Serious training for century rides

Options
I've got 4, maybe 5 centuries planned between February 17 and June 22. I'm hoping to ride the June one 25 pounds lighter than I am now. Who else has centuries planned?

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do one in 2013. Haven't picked it out yet.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    June 8, Flying Wheels

July 13-14, STP (Seattle to Portland): 200 miles over 2 days

Hoping to do at least one more in either late August or September.

At the slow rate I lose, would like to be at least 10# lighter by the June one but I'd be happy with 5 at this point. :grumble:
  • montykirk
    montykirk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RAIN ride (ride across Indiana) is 160 miles- 1 day ride. I'm hoping to jump that hurdle this year.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do my centuries in the Mud. I have the south downs way in a day 100 (Mile) off road MTB planned. Inevitably as part of training I will enter others. Want to get under 12 hours this year (its REALLY tough).

Also want to do the london to paris (off road ) which is 300 (k) over three days. But the support logistics are causing me a problem.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've got a few planned, including a two day double century in May, TOSRV; River Rendevous in July and our club century in Sept. which is a hill hunters dream here in WV. I usually add a few other fun or social long rides throughout the season, but these are the 3 I always try to hit.

I improved my ride time for the Mother's Day Century ride by almost 2 hours, from 7.5 hours in 2011 to 5:43 in 2012. There were differences in my training and the weather, but the main thing was I was 20 pound lighter. This year I'd like to do it in 5hrs, so training and weight are both pretty big this go around.

Good luck.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I did a metric century this month. I have a century planned for July. So far that's all I have planned but I definitely want more. I'll find more for sure.
    I have set a goal of riding 4000 miles this year so I need as many as I can get.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i got a 206km ride planned for June (Wiggle Dragon Ride) over 3,350m of climbing.

Did it last year but suffered half way around with bad cramps in my thighs, still finished but took me about 10hrs to complete. Planning on doing more hill work in preperation this time around and looking at improving my nutrition/hydration before and on the day.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Going on 3 years now I participate on the Tri-State Trek from Boston to New York, its a 3 day ride consisting of 360 miles. My first year I did day 1, 103 miles, last year I did all three days and this year I am most likely doing day 1 again. The ride benefits ALS, which is dear to my heart. If anyone in the area (or not!) is interested I can give you a wealth of information on the details!
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have committed to least 3 century rides planned in April and May:
    -Cheaha Challenge (Piedmont AL) April 21
    -Tour De Blue (Birmingham AL) April 27
    -3 States 3 Mountains (Chattanooga TN) May 5

I have also committed to doing:
    -Mountain Goat Century (Birmingham, AL Sept 14
    -The 6 Gap Century (Dahlonega GA ) a ridiculously challenging ride on Sept 29

I hope to sneak in a few others as well, family scheduling/commitments permitting. I did all of the above last year (plus a couple of others) at 220 to 230 lbs. This year I hope to do them at 200 lbs. This will be key as they all include a lot of climbing.
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm a Century ride virgin and looking to do something about that this year. Depending on when I get my new bike I'm thinking about April / May, and depending on how that one pans out I may do some more. The 1st will be solo to establish a time, but the others I want to do will be organised events. Just researching saddles at the moment as I think that will be the difference between a good century or a really bad one.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I haven't chosen mine for 2013 yet. I may do some tougher mountain pass rides that won't be quite 100 miles but will probably be harder. I just need to decide how badly I want to hurt myself. I don't want to do another springtime century because I was so burned out by then that I barely rode for the rest of the summer.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    www.trainingpeaks.com
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get back to riding some longer stuff - but with current family commitments, anything over 5 hours out of the house is pretty much out of the question - so, until I can get back to keeping a decent tempo up, I guess i'm stuffed :sad:
  • David1540
    David1540 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mountains of Misery, near Blacksburg VA. 103 miles, about 11,000 feet of climbing, most of it at the end. Hope to be 25 lbs lighter this year. It's Memorial Day Sunday, so I have a little time, and training always takes off some.
  • rs197290
    Options
    i just registered for the Redbud Ride in South Central Kentucky. This will be my first full century. I have completed a metric century a couple years back. Looking forward to it.