5-6 meals / day. - anyone have success with doing this?

Options

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for two years. it works.
  • wdwgirl3
    wdwgirl3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would love to have 5-6 meals a day. Unfortunately I work with the public and we have a very strict "no eating in front of people" rule at work so I'm stuck with the 3 meals. I do snack a lot - probably more than I should!

That is too bad! I work from home, so it will be easier.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    But really, the reason I eat five or six times a day is because that is how frequently I get hungry. Satisfying hunger keeps me from getting TOO hungry and then overeating.
    I eat about five times a day for this reason. It works for me, but it probably wouldn't work for everyone. Follow your body.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I dont' know what I do. My "breakfast" means I ate it before 11am usually. lol. Usually take it with me to work and eat at my desk..

If i'm still hungry I eat more and list it as snacks.

Lunch is usually 12 30 or 1. i usually eat leftovers or something ith some protein in it. Usually dont' snack too much in the afternoon.. Of course if I'm hungry i'll have something.

Dinner is dinner and after the gym. I load up on protein and veggies.

Usually i'm satisfied after that and dont' want anymore.

So however many meals that is, that's my usual habits.

it's less about when and how often and more about what you eat.
  • Bravand
    Options
    Everyone is different and 5-6 meals per day didn't work for me as it left me hungry between each meal resulting in more calories in. Therefore, I went to Intermittent Fasting which has a ton of health benefits. Basically, I eat between 11am to 7pm. I am never hungry in the mornings anymore and I no longer have late night snack urges. Due to the fast, I fill up easily and can have large meals if I choose. As far as metabolism goes, 5-6 meals per day will enhance your metabolism no more than 2 large meals per day will. The "keep the furnace burning" is total B.S. and propaganda. Your metabolism changes in relation to the size of the meal so small meals barely have in impact on it and large meals affect it largely. Growth hormone is released after about 14 hours of fasting, once again boosting metabolism. Studies also report that Intermittent fasting allows you to lose 90% fat rather than 75% fat on a eat often schedule. So if keeping muscle is important for you, IF is the way to go. If being healthy, IF is the way to go. The first few mornings sucked but after about 3 days, I no longer have hunger pains all morning long. As a matter of fact, I have to remind myself to eat because it is "time" . 5 - 6 meals a day leaves me hungry all day long and that does me no good whatsoever.
  • wdwgirl3
    Options
    A long time ago I did the 6 meals a day and lost 10lbs in 2 weeks. I would say it works as long as you are eating GOOD food at each meal. I currently am good to get 3 in me due to time but I try to do my snacks when I can. How do you change it to be 6 meals on MFP?

Under the food diary, go to settings on the far right hand side:)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I changed my food diary labels to reflect time slots instead of meal names. Now I can look back and see what I ate when instead of putting snacks at the end when I might eat them through out the day. This has helped me identify what I'm eating in the evening, when often I'm eating because I'm bored instead of because I'm hungry.

I eat often, I don't know whether to call it small meals or call it snacking. This keeps me from being hungry and helps me stay under my calorie goal for the day. There are people on this site who claim to eat 1 meal a day and very little to nothing the rest of the day. You have to do what works for you. It's your daily intake that matters.

For normal people meal timing has no significant impact and eating many small meals to boost your metabolism is a myth. What I mean by normal people is not competition body builders or elite athletes or people with special dietary needs or illness like diabetes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and 5-6 meals per day didn't work for me as it left me hungry between each meal resulting in more calories in. Therefore, I went to Intermittent Fasting which has a ton of health benefits. Basically, I eat between 11am to 7pm. I am never hungry in the mornings anymore and I no longer have late night snack urges. Due to the fast, I fill up easily and can have large meals if I choose. As far as metabolism goes, 5-6 meals per day will enhance your metabolism no more than 2 large meals per day will. The "keep the furnace burning" is total B.S. and propaganda. Your metabolism changes in relation to the size of the meal so small meals barely have in impact on it and large meals affect it largely. Growth hormone is released after about 14 hours of fasting, once again boosting metabolism. Studies also report that Intermittent fasting allows you to lose 90% fat rather than 75% fat on a eat often schedule. So if keeping muscle is important for you, IF is the way to go. If being healthy, IF is the way to go. The first few mornings sucked but after about 3 days, I no longer have hunger pains all morning long. As a matter of fact, I have to remind myself to eat because it is "time" . 5 - 6 meals a day leaves me hungry all day long and that does me no good whatsoever.

