platueas???

Options
I have been 161-162 for 3 weeks now and I have already lost 48 lbs since June. I have been really good about losing about 2 lbs a week since then. But now I dont know. I have been staying within my calories and doing my exercises. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get out of it?? By the way I have rotated my exercise and I drink plenty of water.

Replies

• athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been 161-162 for 3 weeks now and I have already lost 48 lbs since June. I have been really good about losing about 2 lbs a week since then. But now I dont know. I have been staying within my calories and doing my exercises. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get out of it?? By the way I have rotated my exercise and I drink plenty of water.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had about 2 weeks of bouncing between 205/207. (Down from 220 with a target of 180.) There are some theories. Some say having a day or two of indulgence (to heck with the calories!) will give your system a little jolt and mix it up a bit. I assume it triggers the metabolism in some way that the calories begin burning again.

I have taken a day-fast on purpose twice. Not a total fast, but just too busy to eat, then chose not to try and hit my target. This is what I think worked for me. Usually the indulgence days just slow me down.

My other idea is that, with that kind of weight loss, you might want to recalculate your goals. Mine have changed with a reduction in daily calories over just my few pounds lost.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    great ideas...as well try spicing up your exersice, do something totally different or at a totally different pace for a week or two, see if that does something
  • tdroseler
    Options
    i agree totally, i think reaching a plateau is just our body's way of saying, ok, im bored with this...excite me.

Sometimes you have to mix things up to motivate yourself, do the same for your body.
  • metal190
    Options
    Great ideas so far.

Obviously the greatest factor in your weight loss is your net calorie consumption, which is a function of how many calories you consumed minus how many you burned. And one huge factor in how many calories you burn daily is your weight. Obviously heavier people burn more calories because of how much extra energy it requires to move and maintain their bodies.

So as was mentioned earlier, it's a great idea to recalculate your target calorie intake. Because when you change your diet / exercise routine, your body will grow or shrink towards an equilibrium. That can happen by getting larger, and reaching a higher calorie maintenance point, or getting smaller and therefore needing fewer calories to maintain your body weight. Once your body weight drops to where it only needs the calories you are already taking in, you will stop losing weight. Your body has achieved equilibrium. If you're not satisfied with where that has happened, disturb the balance by taking in fewer calories than your body burns daily.

That is the mathematically easy answer. The difficult component of a plateau is that your body will always seek the most energy efficient way to do things. That is why it is best to switch up the kinds of foods you're eating and the kind of exercise you're doing. Our bodies want to be efficient, so they will "get used to" our routines, and find ways to perform them while conserving energy in the form of calories. Great for keeping us alive, but not great for keeping us thin.

Hope that made sense! Good luck!
  • Colleenie101
    Options

Oh my goodness what your going through is exactly what Ive been going through. From my understanding when your body plateaus you have to work extra hard to keep losing the two lbs a week. If you cant work extra hard it may just take three to four weeks to get back into the swing of things. I dont have the time to work in the extra workouts. So I may cut back just a bit on my calorie consumption. Doing just the bare minimum of calories a day. Or maybe spend an extra ten mins on the elliptical. Dont worry you will break through the plateau one way or another! Good luck!
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I will try everything and let you know
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat actually. For the last 4 weeks or so I haven't lost a lb. Over Thanksgiving I didn't watch anything I was just to frustrated and down. I am back and doing pretty good I think. I have decided that I need to greatly decrease my sugar consumption and fats. I also changed my settings from slightly active to sedentary and decided not to count my activities at work. Just to see how it goes. I don't always get a work out in because of time and when I do it is not as strenous as most do. I am hoping it will help me.

But I am in the same boat you are. I did lose some inches off my waist. Not enough on my hips though dang it.

Eve
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the post on calories? Furpaws put a site up that might help us. I tried it and I am now wondering if I have lowered my calories to much?

Anyway this is the site.
    http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/how-many-calories-do-you-need.html

Just a thought.
    Eve