Buying new weights for Chalean extreme

Options
I'm three weeks into the burn circuit and the dumbells with plates I have are now too light (15 pounds each).

I'm trying to decide whether to buy more plates (but its a faff keep stopping to change them) or if to go for the adjustable powerblock/ selecttech type.

Id love to know what weight people think I will need to be able to go up to and any advice on what to get.

Replies

• nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have went with the selecttech....but I went with free weights.
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    when I did it i bought non adjustable dumbells because that was all i could afford. From target. If i could have afforded to get the selecttech ones i would have in a heart beat! Tho i dont know how the reviews on them were.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Go adjustable unless you have a lot of room to devote to a dumbbell rack and are willing to spend more money.

And don't sell yourself short. If you get the ones that only go to 50lbs, you may outgrow them. (think squats). Get the ones that go to 90lbs, or are at least expandable to 90.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought the selecttech weights. 2 weeks into PUSH and I am already using the 35lbs weights.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I bought a set of PowerBlock SportBlocks. They only go up to 24lbs. but I love them. I didn't know it at the time, but some of the PowerBlocks are expandable. Unfortunately the SportBlocks aren't.

Wow, I just noticed that Amazon has a real nice price on the SelectTech 552. Tempting. Very tempting.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We have power blocks. I used more than I thought I would so I would Ditto at least getting ones that you can add on to. Do some reviews. Hubs checked out both select tech and power block after reading reviews we ended up with power blocks. So check things out for yourself.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    We have power blocks. I used more than I thought I would so I would Ditto at least getting ones that you can add on to. Do some reviews. Hubs checked out both select tech and power block after reading reviews we ended up with power blocks. So check things out for yourself.
    What made you go for the powerblocks.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I bought a set of PowerBlock SportBlocks. They only go up to 24lbs. but I love them. I didn't know it at the time, but some of the PowerBlocks are expandable. Unfortunately the SportBlocks aren't.

Wow, I just noticed that Amazon has a real nice price on the SelectTech 552. Tempting. Very tempting.
    I'm in the UK- don't think I'd want them shipped over!!!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Go adjustable unless you have a lot of room to devote to a dumbbell rack and are willing to spend more money.

And don't sell yourself short. If you get the ones that only go to 50lbs, you may outgrow them. (think squats). Get the ones that go to 90lbs, or are at least expandable to 90.
    Not thinking of single dumbells but the ones with plates and spin locks. I've got a old pair with a sort of arm you push round. These seem quicker than spin,icks. Are they still made?