Olive Garden

Options
Okay, so my boyfriend's father's birthday is today, and we are going to Olive Garden. I'm not huge on pasta - what are some good items to pick to eat? Any suggestions?

Replies

• AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I love Olive Garden this is why I haven't been in there FOREVER. Hope someone has good ideas.
  • bunyapine
    bunyapine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would be going for some of the antipasto dishes with olives, feta, tomatoes and mixed greens. You can make up some good meals just from a few entree combinations
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    minestrone soup is a safe bet. lots of veggies n it will fill you up for a little while, when you get home have something you prepped yourself. the bread is the killer, just one piece will be tasty and a small salad (you will have to eat slow since everyone else will be going for 2nds and watching that would be depressing. Good luck, i am jealous.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Check out their menu online before going. They do have some fit fare or something where the dishes are less then 500 calories. They have this apricot chicken I would love to try, but have not been to olive garden in a very long time. Avoid the breadsticks, and don't gorge on the salad and you should be good.
  • payitforwardx3
    Options
    I'm thinking about going with the Chicken and Gnocchi soup. It's my favorite. Staying away from the breadsticks and salad dressing will be the problem!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Apart from not liking pasta so much, I have no idea what to base a suggestion on.

If you have nutritional concerns: http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/

If you're just wondering what other people enjoy, I like the Chicken Scampi. Though, of course, that includes pasta.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Go simple. Pick pastas with red sauces. Whenever you place your order, immediately ask for a to go box when you get your meal and box of half of it immediately. That way you aren't tempted. Also, I indulge a little on the salad, even with the dressing, but I avoid the breadsticks and it's not too bad.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always do the soup and salad. I get the Minestrone (one bowl is 100 calories) and ask for salad with no dressing. I believe you can request a "light" dressing as well on the salad.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Stick with the soup & salad, all of there meals are very caloric,
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They have their full menu calorie count here- http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

I really enjoy their panini and if you go for the half size the damage is not too bad.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for lunch, it's always Zuppa Toscana and salad.. I don't like their breadsticks so there is no temptation. Whatever I order for dinner, I immediately split in half and ask for a takeout box. Olive Garden does post their nutritional information online. http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Their website has all the nutritional info you need. If you're looking for suggestions of what tastes good, the lasagna primavera on the under 500 calorie menu is really good. The pasta fagiole (not sure how to spell it) has only 130 calories (but is loaded with sodium). You can order salad without the dressing or with low fat dressing, or you can do what I do and just order a plate of tomatoes and black olives on the side with no dressing :) Breadsticks are 150 calories each and I eat one when my meal comes. Whatever you do, don't order from the new 3 course meal they are offering for $12.95. I made a mistake and didn't check yesterday and my meal was 1100 calories and 61 grams of fat...NOT GOOD!
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I LOVE their muscles! (in the appetizer section) Usually I get an order of those as my meal and stuff myself on salad (cause I loves theirs) and one or maybe two bread sticks. Have fun!
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've had the Venetian Apricot Chicken once. It was pretty good!

It's under the lighter italian fare section.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The Apricot chicken was tasty. Just drink lots of water, their food has a ton of sodium.
  • volumptuousone
    Options
    calamari with parmesean peppercorn sauce: 300 calories, 1.5 protein, 6 carbs
    chicken and gnocchi 250 calories 15.5 protein 29 carbs
    stuffed mushrooms: 280 calories 12.5 protein, 15 carbs
    mussels di Nipoli 180 calories, 14 protein, 13 carbs

I love the mussels di Nipoli or the stuffed mushrooms. Each is high in protein and carbs are under 15, which is my goal at each meal.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Capellini Pomodoro, omnomnom! I also love the Chicken con Broccoli (if they even have it anymore) and I used to have them skip the pasta entirely and just add extra broccoli.
  • payitforwardx3
    Options
    Check out their menu online before going. They do have some fit fare or something where the dishes are less then 500 calories. They have this apricot chicken I would love to try, but have not been to olive garden in a very long time. Avoid the breadsticks, and don't gorge on the salad and you should be good.

I ended up going with the Apricot Chicken which was great! I did have salad. Completely avoided the breadsticks, which I'm very proud of myself for.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden has a new lighter fare menu. I had the Seafood Brodetto - it was delicious!! (and no pasta - just seafood) The apricot chicken is very good too.
  • 62texan
    62texan Posts: 13
    Options
    They will also bring plain breadsticks without all the butter on them upon request.