I would like to see these studies you mention.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have found it to work for me - very small portions ever 2 -3 hours so I'm never hungry, never feel deprived. I do eat a pretty big breakfast first thing in the morning with lots of chopped onions, green pepers, mushrooms, spinach, 1/2 cup of egg beaters and sometimes a small potato chopped up in it too, other times a little bowl of oatmeal with it. The fiber and protein helps me stay full longer. Then the rest of the day is 1/2 an apple, a light cheese stick, a bunch of baby carrots, a lite yogurt, an ounce of nuts - all spreadout through out the day. Dinner is usually a vegie and piece of meat - a chicken breast or a pork chop. I lke to "graze" though out the day.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Growth hormone is released after about 14 hours of fasting, once again boosting metabolism. Studies also report that Intermittent fasting allows you to lose 90% fat rather than 75% fat on a eat often schedule. So if keeping muscle is important for you, IF is the way to go. If being healthy, IF is the way to go. The first few mornings sucked but after about 3 days, I no longer have hunger pains all morning long. As a matter of fact, I have to remind myself to eat because it is "time" . 5 - 6 meals a day leaves me hungry all day long and that does me no good whatsoever.
    What studies? What defines intermittent fasting? You've been doing this 3 days and you want to declare it the way to go? You know it keeps muscle from personal experience? You know it's made you healthier? I don't believe that you have to remind yourself to eat.

To the OP you have to do what works for you and not get caught up in the latest metabolic boosting myth.

By the way, I intermittent fast, I don't eat anything between midnight and 7am.
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VzA9A4cdHU

I have tried several meals a day but I like the 3 meals a day and have done so for the last several years.

I am not a body builder (olympic lifter, not olympic rank though) but I like Vic Costa, he is a natural body builder and has had 3 meals a day for 10 years.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's all about personal preference. We all feel hungry at different times of the day. Some of us prefer large meals and others prefer to "graze" throughout the day. I personally hate breakfast, and love training early on a 100% empty stomach. So therefore my first meal everyday is around 1pm, and I eat 3 meals (lunch, dinner, pre-bed snack)

Eating frequency has very little impact on whether or not your weight loss goals are met, in my opinion. What I can say about the 5-6 meal deal is that it builds some structure into your feeding "patterns", and that can be a good thing....
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing JBdowns mentioned. I'm only into week 2 but i really like 5 meals a day. It has been hard at work so i just have a protein shake. I noticed my blood sugar is much more stable this way.
  • gonzo2802
    Options
    Yeah, I'm doing the 3 meals and 3 snacks method for myself. As others have stated, as long as you're hitting your calories and doing what's comfortable for YOUR body, when and how often you eat is irrelevant.

Me personally, I love the act of eating. So when I try to fit into the "3 Squares a Day" routine, my subconcious rebels and I tend to consume more food before I'm able to convince myself I'm full.
  • jmwaskie
    Options
    I tried the 5-6 meal a day thing twice and did not find any success in weight loss, portion size management or anything. I just found myself eating all day and gaining all kinds of weight. I find that I eat a few times a day and do not allow myself to eat past 7pm - no matter what. That's a hard fast rule for me. I have found some success with it. I find I am actually eating better through the day, I feel better, I do not have the mid-day crash around 2pm that I used to have and I have a better diet and eat less of the "bad stuff." It has been pretty amazing. Good luck to you and do what works best for you and your body. Different bodies and different solutions. Good luck and rock it! :)
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eating several small meals to keep your metabolism going is a long ago debunked myth. Meal timing and frequency is irrelavent. Hit your macros and calories for the day every day in whatever manner you like.

dis.
  • wdwgirl3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! :smile: I want to give it a try in the hopes I will always feel full and not feel the need to graze and have whatever is in the kitchen fill me up. Also, I will try filling in what I am going to eat first thing in the morning, so I am on a schedule and not just eating cause I am bored, stressed ect ect. Trying really hard to make my brain think of food as fuel , not as a best friend who is there to comfort me when I am bored, lonely, stressed, or happy. Lol
  • Bravand
    Options
    3 days? My opinions are based upon factual studies. You asked for it, you got it! I am surprised you don't know more about fasting especially if you are trying to lose weight, coupled with a ton of information online from studies. I am surprised that you challenged me since you could have just googled it and got the answers. I can only assume that your theories are based upon "bro science".

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition states in this article (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full) that (1) decreases in blood pressure, (2) reduction in oxidative damage to lipids, protein and DNA, (3) improvement in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake, and (4) decreases in fat mass are among the benefits of intermittent fasting.

First of all, I often do have to remind myself to eat my first meal of the day. I work from home so I don't have a bell that goes off telling me to go feed. Why would you not believe that? Have you tried IF? Didn't think so. After the first 3-4 days morning hunger goes away. Breakfast is what makes everyone so damn hungry at lunch. Skipping breakfast is healthy for me and many others.

Intermmittent fasting is generally 14- 36 hours at a time. Research shows that intermittent fasting can help prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes and many of the diseases and disorders we see today. Our ancestors followed an intermittent fasting lifestyle for thousands of years, which means, your DNA is hard wired for this. Recent research shows that intermittent fasting sky-rockets HGH in women up to 1,300% and in men up to 2000%! It optimizes energy levels and turns your bodies metabolism into a "fat burner" so you can lose weight through normalizing insulin and leptin levels. Intermittent fasting can actually help you gain muscle mass. The metabolic response to fasting involves a series of hormonal and metabolic adaptations leading to protein conservation. An increase in the serum level of growth hormone (GH) during fasting has been well substantiated. (Effects of Growth Hormone on Glucose, Lipid, and Protein Metabolism in Human Subjects
    Endocrine Reviews April 1, 2009 30:152-177).

