lentils recipies needed

Options
Got a bag of red lentils in my pantry......need ideas, looking for something new!

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Swap the butter and milk in the mashed potatoes for 0% greek yogurt and you'll have yourself a nice, low cal winner here:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/10/vegetable-shepherds-pie
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I make them into burritos and/or tacos. I cook them until they're tender, drain, saute some onion in a little olive oil, add the lentils, and then season as I do tacos: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt. mix well (sometimes needs a little water to spread the seasoning around-just a couple TBSP). Cook until the water's gone if you added some. Then put in a taco shell or soft tortilla (I use the low carb varieties), add cheese, salsa, lettuce, onions, etc.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try to look for a recipe online for Egyptian Rice and Lentils. I have a recipe from the More With Less Cookbook. It's really delicious and one of our familie's favorites.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    you can make them spicy, or shape into burgers, or a variety of things out there. I get most of my recipes from the internet. Best of luck :)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a similar recipe
    swap out some of the potatoes for other roots like swede and celeriac to get a very flavourful topping
  • Oh_Cat
    Oh_Cat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see some ideas. I recently bought them and have no clue what you do with them besides soup!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cooking LIght - Pumpkin and Red Curry Lentils (love this recipe btw)

I use butternut squash instead of pumpkin

222 calories per serving; takes less than 45 minutes to prepare from start to finish!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-red-lentil-curry-10000001536668/
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Lentils and a bit of water (Read on the bag), then add spices, perhaps a little vegetable stock, and sliced vegetables that you like: Carrots, mushrooms, squash, sweet potatoes, fennel, celery - just pick stuff you like. Let it all cook together until the lentils are soft and the water mostly cooked in. If they get too dry, add more water, if they get too moist, remove the lid and let it cook until dryer.

The lentils should be soft.

If you like you can add some slices of sausage, a few bits of bacon or something to make the mix a little richer. Track what you put and in make a recipe here, so you know how many calories it gives you :)

Lentils are super easy and quick, mainly it's about experimenting until you like it.

Good luck!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to.

I make a batch (in a crock pot) once a week!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/18/curried-lentil-soup/

You can get curry spice for cheap in the bulk section of a super market. Since you don't need THAT much, it's the perfect amount for pennies!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bumping! Great ideas, guys!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I looovvve making a hearty thai lentil soup with them. If you google that it should come up with plenty of recipes! They're also good to use in veggie burgers together with rice or beans, or in rice stir fries.
  • Megamus55
    Options
    ok now i need to go buy another bag cause there is so many good ideas......thanks people much appreciated
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I've just had some red lentil curry for dinner today!! Was so delish!! Low cal too :)

http://pinchofyum.com/red-curry-lentils
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    THIS: http://pinterest.com/pin/559290847443913033/

It's super-yummy and filling :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    try sprouting them, it makes it much easier to digest and unlocks all the vitamins they posess. Soak them for 6-8 hours, rinse them out, let them sit in a strainer and rinse them in the morning and evening every day till they start sprouting. They are perfect for soups and salads and can be eaten raw. yumm. You can google sprouting. It is a whole new world for me that I am very excited about.
  • happypath101
    Options
    I just made a turkey lentil curry soup in my crockpot. Throw in a bunch of stock, about a cup of red lentils, spices you like, turkey meat if you have it, have fun. It's great.

Thanks for making the post. I have lots of great new ideas now too!
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    My husband is North African and he makes a stew with them that includes potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and harissa(African hot sauce paste). You brown the garlic, onion and celery and then add the additional ingredients plus some water to cover all ingredients and put on medium heat til the carrots cook through-maybe 35 minutes give or take.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    boil 'em, spice 'em, mash 'em,

roll them up in little balls with some finely diced veggies (onions, carrots, and mushrooms are nice), maybe some instant oats of they're still too soupy

add some eggs or ground flax soaked in water until egg-like

then bake 'em or fry 'em

and eat them like meatballs.
    the spicier the better. great with marinara over pasta or covered in bbq sauce in a sub.