Need tips for low budget protein

Options
Hey guys,

I am doing a 40/40/20 macro split on a 1900 calorie diet. I am having a hard time hitting the proteins diet to even get to 200g per day.

I have a low budget and I can't afford doing 3-4 scoops of whey per day (around 35g per scoop). any tips on getting cheap protein? Just protein and minimum everything else please. (i dont want to resort to chugging cottage cheese)

thanks

Replies

• Joluru
    Joluru Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tuna, egg whites, chicken breast, lentils?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, any-meat-on-sale, eggs.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You could try a less expensive protein shake mix - Walmart has one for $20. I cannot recall the brand name, but make sure the first ingredient is whey protein isolate and that will be the right one.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Chinese style tofu, it's better than you think.
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Yes! Use it in a fruit smoothie.
  • stevenyuzk
    stevenyuzk Posts: 88 Member
    Options

damn i am chinese i dont even know that :D will try tho, those are easy to get and cheap
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Whole milk
    tinned tuna
    game (venison, bison, elk) if you hunt or have that cheaply available.
    greek yogurt
    chicken
    egg whites

Edit: went to the kitchen to peek around

turkey bacon
    black beans
    pork loin
    deli sliced cajun chicken
    some types of cheese
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Bro...chicken breasts..flattened out and made into delicious little steaks, or boiled and cut into little cubes and put in a salad. I have the Cheap tub of protein from Walmart...body fortress...honestly, it makes no difference in building muscle. I'd rather eat chicken.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a cut split. Are you cutting after a bulk or plan on cutting first and then bulking and cutting again?
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You could try a less expensive protein shake mix - Walmart has one for $20. I cannot recall the brand name, but make sure the first ingredient is whey protein isolate and that will be the right one.

Body Fortress.
  • stevenyuzk
    Options
    That sounds like a cut split. Are you cutting after a bulk or plan on cutting first and then bulking and cutting again?

cut ->10% bodyfat then i will go from there.
  • stevenyuzk
    Options

Body Fortress.

aight i will check it out. does that have 80%+ protein per serving tho
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I think per serving body fortress loses out to any protein you can buy in bulk (5lb+) but I could be wrong (I haven't really done the math, I switched from it cause it tasted like ****).

Other cheap alternatives include Chicken Thigh (considerably cheaper than breast), Tuna and Lunch Meats. BUY IN BULK! It makes everything considerably cheaper.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

I payed $16 today for Body Fortress at Walmart.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Skim milk powder. Add it to protein powder shakes, mashed potato, milk, cookie dough, Mac and cheese, you get the idea. It can add up and it's cheaper than other protein supplements.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart sells Body Fortress whey protein powder-26 grams of protein in 1 scoop. I love this! They have several flavors but not all wal-marts carry each flavor. My favs are the Cookies and Cream and also Peanut Butter Chocolate. It's $14.99 for the big tub. I had weight loss surgery so part of my plan is daily is shakes, sometimes more than once a day. I couldn't and would never go to a place like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, etc and pay 60+ bucks for a tub of protein, just cant do it! I needed a good tasting powder that didn't taste "whey-ish" and this brand tastes soooo good with no after taste to me. It's like a true dessert. I use their plain vanilla and chocolate flavors to make different types of protein treats also, like oatmeal cookies, banana pancakes, muffins, etc.
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, my local Aldi's in Maryland/DC area sale their FAGE 0% Plain greek yogurt cartons for around $3.50 or so. There is 23grams of protein in 1 cup of their yogurt. (Any other grocery store will carry it too but may be a few cents more) Still a great/cheap protein option. Aldi's also sells their big bags of individually sealed tilapia fillets for around $6-7 bucks and each filet is 4oz with 20 grams of protein.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Tinned tuna, eggs, frozen fish fillets bought in bulk, frozen chicken breast bought in bulk, tofu, almond milk?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    And RE: Tofu, you can make an AMAZING cheesecake/smooth deserts with tofu, I found a lot of vegan dessert recipes called for tofu blended with dark chocolate/milk to make a lot of lovely puddings... Would probably make an awesome thick shake too.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    egg beaters, whey isolate at wal-mart & zero carb Isopure.