Anyone here WAPF/GAPS/Paleo?

Options
Not sure if this is even being posted in the right place, but it seemed like the closest forum for it...

I try to lean in the WAPF direction and use some GAPS-types of foods, which of course also overlaps into the Paleo arena. I think it works best for my thyroid/hormonal needs, for my mental health, and for digestion. However, on many nutrition and weight loss forums, I'm finding it rather difficult to find like-minded individuals who understand that lard (from a reputable source) is not evil, that bone broth can work miracles, and that grains are not necessary. In the past, I lost 30 lbs with very little effort, by simply implementing the cooking methods and variety of foods emphasized in these philosophies--and by going gluten free. I think the gluten free was the major player, since my thyroid condition is triggered by gluten, and it's also... well... glue. Gluten really isn't good for anyone--we just each tolerate it on different levels.

All this rambling to say... I'd really love to meet some others here who share my food philosophy, and also share some ideas, tips, and recipes to lose weight in a healthy way, without the processed foods, while promoting gut health, and supporting the endocrine and nervous systems.

Sooo... anyone with me? :happy:

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No idea what WAPF or GAPS is, but I tend to simply take the most sensible and logical parts from all the various ways of eating out there, and have everything else in moderation.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    WAPF = Weston A Price Foundation (http://www.westonaprice.org/)

GAPS = Gut And Psychology Syndrome (http://www.gapsdiet.com/)

Both promote Traditional foods, with lots of broth, organ meats, fermented foods, no grains, no fear of [natural] fat, raw milk (if any), etc.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo
  • oskarsdombrava
    Options
    Well I been using http://getnow.org/paleo/ for 2 months now, lost already 30 pounds. It helps!
  • sageproduce
    sageproduce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes I've switched to eating Paleo/WAPF two weeks ago. In 2012, I cut out fast foods foods, switched to grass-fed or pastured meat sources and started using better fats (pastured butter, coconut oil and pastured lard). However, i did not cut out my artisan bread, chocolates, and other goodies that were reeking havoc on my blood sugar. So this January, I started the Whole30 challenge at whole9life.com, which is a thirty day elimination diet with no sugar, dairy, beans or grains. After the thirty days I will start eating grass-fed, raw milk and heavy cream again. The first week was hard as I had my 'carb/sugar flu' and my body detoxed from easy carbs. Now I feel really good, i find that even with eating calorie and fat dense foods, I can easily stay at my calorie goal. I made a chicken and pork liver pate yesterday and was amazed how just a few tablespoons with celery and carrots filled me up for dinner and kept me full all night. So far I've lost 8.5 pounds and I'm feeling good.

One of the resources I really love for support is Balancedbites.com and their podcast balanced bites. It is hosted by two women with a nutrition background that have turned to a paleo/wapf diet. They are incredibly supportive, provide a lot of great information and can speak to the emotional eating issues that many women-like myself-face.

I hope this helps and lets be friends!
    Liz
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm late chiming in on this, but did a search for WAPF just to see if there were others who follow that eating style on here. Just wanted to say, although I'm relatively new to that way of eating, I'd love to know if people have successfully lost weight while following that eating style — and I'm glad to see it appears you have!
  • SeattleGal2015
    SeattleGal2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in GAPS and eat as Paleo as possible - my son and I do very well on little or no grains :-) Go ahead and add me as a friend if you're into similar stuff :-)