for the guys on here...calories

Options
2»

Replies

• elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't go so low you kick into starvation mode man. That will halt your progress quick, fast, and in a hurry. They say max reduction is 1k under your resting burn rate. You'll have to look up what that is for your height and weight. My resting is supposed to be 2500 so I'm on a 1500 budget.

If you keep the right proportion of protein to carbs/fat then you won't lose the lean muscle mass. What's the right proportion? I'm not certain but just target foods high in protein and low in fat. Grilled chicken is my new best friend. Almond milk rocks my world. A protein shake starts the day off great. I use a standard shake but there are low cal options if you need to balance out better. For me I need the extra cals early in the morning, and I have a general distaste for artificial sweeteners and what not.

Hang in there man, be religious about your logging and be patient. If you keep doing the right things over time you have a 95% chance at getting the results you want!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't go so low you kick into starvation mode man. That will halt your progress quick, fast, and in a hurry. They say max reduction is 1k under your resting burn rate. You'll have to look up what that is for your height and weight. My resting is supposed to be 2500 so I'm on a 1500 budget.

If you keep the right proportion of protein to carbs/fat then you won't lose the lean muscle mass. What's the right proportion? I'm not certain but just target foods high in protein and low in fat. Grilled chicken is my new best friend. Almond milk rocks my world. A protein shake starts the day off great. I use a standard shake but there are low cal options if you need to balance out better. For me I need the extra cals early in the morning, and I have a general distaste for artificial sweeteners and what not.

Hang in there man, be religious about your logging and be patient. If you keep doing the right things over time you have a 95% chance at getting the results you want!

I go for at least 1 to 1.5 g per lb of body weight - and to hit that I have a 40c-30p-30f ratio. And your calorie deficit is supposed to be from your TDEE not you BMR unless you absolutely don't move at all.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm at 362 lbs right now and I want to stay as close to 2000 as possible and not go over 2500. I do a mixture of strength and cardio 3x a week and I'm building up to strength 3x a week and cardio 5x a week.

Right now I'm not eating back any calories burned but I know that I will have to start, probably when I break the 300 mark.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Had a look at the website. Lots of good info.
    Thanks for posting.

Phil

www.freedieting.com

I use the calculators on here alot - it may be useful to you!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    im just confused lol. im 356lb and some sites say i should be eating more im losing about 2lbs a week but idefinitely dont want to lose muscle i do some form of lifting 4 time a week mixture of machines and free, going to join another gym march first and maybe try stronglift thx for all replies in advance

If you weigh that much then you could comfortably raise your calories to around 3,500 - 3,750 and still lose weight comfortably (but this factors in exercise so no need to worry about eating those calories back if you choose this range.)

It's up to you whether you want to do so. Obese people are the exception to the rule when it comes to calorie deficits. Their bodies are much more able to handle steep deficits with little loss of muscle.

Long story short is that you have a lot of "wiggle room" when it comes to a workable deficit. If you want to be at say 2,500 to speed up your rate of loss then that is fine. If you would prefer to sit up some where around 3,500 then that is fine as well.

It won't always be this way as you get leaner.

As a good rule of thumb 1% of total body weight loss per week is relatively safe.