Restart

Options
ncurtis52
ncurtis52 Posts: 17 Member
How many times will I have to restart this weight loss thing/?? UGH! I am not as much discouraged as I am just angry with myself. I am 60 years old and I have stopped and started losing this 50lbs a million times in the past ten years. I want it gone. GONE. I start out like gangbusters only to wane and give in to eating out or not taking the time to fix healthy foods, instead reaching for trash. Anyone else had these struggles? Tips on restarting?

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    fill your house with healthy snacks like nuts and seeds, throw out all the rubbish and stock up with clean lean foods only. Exercise at least half hour each day even if it's just a walk.

Once you get into it your mood changes and have more energy. Then you look back at what you use to do and your old habits and smile at the future ahead. Keep at it and don't go backwards only forwards.

Only you can make it happen, but theres plenty of people on here who are in the same boat and we help each other out
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    The best thing I've done is look at it as a life style not a diet. I try and make healthy choices......some times I fail but I don't beat myself up I just move on. Don't let 1 slip up kill your efforts. Eating habits take time to change! Eventually you will have less and less slip ups.
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My life story, but when you find the secret, please let me know.Good news, you haven't been defeated, because you start all over again, that my friend is a good thing !!!!!!!!
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    oh it is too true!@! My tip: Make it easier to eat healthy than to not. DONT have high cal low nutrition options in your house at all. Make sure that you never go out shopping while hungry. Always have a bag of nuts or a banana in your car (make sure its not the same banana for too long!) and keep some healthy snacks in your drawer at work. Eat before going out to lunch (weird but trust me..) so that you can only have a salad or something at lunch and still be within your limits.

Small things.... drop the sugar, salad dressing, sodas, skin on chicken, fat on red meat, empty carbs (including cakes, potato products and most breads.)

BTW -a restart is ok. At least it is a restart. The problem is not the restart, its what leads to a restart. Be STRONG!! This is going to be your YEAR!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Stop quitting and you wont have to worry about restarting
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you're quitting every time, why? Is it because you're doing something that is unsustainable for you long term? Take baby steps. Change little things. You don't have to starve to lose weight, I'm not a fan of the 1200 calorie that MFP puts everyone on. Is your exercise routine too hard or too boring? Find something you like better.
    And not trying to be mean here, 'if its important to you you'll find a way, if not, you'll find an excuse'. So is it important?
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    And not trying to be mean here, 'if its important to you you'll find a way, if not, you'll find an excuse'. So is it important?

Simon? Simon Cowell? Is that you? ;)
  • on2anewme
    on2anewme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Totally understand where you are coming from and enjoying all of the awesome support you have recieved here! I think part of my problem is that I don't really, truly believe I will do it. When I remember to believe I can do it, I do much better and feel so much more in control and my mood improves as well as all my outlook.
    I'm 52 years young and trying to get it right. I ask myself, how long does it take. Still looking to myself for the answers.

Good luck on your journey, believe in you, and friend me if you want another friend!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Simon? Simon Cowell? Is that you? ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Stop quitting and you wont have to worry about restarting"

I would add the above comment to the simon reference too!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every time I had to restart my lifestyle change, I wouldn't need to work and I could hire a chef and a personal trainer!

My advice is similar to what has already been said, you need to find the reason you are failing. It isn't enough to just berate yourself for failing, you need to look inside yourself and find out why. Someone suggested sustainability, that's a great place to start. Is what you are doing compatible with the life you lead?

I can tell you after many starts and stops, I have found my weakness. I apparently am a person who can not eat high calorie foods in moderation. It's like a drug to me. A crack addict can't have just a little crack and be ok...that's how it is with me and food. Last week, we ordered pizza for the kids at school. I told myself I was going to have one piece because I hadn't eaten dinner yet and I wasn't going to be home for another 4 hours. I had enough calories left for 1 piece. That was all and good, but I ended up eating 3 pieces! With garlic butter! I get disgusted with myself too, just like you said, so I have decided that since I cannot stop, that means that I cannot let myself start. That is my weakness.

Good luck finding your kryptonite. Once you know what it is, you can fight it. The important thing is that you are back here to restart. Keep fighting.
  • da2825
    da2825 Posts: 1
    Options
    Once I started br ing a little more realistic with my foods, I finally lost. I found that 1200 calories was too little for me. I try most days to hit that mark but sometimes I go over a bit (100-200). AND what helped me most is taking one day a week & eating what I want. Granted I've just restarted, after falling off the wagon a few months. Ive gained back like 7-8 lbs & I know I have to reel it in or it can get out of control again. Good luck & don't give up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!