motherhood and working out

Options
Hi there,
I am a 28 year old mother of 3 children (6,4 & 1). I am trying to get the baby weight off for the last time. I did it once before. I only workout at night after the kids are in bed. I am struggling with balancing sleep, cleaning and everything else that comes along with being a mother. Anyone else out there having the problem.

Replies

• 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    yep its hard all right. i make the time , exercise at home to dvds/on rebounder etc if i cant get to the gym or out for a walk.are you a solo mum?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I struggled for a while, but i figured it out. If it's important to you, you'll find the time. I work 10 hour shifts, sleep 4-5 hrs a night. The kids (4&8) climb in my bed and we sleep late on weekends. Poor hubby picks up the slack, though the poor bugger still can't figure out how to fold laundry. Love and sacrifice. I don't want to get up at 4:30am to work out, but that's what I have to do to accomplish my goals. When the weather is nicer we hike, bike, walk, swim etc with the kids. Including them takes a little longer and I don't get as much of a burn, but it's a great bonding experience.
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep, struggling here aswel :(. I have an 8 weeks old baby and can barely do 20 mins on the treadmill before im a wreck. Im going to try and do my exercise DVDs as I got good results from them before.

All the best! X
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm a mama with 3 boys, ages 2,7,and 8! If my bf isn't home I usually have to workout when its nap time or bed time.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes it is hard to fit everything in... I am a single Mum of two boys aged 7 and 9. I work pretty much full time and have no additional childcare (I make up my hours from home in the evenings and weekends). I do have a treadmill and I'm on it when I have served up the boys tea - stops me wanting to eat theirs too, I get up and do an exercise DVD at 6am before their day starts and don't forget cleaning, dog walking etc all burns cals!!
    Honestly it is about time management, if necessary write yourself out a plan for the week with what you are going to do when, once you have done this for a few weeks you will naturally know when to fit what in.
    Good luck and keep at it and don't be afraid to ask loved ones for help!!!
    Jules xx
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    do you have stairs? I take extra trips whenever I can up stairs. everytime I go , use the upstairs bathroom,
    put away clothes in several trips instead of carrying a basket ect. or if you can, run a few laps.
    spread throughout the day, adds up to quite the calorie burn.

http://startnew-habits.tumblr.com/workout
  • katymuth
    Options
    I'm a mommy of 2 babies, a 4 year old boy and 2 year old girl. I'm active duty AF so I work 10 hour days 5 days a week. I have to plan my meals for the week or I will get off track. Since I don't see my babies that much during the day I wait to workout until they are in bed and I have dishes and stuff done. So not usually until 9:30 or 10:00. It sucks but I know I need to do. I've struggled with my weight since I've had babies, but because of my job I have to be in shape. I started insanity again I'm on my second week. You can do it and know that you are not alone!
  • azryn88
    Options
    yeah.me too i have 2 kids (3,1),they're very hyperactive,im working from 8 to 5 pm and after working hour i go to my in law home to help take care of my mother in law..its really tiring.i have no time to do exercise.
  • 2013Pippa
    Options
    I don't do any exercise, I'm a say at home mom, kids 2,3 and 11. My little ones don't sleep well so it's too late once they're asleep. I just try and be active in the housework, try not to sit down too much, dance to the radio with the kids, whatever. I think in the summer when the kids are in the garden more I can be more active playing with them and going for walks. Until then I just have to diet, it's better than nothing.
  • Leeloominai01
    Leeloominai01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's really hard work but possible. I've was lying in bed last night thinking I need to start my exercise in the evenings again; I feel better in general and about myself, have more energy and am healthier. It's just such a difficult thing to get dressed for exercise at 9PM at night, when all you want to do is fall asleep.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes it is really hard I have a 9 year old boy and a 6 week old girl and I am exhausted haven't been cleared to exercise yet, but before my girl was born I had my son exercise with me. He would do my dvds with me (what he could do) and go walking now that I have the little one I will just have to give up my hour and let her father have daddy time. I am worried about what I will be like going back to work. My son didn't go to daycare till he was a 1 year old.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's hard work but it's do-able! I've got a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I work part time as a secondary school teacher so I have to do planning and marking and things at home too. My husband does shift work so I am often on my own with the kids.