A lower proportion of lean mass is lost in response to intermittent CR (90% weight lost as fat, 10% weight loss as fat free mass) (21–23) when compared to daily CR (75% weight lost as fat, 25% weight loss as fat free mass) (4,7–16).

Halberg N, Henriksen M, Soderhamn N. Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. J Appl Physiol 2005; 99: 2128–2136.

Michalsen A, Riegert M, Ludtke R. Mediterranean diet or extended fasting’s influence on changing the intestinal microflora, immunoglobulin A secretion and clinical outcome in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia: an observational study.

BMC Complement Altern Med 2005; 5: 22.

Heilbronn LK, Smith SR, Martin CK, Anton SD, Ravussin E. Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81: 69–73.

Johnson JB, Summer W, Cutler RG. Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma. Free Radic Biol Med 2007; 42: 665–674.

Varady KA, Bhutani S, Church EC, Klempel MC. Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 90: 1138–1143.

Other references:
    1. Intermountain Medical Center. Routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart, study suggests. ScienceDaily. 2011
    2. Fernando M. Safdie, et. al. “Fasting and cancer treatment in humans: A case series report.” Aging 2009
    3. Siegel I, et. al. “Effects of short-term dietary restriction on survivall of mammary ascites tumor-bearing rats.” Cancer Invest. 1998
    4. Louiza Belkacemi, et al. ” Intermittent Fasting Modulation of the Diabetic Syndrome in Streptozotocin-Injected Rates” Internal Journal of Endocrinology. 2012
    5. “Study finds routine periodic fasting is good for health, and your heart.” Intermountain Medical Center, 2011

Thank you for your attention.
  • Bravand
    Options

I would like to see these studies you mention.

Okay:
    3 days? My opinions are based upon factual studies. You asked for it, you got it! I am surprised you don't know more about fasting especially if you are trying to lose weight, coupled with a ton of information online from studies. I am surprised that you challenged me since you could have just googled it and got the answers. I can only assume that your theories are based upon "bro science".

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition states in this article (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full) that (1) decreases in blood pressure, (2) reduction in oxidative damage to lipids, protein and DNA, (3) improvement in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake, and (4) decreases in fat mass are among the benefits of intermittent fasting.

First of all, I often do have to remind myself to eat my first meal of the day. I work from home so I don't have a bell that goes off telling me to go feed. Why would you not believe that? Have you tried IF? Didn't think so. After the first 3-4 days morning hunger goes away. Breakfast is what makes everyone so damn hungry at lunch. Skipping breakfast is healthy for me and many others.

Intermmittent fasting is generally 14- 36 hours at a time. Research shows that intermittent fasting can help prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes and many of the diseases and disorders we see today. Our ancestors followed an intermittent fasting lifestyle for thousands of years, which means, your DNA is hard wired for this. Recent research shows that intermittent fasting sky-rockets HGH in women up to 1,300% and in men up to 2000%! It optimizes energy levels and turns your bodies metabolism into a "fat burner" so you can lose weight through normalizing insulin and leptin levels. Intermittent fasting can actually help you gain muscle mass. The metabolic response to fasting involves a series of hormonal and metabolic adaptations leading to protein conservation. An increase in the serum level of growth hormone (GH) during fasting has been well substantiated. (Effects of Growth Hormone on Glucose, Lipid, and Protein Metabolism in Human Subjects
    Endocrine Reviews April 1, 2009 30:152-177).

A lower proportion of lean mass is lost in response to intermittent CR (90% weight lost as fat, 10% weight loss as fat free mass) (21–23) when compared to daily CR (75% weight lost as fat, 25% weight loss as fat free mass) (4,7–16).

Halberg N, Henriksen M, Soderhamn N. Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. J Appl Physiol 2005; 99: 2128–2136.

Michalsen A, Riegert M, Ludtke R. Mediterranean diet or extended fasting’s influence on changing the intestinal microflora, immunoglobulin A secretion and clinical outcome in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia: an observational study.

BMC Complement Altern Med 2005; 5: 22.

Heilbronn LK, Smith SR, Martin CK, Anton SD, Ravussin E. Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81: 69–73.

Johnson JB, Summer W, Cutler RG. Alternate day calorie restriction improves clinical findings and reduces markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight adults with moderate asthma. Free Radic Biol Med 2007; 42: 665–674.

Varady KA, Bhutani S, Church EC, Klempel MC. Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 90: 1138–1143.

Other references:
    1. Intermountain Medical Center. Routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart, study suggests. ScienceDaily. 2011
    2. Fernando M. Safdie, et. al. “Fasting and cancer treatment in humans: A case series report.” Aging 2009
    3. Siegel I, et. al. “Effects of short-term dietary restriction on survivall of mammary ascites tumor-bearing rats.” Cancer Invest. 1998
    4. Louiza Belkacemi, et al. ” Intermittent Fasting Modulation of the Diabetic Syndrome in Streptozotocin-Injected Rates” Internal Journal of Endocrinology. 2012
    5. “Study finds routine periodic fasting is good for health, and your heart.” Intermountain Medical Center, 2011

Thank you for your attention.
  • Bravand
    Options
    error