My weight loss has stalled. Help!

Options
I am no longer lossing weight. Is this due to the dreaded plateau, or muscle gain from circuit training with the Supreme 90 day workout, or my crappy scales are wrong? What can I do?

Replies

• ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    did you take your measurements when you started??? If so take them again and see if you are losing inches
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Need more details... Can you open your diary? Let us know how much/what you are eating?How are you calculating your calorie burn? Eating exercise calories?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agree. Also, how long are we talking? Most people don't consider it a plateau until it's been 3-4 weeks with no weight loss.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Is your diet in check? A lot of the time after we have lost some weight we tend to let our diet slack a bit. Are you still weighing all solids? Using measuring cups/spoons for liquids? Are you counting every little thing you eat/drink (condiments, cream/sugar/milk/etc in coffee/tea, dressing on salads, oils used with cooking, etc)? Are you tracking your sodium and getting enough water? Extra sodium can cause you to see gains on the scale.

Have you switched up your workout routine lately? That can cause your muscles to retain water for repair which causes you to gain weight temporarily. Are your muscles sore from your workout? If they are you are most likely retaining water for muscle repair. Are you eating your exercise calories back? If you aren't you may not be eating enough. If you are you may be overestimating them.

If you have been doing the same exercises for a while switch them up. The more you do something the less your body will work as it can get used to the exercise you do. Always switch things up every few weeks. Change the exercise... change the intensity... change the time. Are you taking any rest days to let your body repair itself?

How long has it been since you have lost weight? One week isn't a plateau. One week could be a lot of things. Your weight changes due to hormones... due to what you eat... etc.

Weight loss is not linear. You won't lose every week. Some weeks you will, some weeks you will stay the same and some weeks, regardless of your effort, you will gain. It is a natural part of weight loss. I would bet it isn't muscle unless you are eating close to or above your maintain calories. Building muscle on a calorie deficit is almost impossible to do.

Are you weighing at the same time, under the same circumstances each week? Is your scale in the same spot as it was before? Is the scale on a hard, flat, level floor or is it on carpet/uneven floor? Does the battery need to be replaced? Are the feet of the scale completely clean? There are a lot of things that will affect the scale results just based on where the scale is. Is the scale moved frequently? BUmped, kicked, etc?
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Now-or-never, I recently started the supreme 90 day program which is intense circuit training. I had only been doing cardio before so you might be on to something with the muscles retaining water. I am very sore after my workouts. I am actually measuring and logging my food more carefully than before. I have not lost weight in three weeks almost which is about when I started Supreme 90. Thank you so much for a reasonable answer. Also as soon as I find my measuring tape, I will take my measurements to see how they have changed.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1. Can't see your diary.
    2. Can't see your weight.
    3. Can't see your goal weight.
    4. Can't see your starting weight.

So, completely generic advice.

TDEE (don't eat over)
    <---Eat here somewhere.
    BMR (don't eat under)