haven't pooped for 3 days

Options
i haven't pooped for 3 days. i don't understand when i am eating more fruit and veggies why i'm not going. they say that has alot of fiber, yet here i am 3 days and nothing. i am drinking more then my 8 glasses of water and i'm not eating cheese since that constipates me. any suggestions

Replies

• maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    get some milk of magnesia ..if that doesnt work get a bisacodyl suppository .... if that doesnt work then drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and stay near a toilet for the day because magnesium citrate is the Liquid Plumber for the human intestinal tract
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    get some milk of magnesia ..if that doesnt work get a bisacodyl suppository .... if that doesnt work then drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and stay near a toilet for the day because magnesium citrate is the Liquid Plumber for the human intestinal tract

None of the above! Your body is just adjusting to your new diet, be patient.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i disagree .three days without pooping is not good ..really milk of magesia should do it . and then you should be fine after that . it wont harm you ..and i agree that her body is adjusting too . but three days you just need a little help with that
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Culturelle probiotics - you can get them at any pharmacy or Walmart. These were recommended to me by a surgeon after my intestinal surgery. Taking them for a few months put my system back to normal.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    This is what has been the hardest part of my new lifestyle - staying regular. The more yoga I do, the more exercise I do ,the less this is an issue. But I will tell you it doesn't sort it self out by the week with exercise and eating healthy seek other remedies. Or if you are totally miserable now
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat some yogurt or some other pro-biotic rich food. Your gut bacteria might be a little out of whack with a change in diet. I always go for the food fixes before resorting to store bought remedies.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with the probiotics. Also try taking a slow and long walk. The body responds to activity.

I used to be chronically constipated, but started taking a magnesium supplement in the evenings before bed, and haven't had an issue since. Americans tend to be magnesium deficient due to how our water is purified. Try taking just a small amount of plain old magnesium, say 200 mg, in the evenings. Don't get one of those combo vitamins, as it doesn't work the same for some reason.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eat some natural liquorice
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I find having some dried fruit , such as prunes to be helpful. It seems to happen to me if we've had really hot weather, and if I cut out lollies and soft drinks.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Yes it is adjusting so get some herbal tea called "Smooth Move" and let one bag steep for 15 mins....do not take any of the other crap on the market because you do not want to strip your intestines of the good flora! Drink a cup of tea before bed...it is all natural and it is not harsh on your system :-)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    What always works for me is going to a store where the restroom is out of order. haha

Seriously though - my body does the same thing when I change my diet, also for no reason at all. I usually wait it out. Lately I've been using psyllium (like Metamucil) to try to establish regularity.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    when i cant poop I drink a tall starbucks coffee, black.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes it is adjusting so get some herbal tea called "Smooth Move" and let one bag steep for 15 mins....do not take any of the other crap on the market because you do not want to strip your intestines of the good flora! Drink a cup of tea before bed...it is all natural and it is not harsh on your system :-)

THIS....
    I was having an issue, but this stuff is great. and it is pretty natural.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    12-16 glasses of water, chia seeds in Greek yogurt, and strength training. Have you given up coffee? Sometimes that can affect your regularity.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Have you cut your fat intake suddenly? Fat is an often-forgotten contributor to staying regular. About 30% of your calories should be coming from fat.

But, yeah, your body is adjusting. Whatever you do, do not drink anything containing senna leaves. I mention it since I see people recommending laxative teas, and some of them contain senna, which can damage your intestines.
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you s**tin' me! - ooops, no you're not. :)

In all seriousness, I find movement help speed things along quite a bit. Especially movement which my body is unaccustomed to (like jumping on a trampoline.)

Otherwise, some green tea?

Good luck!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    3 days isn't so bad when you're starting a new diet.

Exercise is definately a good idea. And try eating oranges and prunes - natures laxatives!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you cut your fat intake suddenly? Fat is an often-forgotten contributor to staying regular. About 30% of your calories should be coming from fat.

But, yeah, your body is adjusting. Whatever you do, do not drink anything containing senna leaves. I mention it since I see people recommending laxative teas, and some of them contain senna, which can damage your intestines.

^^^^
  • tarathering
    tarathering Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go almost a week without going. The doctors tell me that's normal?! Everyone's body is different. I eat a ton of fiber and drink almost double the amount of water most people do. Occasionally, I resort to pills or power aids to help. Greasy foods, like McDonalds (naughty) usually does the trick too. Good luck!
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Yup, make sure you're moving along with eating the fruits and veggies. I would try that first before putting any kind of meds into your system