So tired and can't stop eating please help....

Options
Hi
I have been so tried since the New Year and since then always seem hungry. All over the Christmas hoildays I was fine. Ate a little bit more but nothing really only put on 2lbs ( think that was the alcohol). Since the New Year I seem to be looking for snacky foods all the time. Also I am so tried I am in work now typing this and could quite easy shut my eyes and sleep.
I have lost 46lbs up to now since June 12 and have another 40lbs to go.

Can anyone suggest some foods or anything that might stop this sluggishness. All I want to do is hibernate until spring. :-(

Replies

• xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Exercising? What does a typical day of food look like?
  • Grizzles66
    Options
    You also need to get plenty of sleep! Depriving yourself of sleep can be weight loss suicide - I would focus first on getting a consistent sleep schedule together of ideally 8 hours each night and see if that helps with the snacking.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    First, make sure that you're getting enough sleep. 8 hours isn't right for everyone, but you probably know what generally works for you.

Second, look into a natural light lamp. I was told about this by a doctor, to deal with the seasonal blahs. Basically, the lamp simulates natural sunlight, and can help fight those winter blues and tired feelings but giving our bodies more of … yep, the natural light. I haven't tried one yet, but it sounds like a neat idea. (I was told to look at both Lowe's and Ikea, IIR).

Have you had your iron checked lately? This can also be a common cause of feeling tired, especially for women.

As far as foods, make sure you are still getting plenty of colors (fruits/veggies, not skittles :laugh: ) and enough protein. Some of the B vitamins have a reputation to help give you energy. A multivitamin may help. Also get enough protein, and enough carbs. But make sure you track your calories and don't go over - you don't need more calories (most likely)!
  • MiraiKuma
    Options
    When I get lethargic and can't seem to stop eating it is because my body is craving something but I don't know what. First of all go to a doctor. Our advice could kill you because it could be a serious problem

That being said, start with a multi vitamin in the morning, drink a glass of water as soon as you get up, and force yourself outside for at least a one mile walk. Since you are on my fitness pall see how much you are eating and at one time. You may not be eating at the right times or eating all of your calories in on meal. Spread them out. Lastly I rarely get potassium. This is my problem. See if what you are eating gets you the correct nutrients. Potassium, vitamin k, iron, ect. These are not in all foods and are harder to get which is why I recommend the multi vitamin. Multi vitamins should never replace real vitamins in foods, they should supliment them. That way in case you aren't hitting your vitamin needs in one area in one day, you have the vitamin to rely on. Your body does not even digest a vitamin pill the same way the food is. Alway try to get your recommended vitamins in your food, never rely on the pill.

Lastly, go to the doctor and don't just follow our advice. Our advice worked for us, it will not always work for someone else.

I agree with Grizzles66. Sleep is very important.

This is also how I lost all my weight. I went from around 460 to currently 310.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds counterintuitive, but exercise gives you energy. You don't have to do anything strenuous, just a walk will be fine. Can you go for a stroll anywhere in/around your workplace at lunch? When you get home?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I agree about going to a doctor .......

When I start feeling out of sorts, I look back on my food log ....... I often find that I've been dipping into the sugary stuff, baked goods, salty snacks ...... instead of vegetables & protein ...... when I eat cleaner for awhile my energy level comes right back .....

Drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep and it at all possible, when you feel groggy, get some fresh air & a little exercise :drinker:

Best of luck !
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yea, I kind of feel the same way. for me I think its because of the weather and I can't get out to go walking. I've been stuck like you for months(I think since I haven't been able to go walking everyday). I'm just patiently waiting for it to warm up.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It maybe medical. Have you ever had your vitamin D levels checked? Mine were very low, and I was SO tired, I barely had the will to get up. It made me feel like I could just lay down and sleep all day. I was almost afraid to blink for fear I would fall asleep if my eye lids were shut for too long.
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, is there any chance you could be depressed and just noticing it in your body more than in your heart? Feeling low energy and eating a lot are really common symptoms of depression, especially the seasonal kind (if you're in the northern latitudes this time of year). Thyroid could be another issue. All good reasons to see your doctor.

And I'd echo everyone else with ensuring you're getting enough sleep and just some gentle exercise - that helps me when I go through those phases.
  • horses7777
    Options
    Is there any chance you could be pregnant?
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are taking about!
    Thanks for posting the issue
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you having trouble sleeping, or staying up too late? Proper rest is important. Fatigue can affect hormones that regulate hunger, so if you are tired all the time, it's no surprise that you also feel the need to overeat.

