Struggling with finding the right work outs.....

Options
I first started working out and was using the treadmill which was working well for a few days but then I started getting bored. So then I decided a few days ago to start insanity. But I am no where near ready to start insanity. So today I decided to try the treadmill for only 20 minutes and the elliptical for 40.
That went great because I felt like I was doing something different.
So now I'm thinking I will stick to this new workout plan. And maybe every day I'll switch from 20 minutes on treadmill and 40 on elliptical to 20 on elliptical and 40 on treadmill. Or do 20 on treadmill, then 20 on elliptical, then 20 on treadmill. Then on weekends do in Insanity so I can prevent the soreness and overworking the muscles I was overworking before.

Does this sound like a sufficient weight loss plan? Along with eating right, of course (:

Also, what are YOUR exercise plans? and do you have any advice for me? I have the following: Treadmill, elliptical, mats, weights, pull up bars, yoga mats, yoga ball.

Replies

• chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I say change it up whenever possible. do what is fun. I started the same way you did, then i added zumba spin kickboxing bootcamp and now running. I get bored easy so i gotta mix it up
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start off with an easier workout DVD than Insanity? I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, then Ripped in 30, then Extreme Shed and Shred. I also do C25K 3x a week and a Zumba class once a week. Here is how my workout schedule looks:

Monday: DVD
    Tuesday: c25k
    Wednesday: DVD
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: c25k
    Saturday: Zumba
    Sunday: c25k

I plan on doing Insanity and p90x and feel I am ready for them now that I have done those other dvds first. Plus I am in week 8 of c25k so I'm doing pretty well cardio-wise. Try to get a mixture of strength training and cardio for a well balanced workout.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did the insanity fit test and threw up. nope not that crazy, wont do that again. I did the JM 30 day shred and her kettlebell dvd
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy things and put them back down...repeat.
  • _daydream3r
    Options
    It's good to change up your workout! It tricks your muscles! I get bored with my routine also so I switch every other week between all my stuff. I like to do yoga, kickboxing, JM 30 Day Shred, a dance DVD, walking and stationary bike. Definetly avoid weights if you are just looking to lose weight (fat). If you focus too much on weights and what not you'll gain weight!!! Yeah it'll be muscle but its still gaining! I suggest losing weight then toning.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ...Definetly avoid weights if you are just looking to lose weight (fat). If you focus too much on weights and what not you'll gain weight!!! Yeah it'll be muscle but its still gaining! I suggest losing weight then toning.

^^NO! You will not gain muscle on a calorie deficit, nor do you have the necessary hormones to gain appreciable muscle mass from lifting. You lift weights to retain your current lean mass so the weight you lose is fat, not muscle. Definitely lift weights if you are looking to lose fat.

Why lose a bunch of weight with only half being fat and the other half being muscle only to be a smaller person with a higher bodyfat percent than you would like? Lift so you look like you want to look once the fat is off.

Also, there is no such thing as toning. You either gain muscle, retain muscle, or lose muscle.

This has been a public service announcement.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Definetly avoid weights if you are just looking to lose weight (fat). If you focus too much on weights and what not you'll gain weight!!! Yeah it'll be muscle but its still gaining! I suggest losing weight then toning.

why would anyone even give this advice?
    no matter you shape or goals we all need to at least do light strength training to maintain the muscle as we lose.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Does this sound like a sufficient weight loss plan? Along with eating right, of course (:

Also, what are YOUR exercise plans? and do you have any advice for me? I have the following: Treadmill, elliptical, mats, weights, pull up bars, yoga mats, yoga ball.

Could you be more specific with your goals? Focus on upper, lower, your whole body?
    we can't spot reduce the fat, but we can choose to challenge certain parts more than others.
    I'm pretty useless when it comes to upper body tips, but I'm full of lower body workouts.
    or just stop on by the 30 day leg challenge in groups.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I don't do treadmills or ellipticals. I find them boring and would rather watch all Twilight movies with full actor/director commentary.
    I do: Zumba, walk, occasionally jog, weights, RIPPED classes, swim laps, ride an exercise bike. I also am looking to add in kickboxing classes. I think it's important to add/switch things up so you don't get bored.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill! BUT I only ever use it the way I want when everyone is out of the house. That's because I kind of walk/dance and if anyone ever saw me I would be mortified! I have fun with it though. I can't afford a gym membership here in the UK as none of the ones around me have any good deals (I MISS MY PLANET FITNESS!) and walking on the sidewalks here is not good for me as I have very unstable ankles and the pavement is very uneven (and usually covered in dog mess) so I can turn an ankle too easy. Just plain old walking on the treadmill was getting very boring so I decided to add a bit of excitement to it and dance dance dance. Haven't fallen off yet :laugh: