Need help figuring out cals

Options
My tdee is ~3000 and my bmr is ~1200. I have mfp set for a 2lb a week weight loss (I'm obese and need to lose about 125 lbs) and it suggests I have 1400. I also add 400 a day because I'm breastfeeding my 6 month old. Right now I'm consuming in the 1600-1700 range most days, without going into my workout calories. I'm eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and I feel full and energized. Most days, with my workout cals, I'm at a 300-500 deficit.
My questions are am I in a good range for a healthy weight loss and and should I try to eat more of my workout cals?

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    With a lot to lose, you can go lower than most, but don't really want to go too low while you are breastfeeding for the sake of your adorable baby. I think you can safely eat closer to 2000 if your TDEE is actually 3000, and I would for the baby's sake at the beginning to see how it goes. If you don't lose, then you can cut back a little, but 1600 seems pretty extreme. Also make sure you eat plenty of healthy fats and protein for the baby's sake as well as yours.

Good luck!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    those numbers seem WAY off. A bmr of 1200, then a tdee of 3000? You sure you did that right?
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    lol I thought I did.
    This is the calculator I used http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    And I used the bmr calculator in road map.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    what is your age, weight and height? and how active are you?
  • ShannonKelliG
    Options
    28, 263, 5'4 I exercise 5-6 x a week walking 30 mins uphill.
  • ShannonKelliG
    Options
    But daily activity is mostly sedentary. I'm a stay at home mom.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said to eat around 2000 because you are breastfeeding and see if you are losing weight with that and if not, scale back 200 or so calories at a time until you do. Good luck!!
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Your BMR is 1968 based on the info you just gave. I don't know that I'd qualify what you're doing as sedentary. Chasing that little one around at least qualifies you for lightly active!!

So that puts your TDEE at 2706. At a 20% calorie reduction, that would put you at 2164 calories per day. Add in 400 calories for breastfeeding, and you can actually eat about 2500 calories per day and still see a weight loss.

Trust the process! Eating adequate calories really is important to losing weight.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    ok. Your BMR is 1963 cal/day. This is how many calories your body needs to function without considering breastfeeding. Your sedentary TDEE (again, without considering breastfeeding) is 2355 cal/day.

My personal opinion, I would probably agree with eating 2000 calories a day and not worry about adding calories for breastfeeding. Log any extra exercise you do and eat back those calories.

I don't mean this is a bad way, but due to your current weight, I don't think you really need to add the extra calories for breastfeeding as long as you are at least eating your BMR, eating back exercise calories, and getting proper nutrition, which you SHOULD be able to do on a 2000 calorie diet. Of course, I am not a doctor, and you might want to run that by yours to make sure it is OK.
  • ShannonKelliG
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try to get closer to the 2000 cal mark.
  • ShannonKelliG
    Options
    I don't know that I'd qualify what you're doing as sedentary. Chasing that little one around at least qualifies you for lightly active!!

I actually have 3 to chase around :) I have the baby, my middle is almost 3, and my big guy will be 4 this week!