Are you eating enough protein? Not getting enough can sometimes make me feel sluggish and tired. Eating too close to bedtime can affect sleep for some people, so if you are having trouble sleeping you might try not eating 1-2 hrs before turning in for the night.

ETA: do you get enough vitamin D? A deficiency in D can cause fatigue. Many people need a supplement in winter because thier skin is not exposed to sunlight enough.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yes, a doctor visit should be on your list of Things To Do Very Soon. It could be any number of things making you feel tired. My aunt dieted for 2 years and lost a good amount of weight but still weighed 200 pounds, and her blood work was crazy, her main symptom was feeling tired all the time. she was anemic and needed B12 shots and had to start taking super vitamins. basically, she had a restricted diet for so long, she was starving to death. at 200 pounds. :frown:

other things that would cause you to be tired are: depression, thyroid issues, and diabetes.

all of these health issues (except the depression) can be detected with simple blood work. Call the dr.!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    yes, a doctor visit should be on your list of Things To Do Very Soon. It could be any number of things making you feel tired. My aunt dieted for 2 years and lost a good amount of weight but still weighed 200 pounds, and her blood work was crazy, her main symptom was feeling tired all the time. she was anemic and needed B12 shots and had to start taking super vitamins. basically, she had a restricted diet for so long, she was starving to death. at 200 pounds. :frown:

other things that would cause you to be tired are: depression, thyroid issues, and diabetes.

all of these health issues (except the depression) can be detected with simple blood work. Call the dr.!

Yes. This! Don't allow the DR to take it with a grain of salt either. I have had that trouble with doctors in the past. I tried talking about my appetite and how I couldn't stop eating. He didn't even allow me to finish talking. He simply interrupted with the generic, useless same old dvice. Eat more protien, eat several smaller meals, drink more water, get more sleep! NONE... and I do mean NONE of these things have EVER, EVER, EVER worked for me. I eventually figured out what was driving me to eat like a tasmanian devil and now I am working on getting it under control. But realy, insist that you be taken seriously. Doctors may be educated, but that doesn't mean they always do their jobs well.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice..... usually I go the gym in the morning before work. was doing this religiously before Christmas... I have lapsed a bit since then.
    I will up my veggies and fruit and start with a multi vit. I will go to Ikea and see if they have the light as I am definately a different person when the spring comes. Can't stand the winter and the dark

If all this doesn't work then I will call the Dr....

Thanks
    Amanda
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get 7-9 hours solid sleep. Sleep is more important than exercise if you feel tired through a whole day. Try eating fruit when you feel like this or sweet vegetables as the sugar should pick you up a bit.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    No way I could be pregnant I had a full hystectomy 2 yrs ago now.
    But I can understand why you said it.
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - the "natural light" bulbs at the hardware store and Ikea refer to the color of the light and not intensity. You need a really bright light to suppress melatonin secretion to really help with the winter blues - so those bulbs are not going to do it, you need something that is a light therapy device. Amazon has one for $80 right now with their "coupon" - this is a really reputable one:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3321-Golite-White-Blue/dp/B003XN9ZQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358779802&sr=8-2&keywords=Golite

I don't work for the company or anything, I just have an earlier incarnation of this one and it has been a godsend for me (and I've leant it to friends too)
  • sblackwood77
    sblackwood77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    first off, don't give up! I am new to this site andd just started my weight loss journey Jan 6th. look how far you have come, 46 lbs. is amazing!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - the "natural light" bulbs at the hardware store and Ikea refer to the color of the light and not intensity. You need a really bright light to suppress melatonin secretion to really help with the winter blues - so those bulbs are not going to do it, you need something that is a light therapy device. Amazon has one for $80 right now with their "coupon" - this is a really reputable one:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3321-Golite-White-Blue/dp/B003XN9ZQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358779802&sr=8-2&keywords=Golite

I don't work for the company or anything, I just have an earlier incarnation of this one and it has been a godsend for me (and I've leant it to friends too)

Yes, this. 5000 lux and up is the minimum intensity you need, 10,000 is better. And be prepared to spend 30-120 mins a day or more within 2-3 feet of it. (Mine sits on my desk at work, and boy do I feel it when I can't get to the office - like now with the snow & ice here).