OK worked up the NERVE....

Options
After being awake WAY too late from guilt of going WAY over calories today I have managed to formulate some germaine questions with whatever is left of my mom brain, doped up on guilt and insomnia.

1) Since I went over 500 calories over my plan TODAY, will working out TOMORROW make a difference.
2) For some strange reason I drank something that I know makes me "go" and ate lots of fruit during this guilt trip, and now that I've "gone" my brain is actually trying to convince my that since it happened so soon after consuming those calories, they don't count "as much"...can this be true in any way?
3) Did going that much over calories make me pack on pounds I might have already lost? OR quite the opposite...
4) Could this be counted as "cheat" day as per some guy on here who said some other guy had a "theory" of confusing the body with one day of eating significantly more calories?

Please someone say a good answer and put this guilt and ME to bed already.

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I know a lot about body functions but not nutrition. All I can tell you is pooing doesn't do anything for calories because nutients are absorbed in the small intestine for the most part so all the calories are already in your body systems when you poo. However, if you are abusing laxatives then your body is forcing out food before it gets a chance to digest. You can tell because it wont be solid (the colon absorbs water) and if your body doesnt have time to absorb the water than the ****, literally, comes out. This is super dangerous and can perminantly imparedigestive funstions so be very careful.

As for your 500 over, some people on here go by their weekly net. I don't but I know some do.
  • tattoobabe
    tattoobabe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First off i'd say stop beating yourself up. We've all been on the diet merry go round I know i have and whenever i slip and not track what i eat or graze or eat crap i just say yep i slipped but tommrow is a new day and i will get back on track.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    500 calories only puts you at maintenance, doesn't it? If you are following what MFP sets for you then I think it puts you in a 500 calorie deficit to lose weight, so you wont put on any weight at all.

BEating yourself up will not change what you have already eaten. But a good nights sleep will ensure a better attitude to keep going tomorrow. And sure, do some additional exercise. Your body does not run to a clock like we do. Over the week, it will even out.

Go to bed, sleep well, and keep going tomorrow : )
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Going to bed now. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: One for each of you.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    First of all relax. The fact that you went over 500 calories really means nothing. Some people prefer to look at things on a weekly basis instead of a daily basis for this very reason. Say your goal is lose 1 lb per week and you were eating at a deficit of 500 calories per day. At the end of the week, it wouldn't matter if you hadn't eaten at exactly a 500 calorie deficit each day or if you had gone over 500 calories one day and then eaten at a deficit to make the ground up over the next 6 days.At the end of the week, you're in the same place.

Now, if you use that as an excuse to go over every day, that is another story. So... relax and maybe get in an extra 10 minutes on your workout tomorrow.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - sweet dreams - as others said 500 should put you at maintenance.... So not a total train smash.....

More importantly - when you wake up think about what happened, and what you can do next time when you face the same situation.... Plan ahead, and know how to manage and minimize the cravings - it makes it so much easier to cope...
  • Empelol
    Options
    Hi,

So much bro-science in one post, it hurts. Let me clear things up for you:

0. Guilt and insomnia gets you nowhere. Why would you over-eat in the first place? Are you some sort of animal that is being rewarded with food for doing good? Work-out, count your calories, count your macros. Leafy greens fill you up, so does water

1. Lets reverse it: Will over eating make a difference tomorrow? Of course it does. Do your work-out and do not half-*kitten* it. Getting and staying in shape is a continuous activity.
    2. I don't even understand what you are trying to say. Calories in - Calories out. Timing does not really matter, if you consume more than your body needs a day then it will show. 500 calories are 500 calories, period. Also, fruits are simple carbs (Fructose is sugar basically) and you should eat that in moderation
    3. 1 pound is about 3500 calories in or out (depending if you are bulking or cutting), meaning the 500 calories surplus you consumed equals to about 0,14 extra pounds mathematically, but so many factors are unknown that it is impossible to tell exactly. Carbs help water retention so it might be even more. What do you mean whit opposite? If you eat more, you gain weight, its mathematics, not rocket science.
    4. That is as bro-science as it can get, please forget about such ideas.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you need to eat 3500 calories over your TDEE to gain a pound, so no, you haven't gained. However, depending on sodium content you could retain water and it could look like you've gained. Any gain should disappear within a few days though.
    The best thing to do the day after a day like that is to drink plenty of water, exercise a bit extra and just take it as a new day. In the long run those 500 calories won't really matter.

What you may want to do is ask yourself WHY you went over like that. Are you feeling deprived? Hungry? Perhaps you should eat more? Or was there a psychological trigger?
    Knowing why it happened can help you prevent it from happening again in the future.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    After being awake WAY too late from guilt of going WAY over calories today I have managed to formulate some germaine questions with whatever is left of my mom brain, doped up on guilt and insomnia.

1) Since I went over 500 calories over my plan TODAY, will working out TOMORROW make a difference.
    2) For some strange reason I drank something that I know makes me "go" and ate lots of fruit during this guilt trip, and now that I've "gone" my brain is actually trying to convince my that since it happened so soon after consuming those calories, they don't count "as much"...can this be true in any way?
    3) Did going that much over calories make me pack on pounds I might have already lost? OR quite the opposite...
    4) Could this be counted as "cheat" day as per some guy on here who said some other guy had a "theory" of confusing the body with one day of eating significantly more calories?

Please someone say a good answer and put this guilt and ME to bed already.

The person that mentioned maintenance is correct.

I do the weekly view and thus my calorie goals is all over the place all week long but at the end of the week, it balances out. I lose just fine. Your body doesn't go by the clock. It doesn't say, "hey, it's midnight, it's a new logging day."

Your weight loss will not be linear anyway. So some weeks you'll lose and some weeks you won't, but in the end it balances out.

Your weight fluctuates all the time. There are lots of reasons for this. So if you get on the scale tomorrow and it took a spike, don't listen to that. The math works out. Trust it. It'll be okay. Look for a loss over time.

Don't try to play a guessing game with poop or vomit. Move on.

Sometimes having a spike day is good for your body but I buy more into the fact that over time your calories should measure out where you want them to. It's a trend, rather than an absolute.

What MFP gives you is an estimate. Again, take the data and measure a trend over time and see what happens. One day is not an absolute picture of anything.

Yes, relax. You did fine. Even if you didn't lose anything for that day, you didn't gain and you have 6 other days this week to provide a deficit.

What I DON'T do is go over 3,000 calories and then starve yourself for the week. I might go a few hundred less on another day though or do a little more exercise but if at the end of the week, I'm a few hundred calories over overall, that's also still a good deficit for the week. Let it go.

The goal is to lose over time. The goal is to eat less than you expend. You are doing fine. Your body won't suddenly gripe at you and yes, doing that workout will help you. Get to it

Relax but be diligent too. Good luck!