Question for hard lifters

Options
2»

Replies

• mindbodystrength
    Options
    When I lift, I lift heavy. What you are describing is cardio. Just log it as circuit training or wear an HRM. Problem solved.

I lift heavy. I said above I do 6-15 reps to failure. What do you consider lifting? Anything under 6 reps is not for body building, it's for power lifting. I think I could wait a little longer bewteen sets, but I get bored. A lot of guys loaf around the gym, chit chat, throw a bunch of weight around every once in a while, and call it lifting. They might be lifting more than me, but they're also puffy. I don't lift to get bigger, I lift to look better. I think lifting "heavy" is lazy and guys feel like if there moving a lot of weight, they're improving themselves.

Dude, you'll never win this argument on MFP...Everyone on MFP has gotten drunk on the SL/SS Koolaid, so brush it off and keep doing what you're doing...you know what works.

The vast majority of people on here think that if you lift more than 5 reps and you do anything other than squats and deads, you're not lifting. They ALL get a huge facepalm from me...every day. As for the calories, here's another vote for 200-300 above maintenance. Best wishes.
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes... because those who have 600+ lb raw lifts are lazy. There is no hard work needed to attain such a level.....

But to answer your question, eat about 200-300 cals above your maintenance.

I'm talking about average joe puffy guy. anyone can eat a lot, lift alot and get big. It's alot harder to get ripped.

I don't quite know about your gym but most of the people who eat like **** look like **** lmao...

I can really only pinpoint a handful of strong guys at my gym, and most of them are only strong because they follow strict progress and decent nutrition.
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I lift, I lift heavy. What you are describing is cardio. Just log it as circuit training or wear an HRM. Problem solved.

I lift heavy. I said above I do 6-15 reps to failure. What do you consider lifting? Anything under 6 reps is not for body building, it's for power lifting. I think I could wait a little longer bewteen sets, but I get bored. A lot of guys loaf around the gym, chit chat, throw a bunch of weight around every once in a while, and call it lifting. They might be lifting more than me, but they're also puffy. I don't lift to get bigger, I lift to look better. I think lifting "heavy" is lazy and guys feel like if there moving a lot of weight, they're improving themselves.

Dude, you'll never win this argument on MFP...Everyone on MFP has gotten drunk on the SL/SS Koolaid, so brush it off and keep doing what you're doing...you know what works.

The vast majority of people on here think that if you lift more than 5 reps and you do anything other than squats and deads, you're not lifting. They ALL get a huge facepalm from me...every day. As for the calories, here's another vote for 200-300 above maintenance. Best wishes.

Agreed
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yes... because those who have 600+ lb raw lifts are lazy. There is no hard work needed to attain such a level.....

But to answer your question, eat about 200-300 cals above your maintenance.

I'm talking about average joe puffy guy. anyone can eat a lot, lift alot and get big. It's alot harder to get ripped.

"Getting big" is easy. Getting big muscle is not so easy.
  • rabidrabbott
    rabidrabbott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the amount of calories burned is so small, because you're just lifting. Cardio burns more calories because your heart rate increases. Someone else said not to worry about how many calories you burn when lifting and I agree. Focus on your calorie intake to help build muscle. Make sure you're getting protein, calcium, iron, and vitamins instead of fat, cholesterol, and sugar.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people on here think that if you lift more than 5 reps and you do anything other than squats and deads, you're not lifting.

Push ups are important too. Especially compound pushups:

PlayingPushups5-th.jpg
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't quite know about your gym but most of the people who eat like **** look like **** lmao...

I can attest to the accuracy of this statement. From personal experience.
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    The vast majority of people on here think that if you lift more than 5 reps and you do anything other than squats and deads, you're not lifting.

Push ups are important too. Especially compound pushups:

PlayingPushups5-th.jpg

lucky guy...lol :laugh:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Well I calculated one an average day of : (chest,triceps and shoulders) calories burned within the time spent doing exercises was 300 which is about 150 more per hour than I typically require.