Where to stop?

Options
Hello,
I am a 21 year old man, I have been working very hard on my diet for some time, starting at 406lbs. I didn't have a target in mind when I started, just focussed on losing weight. I am now exercising regularly, eating better and lose over 50lbs, now 354lbs!! I feel so much better, physically and in confidence. Everyone has noticed and said I look great and I actually feel so much more like a normal person, not some sort of freak. I don't know whether to stop here or go lower. If so how much? How do you know when is right to stop?
Thanks,
Joselito xxx

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with the way you're eating right now, why not keep going for a bit?

If you're not happy with the way you're eating right now, add some calories and see what happens.

I'm so glad you feel so much better, which must take some pressure off, but you may well feel even better if you lose more.

Or you could take a diet break, settle into this weight and see if you want to lose more. I did this after I lost 10kg. I went on to lose 5kg more later, then gained a bit and decided my original goal was a bit too low for me, for now. Weight loss, or gain, never has to be permanent.

Well done and it's great to hear you do happy!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    does anyone esle care to help me out here? I would appreciate advice.xx
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    What's your ideal weight for your height? Are you very far off it?
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You are already in a good habit and routine of being healthy: DON'T STOP. It's so fabulous that you are feeling great and congratulations on all of your hard work!

Absolutely keep going. Which would you regret more? Also, getting in the routine is really sometimes the hardest part. You have that down - keep it up!!!!
  • jbr121
    jbr121 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Congrats on the loss so far - you've done great!

How far off having a healthy BMI are you? That's what I'd be aiming for, plus a few pounds, then you could regulate from there.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think you should just aim for a BMI in the healthy range.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think you should just aim for a BMI in the healthy range.

This, definitely. Now we all know that no calculations are perfect, but for the vast majority of us, our calculated BMI is going to give us a good reference point. I'm glad you are feeling better, but I feel that you will be cheating yourself if you don't try to get to a healthy, average BMI. So many diseases have been linked to obesity ; this really isn't the forum to discuss if correlation equals causation, but I believe maintaining a healthy weir is the single most important thing you can do to stay healthy. Well, OK, immunizations are high on that list as well, but you weight counts for a lot. Don't cheat yourself out of a better life!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height and percentage of body fat. But just guessing, I'd say you're still in the "obese" to "morbidly obese" range. If you've come this far, why stop now?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Keep going.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts regard the BMI.

Although sometimes I hate the idea of the BMI I know that its the best tool to give you an ideal weight for your height.

I'm super short (only 4'10'') so my ideal, health weight, according to the BMI is between 110-123 pounds.

So far I've lost 35 pounds overall and I'm only 2 pounds away from 123 pounds.

I really think the BMI is the best way to gauge where you should go with your weight loss!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you're feeling better.

Since I have been losing weight, I have learned that I can be very happy on my lower level of calories and that I LIKE exercising. I plan on keeping it up, essentially, forever.

That's particularly important because it's a lot easier to lose weight than to keep it off.

Despite your (awesome) progress, you still have a long way to go. And you are young enough that if you do it now, it will have such wonderful long term benefits for the rest of your life.

Keep at the slow steady progress. Make those food changes permanent. You will NOT regret it.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep going. You are doing great, why stop until you get into a healthy body fat percentage range? If you feel this good at 354, imagine how great you will feel at a healthy weight?

And congrats on your loss!
  • JackieEnos203014
    JackieEnos203014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the lose so far. It should not be a diet but a lifestyle change. Are you happy where u are? Do you want to loose more? Keep going until toy hit a plateau. If you still want to loose more than change it up with new food maybe cutting back more on fat and carbs or increasing the workouts intensity and add strength training in too
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BMI is not the best indicator of gauging where your ideal weight lies. In fact, it's highly inaccurate due to the fact that it doesn't account for muscle mass along with other factors. Because of this, many professional athletes are considered "overweight", when that's simply not the case. instead, you should aim to focus on how you feel/look in the mirror. Good luck
  • kimdarren
    kimdarren Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wonderful loss!

You've done so well, why stop now?!?

Is there any reason to change your eating habits now if they're so much healthier for you. I agree with all of the comments of the BMI theory. Everyone has their own ideal weight because everyone is different. However a good BMI is probably the best way to go because there is some flexability there.

Best of luck.

Kim xx
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good for you! But remember, this is a new lifestyle for you. You can't go back to eating the way you were before or you will gain it all back and then some. Keep eating healthy to lose some more weight and then once you feel comfortable with yourself, see what caloric intake you need to maintain. Keep up the good work!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BMI is not the best indicator of gauging where your ideal weight lies. In fact, it's highly inaccurate due to the fact that it doesn't account for muscle mass along with other factors. Because of this, many professional athletes are considered "overweight", when that's simply not the case. instead, you should aim to focus on how you feel/look in the mirror. Good luck

agreed, according to BMI for my height and weight Im very obese, yet I wear a pair of jeans that still fit when I was 60 lbs lighter
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    thanks everyone!! Yeah, I am still morbidly obese in my BMI, but I am slightly dubious about bmi so I am sort of going off how I feel, and I know I feel sooo much better. But yeah, you right, I don't know how much better I will feel at even lower weight til I try so maybe keep on keeping on! I am enjoying my lifestyle; the exercise I am begining to enjoy, managing to binge eat less often. I suppose my worry when I stop is gaining it back so myabe safest to stay on a good course. I am not aiming to be slim particularly, I sort of imagine I'll always be kind of overweight but we shall see how things go! xx
  • rininger85
    Options
    do NOT stop, two years ago I lost 30+ lbs in 3 months by diet and exercise, I wasn't quite to my goal of being under 200 lbs but it was less than I had weighed in years, I was in a good habit then I stopped and thought I'd just maintain for a while... I put 40 lbs back on over the next 9 months and now its tougher than it was before to get motivated to start again... if you've already started the good habits don't stop or it'll happen to you too! Even if you set smaller goals than your initial goal, at least it will keep you in your good habits.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it bro, you've got a great start going. One thing you should do is have the attitude that you can and will do it. You already know how, just keep doing.