Need a REAL change

Options
Hi all!

I've been on MFP on and off for a couple of year, but have never posted a new subject. I'm 23 years old and live the 20-something lifestyle of partying on weekends. I'm physically active, but have always struggled to maintain a healthy weight and am prone to binge eating. I've also struggled with purging for the past five years or so, but never consistantly and not to the point where I have been to seek professional help. I'm currently training for a half-marathon (taking place in 2 and a half weeks!), and while my training is on course, I feel like my weight loss is not. I don't actually lose any weight, and I think this is attributed to my binge eating habits, which I really just struggle to overcome.... It's seems there is a theme for me with the word "struggle". I really want to make a lasting change on my body and feel confident in anything I wear and not be embarrased as the summer comes closer and make up excuses as to why I don't want to be in any form of swimwear. I often follow the various threads on MFP, and think I am finally posting this because I would appreciate any support/ advice to stay motivated and on course (in all aspects of my life) to see what is possible when I do.

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    If you purge at all I think you need to seek professional help. Thinking that it is somehow normal and you dont fit into the category of someone who needs this level of help is wrong. Get help.
  • pelelovesme1011
    Options
    In my opinion, since I am a recovering bulimic, you need to talk to someone if you want to make a lasting change. Exercising and trying to eat right isn't going to help if you have issues that you need to deal with. You binge and purge... that's not healthy... not at all even if it isn't "consistent". It has taken me years to get over my issues and I still deal with them everyday but you have to talk to someone so that your body image does not continue to suffer. Please please please pleeeeease get help. I'm sure I speak for all of MFP when I say we all want the best for you. I'm not saying don't exercise and diet but do it with the help of a professional so that you can overcome these issues.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am so glad you posted!! I know that that means you are ready for the "real" change! Second, you definitely need to stop the binging/ purging. And maybe talk to someone about why you have been doing this. It always helps to talk things out. :happy: I think when you get your mind where it should be the rest follows. At least that is what happened to me. (I can only speak from experience.) And I have exceeded all of my expectations and have lost so much weight and I am a lot healthier. I changed my thinking first.

Congrats on even thinking about much less actually signing up to run a half-marathon! I know you can do this!! Think of it as a complete new start of how you want the rest of your life to be. You have done the first step, asking for help/motivation. I know with every fiber of my being that if you really, truly want this you will achieve it!! remember it is a journey and along the way there might be bumps and bruises, just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and continue. You only fail if you don't get back up again!

Good luck,
    BobbieJo
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    Yep. been there done that. You should probably lay it on the table for your doctor and let him/her get you some guidance. OA is a great program. Private behavioral therapy works wonders. Even certain antidepressants can get the purging under control so you can work on eating healthy foods and portion sizes. PLEASE seek help immediately. You can't achieve what you want on the path you are on anyhow so you may as well make the leap. You can't have weight loss, fitness AND an eating disorder. I learned this the hard way and am trying to show you the shortcut. Good luck and I hope you find healing and wellness as well as self control.
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want it and think about it but you really don't have your mind made up to do it. Weight lose to me is the hardest thing. It really is a lifestyle you have to be ready to do. You need to stop the purging and eat what you want just in moderation.
    So refocus stop purging and live healthy. You can do this with the right help! Hang in there
  • fitnessgal13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for what you've had to say. I really find it helpful and am ready to do my best to make a lifestyle change and get whatever help I need. Appreciate the thoughts!