Weight and Infertility

Options
Hello all! First a little bit about myself. I'm 35 years old and have been trying to get pregnant for almost two years. I have Endometriosis and PCOS. Despite this, my doctor is still hopeful that i will eventually get pregnant. I have undergone screenings, tests and biopsies. Since my Dr is still optimistic, I am trying to be as well. So, with that I have figured that my weight and eating habits are probably the biggest culprits causing my infertility.

I don't have many women in my life that are going through this, so I am hoping to meet others on here. It's a painful and sensitive issue...makes you feel defective... But you're not alone.

If you're also trying to lose weight in hopes of getting pregnant, I would love to hear from you and we can get our own little support group started!

Replies

• Britton12
    Britton12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are making a good choice to try to lose weight to get pregnant. I was overweight when I got pregnant with my son and ended up with gestational diabetes and had to have a C-section. It was not fun. I have since gained even more weight and do not want to get pregnant over weight again so that is why I am here too! Best of luck to you!!!! We can motivate each other along the way.
  • patster527
    Options
    Hi...I am new on here but I came across your post...I also have PCOS and endometriosis. I have an 18 month old son but my husband and I would like more children. Our first son was conceived via IVF and since we haven't gotten pregnant naturally we are going to be trying IVF again although my dr has said I need to lose some weight. If you are looking for a buddy that would be great...i'm just getting started on here. :smile:
  • jessibee
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and working on losing weight in hopes of getting pregnant. I just had my blood drawn Friday to check for PCOS because I haven't been ovulating, got some crazy chin hairs, and a few other signs of it! I had three miscarriages by 23 years old and really believe my poor nutrition and weight contributed except my last one had an NTD. I'm 27 now and in such a better place in regards to eating healthy whole foods and exercise so I know I am doing everything possible to be my healthiest. I would love to be part of a support group!
  • mommalove1956
    mommalove1956 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 26 and have PCOS. I have had 4 m/c in the last 2 years. They cant figure out why I can get pregnant but that I cant carry. Dr's are saying it is my weight. I know that being overweight is the cause of my PCOS, so I am going to nip it in the bud. I am on metformin now, and my goal is to get off it completely (hopefully). I don't wish this disease on anyone.

What I have learned so far-

Since carbs effect our PCOS, cutting carbs really helps! I am currently on the Adkins diet (some what really), but I eat no more than 50 carbs a day (I try at least its been really hard since I started 2 weeks ago). Also any type of exercise program like curves offers or Interval Training I think works best. I have found that pinterest has god low carb food recipes, so that is where i get a lot of my food ideas. Lastly, I am a firm believer that if you are newly diagnosed with PCOS, any information you can read will help you in the long run. My doctor tried to place me on BC and it did nothing but mess up my system even more (although I have heard it didn't effect others, everyone is different.)

Anyone reading this can add me as a friend. I know heartache and loss, but I also know that one day I will have my rainbow baby!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad I read this. After seeing some of the posts and looking into it, I have quite a few symptoms of PCOS. I've never had regular periods and always attributed it to my eating disorder in high school. I have been recovered for years though and gained a lot of weight over the past few years. My husband and I, while not specifically trying to conceive, haven't had protected sex in over 3 years and I haven't gotten pregnant, even when I was having my period. I was going to go to the DR for breathing problems as soon as my insurance kicks in so now I know something to ask about.

It is scary, but hopefully I'll get some answers.
  • Sandinkler
    Sandinkler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's my pcos or my endo that are the biggest culprits in my infertility. I am currently following a diet designed to help control the pain associated with endometriosis. It is eliminating processed foods as well as gluten, sugar, red meat, dairy, caffeine and alcohol. I've lost 13 pounds in less than two weeks. The weight loss slowed down a bit because "Aunt Flo" was being a total b**** this past week. Dr also upped my clomid from 50mg to 100mg.... this may get interesting.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I could get pregnant now if I wanted to, but I'm trying to be the healthiest I can be while carrying my child because I owe it to them... So I'm hoping to lose at least 40lbs before I try and get preg again. Good luck with your journey. I hope you get to where you want to be.
  • sydney_writes
    sydney_writes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! When I searched the word "endometriosis" on the message boards, this is one of the forums that popped up. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone in this. I've had endometriosis for over five years now and gained weight when I started having PCOS symptoms. I've been married for three years now and I realize that it's the right time to start a family, but I know I need to lose weight to increase my fertility chances. I'd love to meet some endo/PCOS friends on here. Feel free to add me!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was not able to become pregnant until I lost 50lbs. If it is PCOS and not another underlying condition weight loss and getting your insulin levels down is the best chance for you to become pregnant. Insulin levels fall with excercise and reduced carb intake. If getting pregant is a priority your health has to become number one priority. Youre on the right track keep moving foward!

PS-I lost my pregnancy but it was most likely a genetic disruption in the baby. Hoping that God allows me to feel that happiness and bliss and actually get to hold my baby on day. Prayers for us all.