Cal goal using TDEE: I have a question! Please help.

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a TDEE-based approach, log your exercise as "1 calorie", or don't even both logging it here.

If you're regularly burning 1500 cals through exercise, then your TDEE is obviously higher than 2000. But I am assuming the numbers in your post where just throw out there for the sake of discussion.

But what if it isn't regular? For example, my situation? Hiking the 9 miles up and down levees, hills, etc... Sure I maintained a slower pace, 2.5. But I still burned a lot of calories, and that was from my HRM. I am guessing you just go back and recalculate for that day only, yes?
    I wouldn't. As he said, log as 1 calorie. Look at the big picture. Now, if you start doing it once a week, I would change my TDEE. If it's once in a while, then don't change anything.

Okay...here is where I am getting that question from. My TDEE is 2300...so I am eating at 1800. I know don't eat back exercise calories and stuff. I get that part.

On the 6th of January, my husband did our normal monthly hike. We do it once a month only, because of my work schedule, his, etc....there is no way I can do it every week. So that day, on the 6th, I did 9 miles up and down steep levees. My HRM had be as having burned about 2k calories from that hike alone. So you are telling me I still only eat the 1800? Even though I just burned 2k? Just clerifying...lol. And I still "count" the calories on here, I just ignore them. Some people are able to multi-task like that lol.

I vote yes - your body can make some improvements from that workout if it's fed properly. You may not make up enough of the glucose burned before your next workout then. That would be bad.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are going by TDEE no need to log calories on here as it is already apart of your TDEE. If you are going by BMR log your calories on here and MFP will tell you what you've burnt and how many extra calories you can eat. I do BMR but I don't log it and I don't eat back exercise calories.

see i thought i understood and then I read this. lol. So... do YOU just aim for your BMR regardless of what you burn?
  • heybales
    Options
    So if my cals are all over the place and I don't know HOW to even go about calculating my TDEE, should I just take my BMR and then eat my exercise cals? I noticed a lot of people on MFP are doing that.

I just want to do this right. lol

Not BMR, that's too low.

Sedentary with 15-20% deficit. And then exercise calories with same deficit.

Spreadsheet linked in this topic - MFP Tweak tab for exactly this situation.

Still fill out the Activity calculator with whatever is normal and done, and then go to MFP Tweak tab.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    "And I still "count" the calories on here, I just ignore them (exercises I mean). Some people are able to multi-task like that lol. "

this is what I have been doing and people are freaking out about my artificially low NET
  • heybales
    Options
    If you are going by TDEE no need to log calories on here as it is already apart of your TDEE. If you are going by BMR log your calories on here and MFP will tell you what you've burnt and how many extra calories you can eat. I do BMR but I don't log it and I don't eat back exercise calories.

see i thought i understood and then I read this. lol. So... do YOU just aim for your BMR regardless of what you burn?

I would avoid that advice - she said she eats BMR and logs no exercise and does no eat back.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So if my cals are all over the place and I don't know HOW to even go about calculating my TDEE, should I just take my BMR and then eat my exercise cals? I noticed a lot of people on MFP are doing that.

I just want to do this right. lol

It's really not rocket science. Pick an activity level. Usually there's only a few to choose from - Sedentary, Light Exercise, Moderate Exercise, Heavy Exercise.. Take your best honest guess. (I'm really nitpicky and indecisive so I do both Moderate and Heavy and average them together). After several weeks, you can re-evaluate and fine tune if need be. Oh, and you can leave your HRM at home from now on. It's very liberating.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Yup I do :D I do things backwards and what works for me lol. When I log my exercise MFP tells me off for netting under 1200 cals, just a pain in the butt so I don't log any exercise :) I couldn't genuinely guess what my TDEE is. It would differ day to day
  • taso42
    Options

Yup I do :D I do things backwards and what works for me lol. When I log my exercise MFP tells me off for netting under 1200 cals, just a pain in the butt so I don't log any exercise :) I couldn't genuinely guess what my TDEE is. It would differ day to day

It's an average. And you CAN genuinely guess it. In fact, you can compute it empirically based on the past 8 weeks (say) of your daily calorie intake vs the difference in your weight.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

I would avoid that advice - she said she eats BMR and logs no exercise and does no eat back.

Yes I said what I do BUT I also said that other people do eat BMR and EAT BACK exercise calories. I personally do exercise to burn more calories, not exercise so I can eat more
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a TDEE-based approach, log your exercise as "1 calorie", or don't even both logging it here.

If you're regularly burning 1500 cals through exercise, then your TDEE is obviously higher than 2000. But I am assuming the numbers in your post where just throw out there for the sake of discussion.

But what if it isn't regular? For example, my situation? Hiking the 9 miles up and down levees, hills, etc... Sure I maintained a slower pace, 2.5. But I still burned a lot of calories, and that was from my HRM. I am guessing you just go back and recalculate for that day only, yes?
    I wouldn't. As he said, log as 1 calorie. Look at the big picture. Now, if you start doing it once a week, I would change my TDEE. If it's once in a while, then don't change anything.

Okay...here is where I am getting that question from. My TDEE is 2300...so I am eating at 1800. I know don't eat back exercise calories and stuff. I get that part.

