Some Q's about lifting/diet....

Options
Hiya!

I just have a few questions if you don't mind. I have been reading and searching trying to find what I want to know but not really getting anywhere.

A little about myself first:
Just over a year ago now, I quit smoking (yay!). So as of Jan 2012 I got into this whole healthier me thing. Exercising 3 x a week doing Jillian Michaels/Bob Harper DVD's and once a week I go for an hour long walk with a work collegue. I gained 8kg (17lb) the first 6 months (from quitting smoking/to be expected), I then managed to lose that again over the following 6 months. This brings me to where I am now. Jan 2013 I weighed in at 76kg (167lb), I am 5'9' tall, 30yo female. I still need to lose more weight around 6kg (13lb).

I started doing weights a week ago. We bought a second hand home gym & I am loving it! So 3 days per week i do my DVD and then weights. The first week of weights I have gained 1kg (2lb), which I was also expecting.

So my questions are:

1. I was eating around 1500 per day, but after lots of reading, now that I am lifting I think I should change that to TDEE (2129) - 20% = 1703 per day. Is this correct? As I still have weight to lose, I should still be eating at a deficit?

2. So technically, as long as I am eating somewhere under my TDEE I should continue to 'lose weight'?

3. How long should I expect to see weight gain for since starting lifting? A month? (I know it shouldn't matter, I am taking my measurements also so long as these go down I will be stoked!)

4. I am aiming for low reps/heaviest weight. Seeing as its only my second week my weights workout looks something like this:
Front lat pull down 3x8 30kg
Reverse lat pull down 3x8 30kg
Seated Row 3x8 30kg
Leg extension 3x8 30kg
Ab crunch 3x8 30kg
Chest press 3x10 25kg (last set can only get to 7 reps)
Deadlift 1x8 40kg

Does this look ok? Last week I started on 3x10 25kg for everything to see what I could handle. I didn't want to push myself too much the first couple of weeks. I am a complete newbie to this so hope these are ok?

Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Just wanted to add a photo of what I mean by 'home gym'. I didn't realise it could mean all sorts of things! This is similar to what we have:
http://www.proteussports.com.au/product.php?id=44 :)

Replies

• law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Your work out looks great - as long as you're challenging yourself, you should start to see results. Only you will know if you could do more....

One thing I did see though - you leg extensions could probably be bumped up. Leg muscles are large and strong...it looks like you're pushing around the same 30kg on your legs as you are on your arms!

What I have done recently is combine my cardio and weight routine. I'll run 1/2 mile on treadmill, then do two or three strength exercises. I'lll do that for four rotations, so I end up running 2 miles + complete 8-10 strength moves. It keeps my heart rate up (great for weight loss) while giving me the muscle build I need.

Keep movin'!
  • bonkalkady
    bonkalkady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying! It never crossed my mind that I could lift heavier with my legs, will change that up thanks!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    4. I am aiming for low reps/heaviest weight. Seeing as its only my second week my weights workout looks something like this:
    Seated Row 3x8 30kg
    Leg extension 3x8 30kg
    Ab crunch 3x8 30kg
    Deadlift 1x8 40kg

Three exercises for upper back, none for shoulders. Toss reverse lat pull down for some shoulder presses. Toss leg extension for some squats. JMHO
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Hiya!

I just have a few questions if you don't mind. I have been reading and searching trying to find what I want to know but not really getting anywhere.

A little about myself first:
    Just over a year ago now, I quit smoking (yay!). So as of Jan 2012 I got into this whole healthier me thing. Exercising 3 x a week doing Jillian Michaels/Bob Harper DVD's and once a week I go for an hour long walk with a work collegue. I gained 8kg (17lb) the first 6 months (from quitting smoking/to be expected), I then managed to lose that again over the following 6 months. This brings me to where I am now. Jan 2013 I weighed in at 76kg (167lb), I am 5'9' tall, 30yo female. I still need to lose more weight around 6kg (13lb).

I started doing weights a week ago. We bought a second hand home gym & I am loving it! So 3 days per week i do my DVD and then weights. The first week of weights I have gained 1kg (2lb), which I was also expecting.

So my questions are:

1. I was eating around 1500 per day, but after lots of reading, now that I am lifting I think I should change that to TDEE (2129) - 20% = 1703 per day. Is this correct? As I still have weight to lose, I should still be eating at a deficit?

2. So technically, as long as I am eating somewhere under my TDEE I should continue to 'lose weight'?

3. How long should I expect to see weight gain for since starting lifting? A month? (I know it shouldn't matter, I am taking my measurements also so long as these go down I will be stoked!)

Seated Row 3x8 30kg
    Leg extension 3x8 30kg
    Ab crunch 3x8 30kg
    Deadlift 1x8 40kg

Does this look ok? Last week I started on 3x10 25kg for everything to see what I could handle. I didn't want to push myself too much the first couple of weeks. I am a complete newbie to this so hope these are ok?

Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Just wanted to add a photo of what I mean by 'home gym'. I didn't realise it could mean all sorts of things! This is similar to what we have:
    http://www.proteussports.com.au/product.php?id=44 :)

1. Yes, that is correct.
    2. Yes you will.
    3. It will vary from person to person. Just be patient and trust the process. Drink plenty of water, keep your sodium down, and eat good food and less junk. Oh and protein is super important.
    4. I would follow all the advice of the poster rkr22401. Squats are a god send and probably my favorite lift ever. They are so helpful. The rest looks good. Remember to be increasing your weight over time.

Lemme know if you have any other questions.
  • bonkalkady
    bonkalkady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for answering my questions! I just needed to get it right in my head so I knew I was going in the right direction!
    I have to get heavier dumbells or a bar/weights so I can do the shoulder presses, I only have some lightweight dumbells at the moment that I use in my JM workouts. I do plenty of squat exercises in these dvds too (with the 3kg weights) so thought I had that part covered for now.

Will definately look into getting a proper bar with heavier weight plates to do the squats and shoulder presses though. Increasing the weights is where I am headed :)

Thanks heaps!