Recipes you add yourself

Options
Hello!

I've added a few recipes on MFP and I'm confused about how to add the proper serving of a recipe, since we measure everything out--there isn't an actual "serving size" option, just an option for how many people it serves. I feel like this isn't always accurate, but I'm not sure how to go about figuring this out--any thoughts?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand.

When you create the recipe, as you note, you can set how many people it serves. This will determine what the system considers a single serving. For example, if you make a pizza and say that it feeds 4 people, then a single serving will equal one quarter of the pizza.

I find this system a little less helpful for things like soups where I'm not likely to eat it based on what percentage of the whole I'm consuming; I'm more likely to measure it out using a cup. As far as I know there is no particularly helpful way of having MFP help you if this is your problem. What you'd want to do is weigh all of the ingredients, total it out, and then weigh what you're eating when it's done, which should give you a percentage of the whole. This isn't perfect and assumes a uniform distribution of ingredients, but you don't have that many options.
  • Sunflowergirl1
    Sunflowergirl1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have just poured the end result into a huge measuring bowl and determined how much the total volume is, then decided how many servings (usually 1 cup) it produces.
  • trillion30
    trillion30 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tend to make in bulk and freeze so I just make up the recipe and then make sure I split equally by weighing the portions and making sure they are equal, that is then my portion. As long as I make the recipe to the exact measurements each time I use that as my marker of a portion size.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I take a less than scientific approach and figure out how many "scoops" the finished product contains and use that as a serving. So if I put two scoops on the two kids plates and three on mine and my husbands and there are about 2 left then I would make it serve 12 people and I would add 3 servings for mine. It's certainly flawed but in an effort versus accuracy comparison it's close enough for me.