HUGE bowl of oatmeal!

Options
So I discovered this trick via chocolatecoveredkatie http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/07/03/kozyshack-oatmeal-pudding/ and I've been eating it practically every single day for over a month now. I absolutely love it! It makes a really big bowl of oatmeal for about as many calories as those wimpy bowls of instant oats, and with way less sugar and more fiber. It's super simple and is great if you have no time to make anything in the morning.

Here's how to make it:

1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Quaker old fashioned)
1 and 1/2 cups liquid of choice (I usually just use water, but feel free to use any milk of choice to make it creamier)

The night before mix together the liquid and your oatmeal and microwave it for 2-3 minutes. It should still look pretty watery at this point but just stick it uncovered in the fridge overnight and it should soak up all that liquid!
Feel free to add any sweetener, nut butter, raisins, or anything your heart desires. My favorites include cocoa powder, almond butter, caramelized banana (mush up a banana and stick it in the microwave for a few minutes, makes it really sweet!), and lots of cinnamon.

Replies

• wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sounds good..will have to try it when I incorporate oats again.
  • vickiaf
    vickiaf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound dumb, but do you then eat it cold?
  • theplatypus
    Options
    I personally like eating it cold, but you can heat it back up in the morning if you want :)
  • vickiaf
    vickiaf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks, might try it warm for now and have it cold when our summer finally comes!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do that with steel-cut oats. (I love the chewy nubbins.) At night, I bring a c. of water to a boil, dump in 1/4 c. of oats, turn off the gas and put a lid on it. In the morning, it is already cooked. I just heat it up and add my additions. Yum!
  • stina1980
    stina1980 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 C. oats, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 packet fat free hot chocolate (25 cal. or less), 1/2 banana and a pinch of cinnamon. It has approx. 270 calories and keeps me full for a few hours.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do that with steel-cut oats. (I love the chewy nubbins.) At night, I bring a c. of water to a boil, dump in 1/4 c. of oats, turn off the gas and put a lid on it. In the morning, it is already cooked. I just heat it up and add my additions. Yum!

Approximately how long does it hang out on the stove at night? I've wanted to try steel cut outs in an overnight style, but haven't done trials to see what works/doesn't work.
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    My favorite is 1/2 cup Great Value 100% whole grain quick oats, 1 cup water as per directions. Then after it is cooked I add 2 tablespoons of Smuckers sugar free peach preserves and a Del Monte diced no sugar added peach fruit cup. I add a little cinnamon and it comes out tasting a little like a peach cobbler. :smile:
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do something similar with steel-cut oats--1 part steel-cut oats to 2 parts liquid (I usually do vanilla soy milk), refrigerate overnight, microwave for 1-2 min in the morning. I like a bit of crunch peanut butter stirred in.

Mmm, oats.
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    Ill have to try it, I have made oatmeal on the stove & the oats weren't soft yet so I had to throw it away.
  • Azaelia11
    Options
    i love oatmeal! i usually use the quick oats, and the add brown sugar, cinnamon and honey, and cut up a banana and put in it. Delicious !