New to running

Options
Hi My name is Kathryn.

Im fairly new to this whole MFP thing but even newer to running!

Any advice for someone starting off who felt like they couldnt get off the starting blocks.

For the past few weeks I have increased how much I am able to run and am at 2.2 miles but its taking me some time

I want to eventually be able to run a half marathon next year... yes i know thats a long time away

Any tips of the trade on how to get better at this malarky

thanks

Replies

• sasskin18
    Options
    Hi there,

First of all Well done. I am a runner have been for the last 6 years (20 Half Marathons and 1 Marathon done with another Marathon in April) Yes you have some time before your half, but for now work on your endurance. Build up gradually approx 10% per week
    to remain injury free. Try to reach to 6 miles. When you reached 6 you can start focusing on your pace. Once you are happy with both (Should take you to May) start ramping those miles up (remember the 10% rule though) Peak to 10miles two weeks before the race, then taper. Oh and as you will be doing long runs, make sure you go to a running shop and get your gait analysed. This is very important. Its a free service. You will then be able to get a good pair of trainers. ill fitting trainers = Injury. I hope this helps and Good Luck on your running journey x Sasskin18
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the increase of distance Just try to add a little bit each run. In the running group I started in (it was training for a 4 mile race), we did a 12 week program and increased 1/2 mile every week. Already being at 2 miles is awesome so just keep adding a little bit. I am not sure about the getting to 6 miles and working on pace as for about 2 years I never ran over 4 and I worked on my pace.
    What are your goals right now? Do you want to work solely on increasing endurance and getting mileage or do you want to train for a 5K and work on a goal for time?
  • sasskin18
    Options
    HEHE I miss read it! Thought you wanting to do a half marathon this year... In that case, enter a couple of 5k's through out the year to maintain that interest etc.

When you decide to start to train for a Half, steady increase of miles... If you want to focus on endurance then build up those miles and add some core and cross training into the training too.

If you want faster time: Maybe add some speed sessions such as Fartlek, hill sessions etc. Maybe join a running club to help you along. Have a look at www.runnersworld.co.uk they have training plans to match you. :-)
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh I just love newbie runners!! I still feel like one, even though I'm a year and a half in.

I started running with Couch-to-5K and I absolutely recommend it for anyone who wants to start running! It's a program that took me from not being able to run for more than 5 minutes on a treadmill to being able to run 3 miles at once within 9 weeks.
    I started it in Fall 2011, and by the next spring I had done my first half and signed up for my first marathon. It works!!

Sounds like you're already up to a couple miles at a time, so the first few weeks of the program will be a breeze for you. Do you run on a treadmill or outside?
    If you have a smartphone, you can download an app made by Active.com that will talk you through each workout. If you run on the treadmill, you can use the app or just watch the times on the display on the machine.
    The website that outlines the program is here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There's also an FB page (just search The Couch-to-5K Running Plan) that lots and lots of people doing the program post on and encourage each other every day.

So excited for you!!
  • Thanks guys

This all looks really helpful

Yes the aim is to run a half marathon next year as I thought I was a bit late on the uptake for this years seeing as all my local ones are in march. Although I do have a 5k fun run that I am entering with a few friends in aid of charity which is in June.

I currently run outside and not on a treadmill but I initially started on a treadmill. I love running outside it seems to go better for me rather than looking at the same screen or view it changes as I go along :)

Its taken me a little while to get to my 2 miles but I am proud of myself as when I started I could barely run the distance between 2 street lamps :)

I had my gait analysed a few years ago becuase I was having trouble with my hips and they told me then what trainers I would need. This was when I was going to a gym and not just running. Think another trip is in order :)

I have heard of the C25K thing and have literally had a look at it yesterday :) seems that the first few stages willbe ok :)

We have a few local running groups from beginners to 10k runner but I dont feel ready to join any of them just yet and what with shifts I cant go every week.

At the moment im trying to run at least 3 times a week is this enough???

Im really looking forward to increasing my mileage and finding my 'stride' so to speak

Thanks again
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys

This all looks really helpful

Yes the aim is to run a half marathon next year as I thought I was a bit late on the uptake for this years seeing as all my local ones are in march. Although I do have a 5k fun run that I am entering with a few friends in aid of charity which is in June.

I currently run outside and not on a treadmill but I initially started on a treadmill. I love running outside it seems to go better for me rather than looking at the same screen or view it changes as I go along :)

Its taken me a little while to get to my 2 miles but I am proud of myself as when I started I could barely run the distance between 2 street lamps :)

I had my gait analysed a few years ago becuase I was having trouble with my hips and they told me then what trainers I would need. This was when I was going to a gym and not just running. Think another trip is in order :)

I have heard of the C25K thing and have literally had a look at it yesterday :) seems that the first few stages willbe ok :)

We have a few local running groups from beginners to 10k runner but I dont feel ready to join any of them just yet and what with shifts I cant go every week.

At the moment im trying to run at least 3 times a week is this enough???

Im really looking forward to increasing my mileage and finding my 'stride' so to speak

Thanks again

Just saw that you're a nurse, me too! It can definitely be tough for me to get a run in on the days that I work. I definitely think that for right now, 3 runs a week for you is perfect!

When you start looking at which 1/2 you want to do, it'll be to your advantage to pick a training program, most are about 14 weeks long. My favorite plans have been from Hal Higdon. Those plans call for more like 4-5 runs a week.
  • Yeah im a nurse qulaified last year.

So working shift work espcially when on night shifts i really struggle to get my runs in. at the moment I havnt been able to get out because we have had snow and the paths are awful

I will stick to my 3 runs for now :) and hope to gradually increase over the next few weeks to add a mile.

With regards to the tracker. I am currently using endomondo on my smart phone that gets strapped to my arm.

looking forward to finding some local runs :)