Weight Training doesn't give you calorie credits

Options
Does anyone know why strength training does not give you calorie credits like cardio? I do 30 minutes of strength training 4 days per week but it is not show any calories burned?

Replies

• loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't know why either. If you're like me and use a HRM I just put it under the cardio category so that it all adds up in the end. (total calorie burn for the day)
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Great question. Maybe it's just too hard to calculate.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    There is a "weight lifting" exercise under the cardio section where you indicate how long you lifted.
  • MBrown1003
    MBrown1003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I attend a strength training class ("Group Power") twice a week. I did some internet detective work, found a calorie calculator, and came up with a reasonable guess as to the number of calories burned. (The class is an hour, but I use 50 minutes to account for the time between sets and the core & stretching tracks at the end.) Once I had a number, I used one of the cardio entries on the exercise diary, doctored to come up with the right number of calories. I re-labeled it "Proxy for Group Power". I think it's something like 220.

Several weeks after I started doing that, I asked the instructor for a rough idea of how many calories we burn during the class. She said that it was probably around 400 to 440, so I figure I'm doing well if I only count it at 220.

If your strength training is fairly consistent for each session, this approach should work for you, too.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i think the strength training on here is meant to be used as a journal. like said earlier, it's under cardio as 'weight training'
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I bought a HRM and input the calories I burn during a workout under "weight lifting" under the Cardio menu.
  • kdhebert77
    Options
    Post your weight training under the cardio, instead of strength training. Then it'll give you calorie credits.
  • ldwash405
    ldwash405 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning that you can log in you weight training. I was wondering also why it didn't show calories burned, I have been sticking to some kind of cardio exercise because I thought that was the only way that I could record actual calorie burn. Glad to know my squats, lunges, and arm curls count too!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't know why either. If you're like me and use a HRM I just put it under the cardio category so that it all adds up in the end. (total calorie burn for the day)

I hope you know that HRMs are really bad at determining the amount of calories burned for weight lifting, and it's probably giving you a higher number than you've actually burned. They're made for cardio.