Surgery w/ IV = immediate weight gain??

Options
Please, please tell me this is temporary and will go away as fast as it came on...

I had an outpatient surgery this morning and had an IV because I was sedated. They weighed me before surgery and I was at 143.8. Out of curiosity, I weighed myself when I got home and I was 149.4!!! I am freaking out! 6lbs in a single day. Now, I did eat a burger for lunch because I was starving and hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours....but that shouldn't cause 6lb gain. Anyone been through this? Is it just the fluids??? Please tell me I don't have to start all over again because that's almost the entire amount I've lost so far and I'd be crushed if I gained it back in a single day.

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    that would be the iv solution they gave you, it will cause swelling! Fear not it will pass, drink water and give it time!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Two thirds of what you receive via IV therapy moves to the intracellular space. In short, you're retaining water. This should resolve itself. Also, if you are using narcotics for pain, it slows down your digestive system. So, once again, water retention and more food in your gut than usual. Give it two or three days once you are off the narcotics, and you should see your weight drop again.
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the fluids they gave you during surgery. Drinking water will help flush it out. Try not to worry over it. :smile:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I went through this in December. In a few days it was gone. Drink alot of water and get off the meds asap if possible. I also ate more fruit than I usually do.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    there is the possibility that your scale and the hospital scale don't agree and the difference is more like 3 lbs.....which will be gone in a day or two
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Whew, thanks I feel a ton better now. Luckily I have a high pain tolerance and it was a pretty minor procedure so I'm not taking any meds. I will just ride it out!