no time to exercise

Options
I swear I have no time to exercise. I work in surgery and I work 10 hour shifts. I'm on my feet all day and when I get home I have some housework to do and supper to fix. Then by the time I finish eating I'm so exhausted and my feet are killing me. Anyone have any ideas on how to squeeze in a quick workout let me know.

Thanks

Replies

• adrianalpc
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm even thinking of waking up super early to work out.. I unfortunately sit at a desk all day so I really need to work out! I'll keep my ears and eye's open if I find a solution to our problem!
  • brightlightkatie
    Options
    Hmm. I'm in a similar position. Is there no way you can get up even earlier and do 20 minutes or so? I've been getting up at 6am and going swimming before my loooong shift at work.. rather than making me more tired, it actually makes me have more energy at work !

Just remember, everything burns calories. Sit up straight (if you sit at work anytime), hold those abs in and butt, and fidget. :-)

Best advice I can give, but as I say. I know how you feel ! Its not easy working full time, trying to get me time and having a house to run.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In the morning! Make yourself get up! It will make you feel so great and energized throughout the day! Then you don't have to worry about fitting it in later. Plus you might find that it might make your feet hurt less! Possibly!?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Walking at lunch?
  • penny38_1999
    penny38_1999 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i walk on my half hour lunch
  • wbvmg
    wbvmg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I walk at a brisk pace for about 40 minutes at lunchtime and it burns 200+ calories in no time at all, plus you aren't sweaty when you get back to work :)
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So many people come up with excuse after excuse that they dont have time and I can understand where you are coming from but if it is an importance in your life then you will make time, exactly what the girls have said above get up extra early. You only need to work out for half an hour if you do a intense workout, you can even do exercises at home without having machines. example,
    push ups
    sit ups
    skipping i could go on and on
  • missk1977
    Options
    If you're on your feet for 10 hours/day..... wouldn't that be excercise enough? My sis works out alot and says that weight loss is 80% diet, 10% excercise and 10% genetics.

I work on my feet for 8 hours and don't feel like excercising afterwards either. So, I know how you feel.
  • dontwaitup
    Options
    I know it doesn't sound like much but, I would do the stairs (12 flights at my hospital) during my break and lunch. Parking at the far end of the parking lot works and do lunges to the door instead of walking. Sit on the floor while you are resting your feet and do shoulder shrugs to pull your bum off the ground, changing the position of your hands, towards your body, forward and out. Even sucking in your tummy as hard as you can for 15-30 seconds a day is good isometric exercise. Good Luck!
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I have thought of getting up earlier and exercising before work but I'm already up at 4:30 and I have to be at work for 6:00. I honestly don't see my self getting up at 3:30 in the morning. And walking on my half hour lunch break is a good idea but it's usually the only time I actually get to sit. I probably could make time after work to do some sort of work out but my feet just hurt so bad by the time I get home they are pounding to get out of my shoes. Thanks again to all the advice

Sarah
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If your feet hurting is a problem, maybe you could join the Y or something. Get some swimming in a few times a week. It doesn't take much really. I started with exercising only 3 times a week and it worked.