Do you record calories from supplements?

Options
Okay so I have always been a bit confused on this! Example my Udo's 369 oil has 135 calories in it. Do you guys record stuff like that? I understand the idea between every calorie should be counted, but it seems weird to me to count the oil. What do you guys do? I feel like it's "wasting" 135 calories on not actual food that is filling.

Replies

• ccolvin19
    ccolvin19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do record my calories from supplements! They count toward your total for the day regardless if they are from solid food, a drink, or a supplement. I even record the 10-15 calories from my gummie vitamins/fiber chews. All those extra small amounts add up over the course of the day and can sneak up on you in my opinion.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I definitely count them, not only because they ARE calories and in my case, grams of fat, but also because it helps me make sure I actually do take them.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    135 grams of fat is a lot of calories to not count. If you think it's wasted then maybe rethink why you take it in the first place.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I don't count calories from my supplements and vitamins that I take (pill form). But I do count calories from flax meal and any oils. I'm not sure what UDI oil is but since its so high, i would probably count that. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ALL calories get logged. Sounds like you are making an excuse so you can eat more.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Definately count them. They contain macros and micros, all of which should be tracked. I usually round out at about 350 calories just from my supplements each day.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep, I log everything including supplements
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I actually just started doing this. Not because my Women's High Potency Multiple Vitamin and Mineral Formual with Herbs has any calories but becuase I realized that I wasn't counting the macronutrients in my diet correctly. Since I don't take them regularly it has made a difference in my food choices when I look at my macros
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I log them for the calorie count and also to remind myself to take them.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    ALL calories get logged. Sounds like you are making an excuse so you can eat more.

NO it's not an excuse to eat more!!! I was just curious! I actually have a lot of self control and don't need an excuse to eat more. Thank you for your input though.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    Obviously.. Calories are calories, and if you're trying to lose weight you need to he expending more energy than you are consuming. Why would the caloric energy from a supplement not be counted?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    That can be added to the many reasons people plateau.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I need to start logging mine then!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I count them. It is approx 70 calories so nothing to sniff at. Plus like the other poster says it does help me to remember to take them.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I log anything over 10 calories.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I log it all, it adds up.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    135 grams of fat is a lot of calories to not count. If you think it's wasted then maybe rethink why you take it in the first place.

This^^^
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I diligently log my fish oil.

I have never logged alcohol nor exercise.

Feel free to interpret this as you may :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have always been a bit confused on this! Example my Udo's 369 oil has 135 calories in it. Do you guys record stuff like that? I understand the idea between every calorie should be counted, but it seems weird to me to count the oil. What do you guys do? I feel like it's "wasting" 135 calories on not actual food that is filling.

Yes of course you should record that, it''s 49000 calories a year! IMO you are wasting calories and money, just eat more oily fish, raw nuts and seeds. If you are concerned you are a poor converter of omega-6 LA to anti inflammatory GLA add in some borage oil. Too much omega-6 inhibits conversion of short chain omega-3 ALA to the useable long chain formats DHA and EPA (can be as low as 10% so you need high doses of ALA rich seed oils). You are unlikely to need to supplement omega-6 or omega-9 most of us take plenty in our diets.

ETA looking at your food diary you are rattling with a pile of supplements, yet not actually bothering to eat a decent diet. Eat more real whole foods - fruit, veggies, dairy, nuts, seeds, oily fish, nutritious proteins (chicken, egg whites and cottage cheese are poor), beans and lentils, then SUPPLEMENT with discretion. Would not surprise me at all if your supplements are fighting against one another - you are taking pro inflammatory omega-6s and then an anti inflammatory supplement! Your bone health supplement is far too low in magnesium, so you are setting up an imbalance right there. not sure which multi you are taking but at least one of the New Chapter products is also low in magnesium, and you are doubling up on vitamin D. Disaster zone.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Yes of course you should record that, it''s 49000 calories a year! IMO you are wasting calories and money, just eat more oily fish, raw nuts and seeds. If you are concerned you are a poor converter of omega-6 LA to anti inflammatory GLA add in some borage oil. Too much omega-6 inhibits conversion of short chain omega-3 ALA to the useable long chain formats DHA and EPA (can be as low as 10% so you need high doses of ALA rich seed oils). You are unlikely to need to supplement omega-6 or omega-9 most of us take plenty in our diets.

^This. Very good advice.