This morning I'm putting my kids in the crèche while I do spinning, then when we'll come back home for lunch and go for a walk after. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym once my husband gets home about 3pm. Thurs I do zumba after work, and then collect the kids from nursery. Fri I usually do personal training after work before collecting the kids. Saturday morning I do aerobics while my husband's home to watch the kids. Sometimes I go to the gym on Wed too after work, although this week Wed will be my day off gym so I'll come home and relxa for a bit before the madness of collecting the kids! I'm doing a PT session this Sunday too while my hubby is at home.

I generally take my kids out for a walk/to the park/to soft play etc every day so get exercise in that way too.

My eldest starts school in Sept, so I'll have to change my exercise routine a bit then as i'll have to pick him up straight after I finish work when my husband's working late shift, so there'll be 3 days a fortnight when i can't exercise straight after work.
  • m5parr
    m5parr Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm solo with two kids, 4 and 2. It''s definitely difficult to get any exercise in! They like to dance with me though and we play horsies, where I'm the horse and they ride on my back. I try to squeeze a few extra difficult push-ups in. When ever I'm just standing around waiting for something (like the microwave) I like to stretch or do arm circles. Little things make a difference too!
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a 28 year old mother of 3, they are 3, 5, and 7. In the morning I drop off the oldest at school, when we get home I sit the younger 2 down to breakfast and I do my dvd currently using jillian micheals ripped in 30 at this point they know to go play in their room til I'm finished.
  • franch71
    franch71 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It is tough! You need to find something you can fit into your routine. Like you, I can't manage evenings (what evenings!?).

What works for me is driving the kids (age 7 and 9) to school (2.5 miles away), leaving the car there, and running home then running back to get them in the afternoon. I don't manage to do this every day but I usually get in about 3-4 runs a week this way - sometimes more.

The kids do an after-school dance class in a local leisure centre; I use the gym in the same building while they're doing their class.

And when they're at Brownies, I work out at home.

If I have to miss some of the above (which happens every week really), I try to make up for lost sessions by doing the 30-Day Shred DVD (which you must get if you haven't already) - just 20 intense minutes. I can fit this in even when the kids are around and sometimes they exercise along with me!

Hope some of this is of some help to you. It's a useful topic.

ALL MUMS, feel free to add me as a friend for mutual support and motivation!
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to find time to exercise too - I have two girls, 5 and 7, and I work full time with an hour commute. By the time they are in bed all I want to do is collapse on the sofa! But we do go for nice long walks at the weekends which helps, and things are better in the summer when we can be outdoors more..!
  • meesh045
    meesh045 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mum of two, they are slightly older than yours which makes it easier, I also work fulltime. I get my little ones involved in exercising with me - we do XBox Zumba classes together (or separately) which is fun, and helps keep us all healthy. I worry a lot about them being affected by my poor habits so I'm making inroads to improve all of our futures.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a mommy of two, 6 year old and a baby that will be 1 this week. If it weren't for my hubby watching the kids, it would be very difficult. I like to work out for 45 minutes+ and my baby doesn't take too many naps and if she does its not for that long sometimes so would be difficult to have to do it during nap time. I also work 40+ hours per week. Basically finding a schedule that works for you and fitting it in where you can is what you have to do. However, sleep is more important at times to me. Before my 2nd child was born, I was doing TurboFire 6 days per week, hard core, but my oldest would play or do other things while I was doing it. It's hard when you have a little one that cannot keep himself or herself occupied like that. So I've also had to learn to be realistic with how much exercise I can do at this point. Take a good look at your week, plan around your schedule, and fit it in where you can. Remember that 20 minutes is better than nothing...or 3 days per week is better than none. Good luck!
  • Bethany7053
    Bethany7053 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, I struggled with this too. I have two children (almost 3 and 1). At first, I bought at home workout videos. I bought Jillian Michaels 30 day shred because it is only 20 minutes everyday and I would do it when they went to sleep. But now that I am in nursing school, I hit the gym for 45 minutes after my last class and then go pick them up from daycare. Its rough but maybe a short home workout video would benefit you, I did the 30 day shred for only 20 minutes a day and it kicked my butt!!
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yup - it's hard to balance but you can do this for yourself and your family. Feel free to add me or any other mamas who need support!

Good luck!