On the 6th of January, my husband did our normal monthly hike. We do it once a month only, because of my work schedule, his, etc....there is no way I can do it every week. So that day, on the 6th, I did 9 miles up and down steep levees. My HRM had be as having burned about 2k calories from that hike alone. So you are telling me I still only eat the 1800? Even though I just burned 2k? Just clerifying...lol. And I still "count" the calories on here, I just ignore them. Some people are able to multi-task like that lol.

I vote yes - your body can make some improvements from that workout if it's fed properly. You may not make up enough of the glucose burned before your next workout then. That would be bad.

Roger, doger. Just wanted some clerity lol. I think I will stick with your advice and then if still hungry eat sensibly and log it all.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

It's an average. And you CAN genuinely guess it. In fact, you can compute it empirically based on the past 8 weeks (say) of your daily calorie intake vs the difference in your weight.

The number on the scale isn't an accurate measure
  • taso42
    Options

That's why I said to do it over the last 8 weeks or so, to average out weight fluctuations.
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

That's why I said to do it over the last 8 weeks or so, to average out weight fluctuations.

:grumble: Lol It sounds too confusing for me, I'll stick with whats working :bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol, oh man, that was just an example! I just wanted easy numbers to work with....

So then you mean, if my TDEE is 2000 and I burn (TODAY, because every day is different for me) 1500, I should consume 3500???

When I hear "TDEE includes exercise" does that mean I eat my MFP exercise cals? Or do I ignore my exercise cals and net cals (on MFP) and just shoot for my TDEE in cosumed cals based on the calculations I made on another website?

Today I burned just over 1000 which is a little higher than normal for me.... my goal is 500cals 5 days a week, but sometimes I do less, sometimes I do more.

My BMR is 1581
    My TDEE is 2174
    My TDEE-20% is 1739

Today I consumed 1624 and burned 1095 at the gym. (more than normal, good day) This left me with a net on MFP of 529.

Where do I go wrong if my TDEE is supposed to INCLUDE my average level of activity already?

Thank you!

Not getting the big picture.
    If this is the life you plan to live then i'd say TDEE is a lot higher than you think it is.
    Hit the gym 3-4x a week.
    Thats 3-4 hours a week.
    Stop killing yourself please.
    Adrenal fatigue.
    CNS fatigue.
    Overtraining.
    All not fun.
    Stop killing yourself.
  • taso42
    Options

:grumble: Lol It sounds too confusing for me, I'll stick with whats working :bigsmile:

yeah... lol, and stuff.

my responses were more for the benefit of those who may be reading this thread; to try to steer them around your dubious advice; not for you per se.

lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: if you have a relatively predictable calorie burn during the week, go the TDEE - 15 - 20% as you have been, log your exercise as 1 calorie and if you have an unusually high burn one day/week, log that as at estimated number of excess calories and eat those back.
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    Lol, oh man, that was just an example! I just wanted easy numbers to work with....

So then you mean, if my TDEE is 2000 and I burn (TODAY, because every day is different for me) 1500, I should consume 3500???

When I hear "TDEE includes exercise" does that mean I eat my MFP exercise cals? Or do I ignore my exercise cals and net cals (on MFP) and just shoot for my TDEE in cosumed cals based on the calculations I made on another website?

Today I burned just over 1000 which is a little higher than normal for me.... my goal is 500cals 5 days a week, but sometimes I do less, sometimes I do more.

My BMR is 1581
    My TDEE is 2174
    My TDEE-20% is 1739

Today I consumed 1624 and burned 1095 at the gym. (more than normal, good day) This left me with a net on MFP of 529.

Where do I go wrong if my TDEE is supposed to INCLUDE my average level of activity already?

Thank you!

Not getting the big picture.
    If this is the life you plan to live then i'd say TDEE is a lot higher than you think it is.
    Hit the gym 3-4x a week.
    Thats 3-4 hours a week.
    Stop killing yourself please.
    Adrenal fatigue.
    CNS fatigue.
    Overtraining.
    All not fun.
    Stop killing yourself.

lol what? I go 2 hours a day 5 days a week and I'm hardly "killing myself" half the time it's light exercise like yoga and 3 days a week the other half is only Zumba and a quick 20 minutes of weights (including resting in between)
    just because I'm at the gym 10 hours a week doesnt mean im burning max cals 10 hours a week. i would say I'm at my aerobic level of heart rate only 2-3 hours a week. estimated.

that excell thing is telling me to eat 3000 cals. to maintain. I'm not buying it :/ that seems literally impossible.

when i get to where I want to be I plan to cut down to 2-3 days a week.
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    how am i supposed to know when i go over if i log it as 1 cal?
  • madisons_mummy
    Options

yeah... lol, and stuff.

my responses were more for the benefit of those who may be reading this thread; to try to steer them around your dubious advice; not for you per se.

lol

Actually, there is nothing wrong with my advice. I'm entitled to my own opinion and I like to share my own story/journey.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    how am i supposed to know when i go over if i log it as 1 cal?

Go over what? The TDEE you use includes exercise. If you do more that the activity you assumed in your base, then you should think about either upping your base or including more than 1 calorie to eat back.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf