OT: Kids and their elders

Shannon023
Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
So when I was a youngster: william_maria02_border.jpg

I was taught my school friends parents were, "Mr. & Mrs. _______" now my daughter's friends parents tell my daughter to call them by their first name. :noway:

How do your children's friends refer to you? I feel very out of date. :embarassed:

(btw my daughter is 7)

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    So when I was a youngster: william_maria02_border.jpg

I was taught my school friends parents were, "Mr. & Mrs. _______" now my daughter's friends parents tell my daughter to call them by their first name. :noway:

How do your children's friends refer to you? I feel very out of date. :embarassed:

(btw my daughter is 7)
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    My daughters' friends call me "Ms. Amanda". That's fine by me....it shows respect while keeping it sort of informal.:smile:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    My son's friends call me Logan's mother LOL
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Well...what do YOU feel comfortable with?
    It's up to you as to what you think they should call you. I use to call my friends' mom...mom!
    They all refered to my mom as GOD...and that's only because she put the fear of GOD in all my friends. :laugh:

So it is really Your comfort and no one elses, remember if they all jump off a bridge your not going to follow, r u??:laugh: :laugh:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    When they were younger, my daugthers called everyone Mr. or Mrs. or Miss _(lastname)____. Now that they are teenagers, I've let up a bit, for example they call our neighbors Miss or Mr. __first name__. A year ago, when the eldest reached 18, I told her it was between her and the other person....
  • dejones
    dejones Posts: 41
    My children and their friends call me mama j or moma jones
    at church the children I teach call me Ms. De. I am happy with either.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Well, the kids I babysit call me by my name or nickname. I have gotten used to it.

The other weekend I went to a birthday party and I was introduced to a older women (60's) and I said Hi my name is Mireille and she replied "Nice to meet you, my name is Mrs Clark". In my head, I thought, what the hell, I think I'm old enough to call you by your name but whatever!!

On the other hand, I still call my MIL Mrs. Until she gives me permission to call her by her first name I'll keep calling her Mrs.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    It depends.. my parents taught me to refer to everyone as Sir or Ma'am until I was formally introduced, and then it was Mr. or Mrs. unless they specifically told me otherwise.

If I went against that, I got smacked for being rude :)

It was old fashioned, but to this day I get complimented for having great manners!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    My kids friends call me Mrs. Parkhurst but I'd much rather they call me by my first name. Although I teach my kids to say mrs or mr, until they are given permission by that certain person to call them otherwise.