Coconut oil

Options
124»

Replies

• sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There is a great book call Eat Fat Lose Fat and it tells you about coconut oil and its benefits.
    http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/

Disregard anything that DR Oz has to say. He's simply ridiculous.

<3
    Thank you for this!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    When you use coconut oil for your face as a moisturizer, do you wash it off or just let it dry?

Has it helped anyone with acne?

A little of both for me I have really dry skin :)

You can apply it on your face and let it sit for 10 mins and then lightly remove any that did not absorb with a warm wash cloth. Or just leave it on if your skin needs it. My skin needs it so I leave it on

I will put it on kinda thick and let it sit while I shower and then at the end of the shower I will scrub my face with a wash cloth to wash my face.

when my skin is dry I just put it on as I would lotion and don"t wipe it off. so you kinda have to find what works for you

it has helped with acne for me :)
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I use coconut oil on my skin {face}, my curly hair, body, my homemade soaps & deodorant, and food! I LOVE IT!:drinker:

Does it help with curly hair? Like, de-frizzing it or just makes hair healthier in general?

it works as a great detangler for curly hair on the ends, I don"t use it on the roots, only scalp if needed and not often. but that is my hair type.

Actually I have been using a homade conditioner that consist of apple cider vinegar, food grade aloe vera gel, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and honey It helps clean with out stripping and it keep my hair soft and shiny and I can run my finger through it.

and for shampoo about 1x a month I use a mix of baking soda and water that is boiled and cooled :) and then I rinse with cool water not hot. my hair is in great shape and unless the humidity is horribly high it is way less frizzy :)

I have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years and am finally happy with my curly hair.

What are the portions on those? Like, how much of each do you mix?

i will try and fand find you the recipes links and post in a PM if you'd like ( all this talk about coconut oil reminded me I need lunch! HA)
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to help prevent alzheimer's as well. The type of fat is used in rebuilding and maintaining the communication between cells of the brain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to help prevent alzheimer's as well. The type of fat is used in rebuilding and maintaining the communication between cells of the brain.
    The jury's still out on that. Ketones seems to be interesting though.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I use coconut oil on my skin {face}, my curly hair, body, my homemade soaps & deodorant, and food! I LOVE IT!:drinker:

Does it help with curly hair? Like, de-frizzing it or just makes hair healthier in general?

it works as a great detangler for curly hair on the ends, I don"t use it on the roots, only scalp if needed and not often. but that is my hair type.

Actually I have been using a homade conditioner that consist of apple cider vinegar, food grade aloe vera gel, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and honey It helps clean with out stripping and it keep my hair soft and shiny and I can run my finger through it.

and for shampoo about 1x a month I use a mix of baking soda and water that is boiled and cooled :) and then I rinse with cool water not hot. my hair is in great shape and unless the humidity is horribly high it is way less frizzy :)

I have been doing this for about 2 1/2 years and am finally happy with my curly hair.

What are the portions on those? Like, how much of each do you mix?

i will try and fand find you the recipes links and post in a PM if you'd like ( all this talk about coconut oil reminded me I need lunch! HA)

I would love that! Thank you!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to help prevent alzheimer's as well.
    There's no real study to support this, there's a story about a physician that did her own experiment on her husband and it seemed to help him. This story is repeated over and over again on the internet.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it on Dr Oz, I was shown the book by a friend - the recipies are good and if you do the smoothie recipie it tastes great - I use coconut oil in place of regular oil when cooking - cakes turn out alot moister and even when grilling or frying chicken the meat isn't full of oil when you fry with a coconut oil in the pan.
    coconut oil is a triple chain fatty acid so it is broken down more readily for energy .

The mostly used polyunsaturated oils such as soybean, corn, grapeseed, cottonseed, safflower, etc, are the least healthy for cooking or baking.

heres a website with some more information including peer reviewed research
    http://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/

do you warm up the oil to liquid state then for use in cakes and then measure the same as you would vegetable oil?

Yes, I would warm it up to liquid usually in the microwave for 15-30 seconds at a time (it becomes liqued at a failry low temp) and measure out with either a measuring cup or spoons depending on the recipie. I also used it in smoothies and the effect is if you haven't had it like that before can give you an upset stomach for a day or so but after that you feel fuller longer thoughout the day. I buy mine at Kroger in the health food section.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I put a tbsp in my coffee 2 1/2 hours ago. I drank the coffee right after lunch. Usually by now I'm thinking "snack!" but that coffee with the coconut oil really filled me up. This is awesome. I'm learning so much about it. Very versatile product.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you buy coconut milk, it has the dense oil at top, I use that in frying, or on my skin, or mix the coconut milk well with a wire wisk and use it in a smoothie, on oatmeal, or as a creamer in coffee. you can find it in the asian isle at the grocery store
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with coconut oil. I also use it as a massage oil, as it's in a solid state it travels easier. I took a jar on my walking holiday to Wales. Helped with our sore feet.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use it everyday in my smoothie. Here is a video link that will add to your knowledge. Just be sure you use organic, unprocessed oil IMHO. Trader Joe's is the cheapest, Kroger has it in the organic section and you can get it at health food stores.

http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    Another thumbs up for coconut oil. It is really the best oil to cook with. We've been programmed to be afraid of saturated fats when we really shouldn't be, assuming they are coming from good sources like coconuts and not junk food.
  • gsmith3286
    Options
    There’s a newly released e-book on amazon.com I’ve discovered called, “The Coconut Oil Health & Beauty Book” by M.D. Fry, PhD. I’ve explored many books on the topic of coconut oil, this one, however, is particularly simple, practical and one of the more compete books I've found...It's worth at least a book to check out
  • Jane971
    Options
    Bump
  • makemyselfpr0ud
    Options
    Bump!