Pedometers??

Options
I don't understand how you can accurately use a pedometer to record calories burned. When we set an activity level, doesn't it basically average your steps in? I have mine set to active which assumes I'm on my feet most of the day walking, so would a pedometer even be worth the trouble for me? I guess I don't understand their use.

Replies

• fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me its motivation to get off my butt and move. I can see how much I am moving and when it is lower than I expect, I will take the dog for a walk or walk around at lunch time at work.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It counts steps, and some, like Noom actually measure your stride. But steps is sort of a universal was to understand your daily activity. They can be converted t calories burned as well.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't use a pedometer to count calories burned, I use it to motivate me to move more. It's a visual accounting that I can easily judge against other days. Saturday was terrible! I only had about 3000 steps. I knew I was being lazy, but I couldn't imagine just how lazy until I saw that tiny number. I made up for it on Sunday by throwing in more cardio.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I suggest using a free app that uses GPS to monitor your distance, elevation change and pace. I use RunKeeper that works for all types of activity. It’s actually a little addictive hearing RunKeeper break into my music every 5 min. with my distance and pace.
  • mikedean441
    Options
    Try the Nike Fuel Band!
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I use the FitBit and I really like it because it motivates me to go farther & move more... it's a great reminder! :smile:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    The questions for many people are 1) am I as consistently active as my activity level setting assumes I am? and 2) how can I challenge myself to be more active? The pedometer can help with this a lot. You would also want to lower your activity level setting and let the pedometer add the calories burned for you.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok gotcha. I'll probably skip the pedometer thing. I run on the treadmill and do strength training but the walking thing kinda bores me. I walk all day at work, lol.