Gluten Free

Options
My doctor has brought to my attention that I need to cut out gluten. Apparently that is the cause for many of my symptoms. I have realized that EVERYTHING has gluten! What are some of your favorite gluten free recipes!

Replies

• ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love pasta which i have replaced with gluten free pasta. The one i have currently is made from corn and rice grain and i can make all my usual dinners with it, checking the pre- packaged sauces for suitability if i am not making my own.

I also use gluten free flour to make cakes and that kind of thing. Not big on the ready made gluten free bread, i often find it tastes strange.
  • almondbuttalovah
    Options
    Trader Joe's gluten free bread is the best I've found so far! When heated, it has a great texture and taste unlike most GF breads. Also, the GF all purpose flour mixes are VERY useful and easy to use for baking!

It's actually not that difficult to cut out gluten. There are lots of substitutes sold for your favorite things (:
  • kstar821
    kstar821 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised how many meals you can make without gluten. My daughter (who is 3.5) was diagnosed with celiac almost a year ago and I have the blood work in hand to be tested myself (which I suspect is the underlying cause of a lot of my issues)

We have a GF/non GF household (my husband and older daughter tested negative)

Anyway - I find the hardest meal for her is lunch.

For breakfast, she likes cereal (there are a lot of non junky GF options) or waffles/french toast sticks (we buy either van's or wegmans brand)

For lunch (she is in daycare) I will pack her yogurt, GF pretzels, and a peanut butter sandwich on a piece of GF bread (she is not crazy about the sandwiches)

For dinner, you have tons of options. All meats, veggies, and fruits are naturally GF! I make pork loin, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, etc. We do like GF pasta, too, it's actually pretty good. :)

Let me know if you have any brand specific questions; I'd be happy to help.
  • Britfitnessjourney
    Britfitnessjourney Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I'm doing my best to switch! Every now and than I slip up and eat something with Gluten. It is a little tricky at first, but I am starting to get the hang of it.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and my diary is open. For the most part, I just eat meat, eggs, veggies, potatoes, and rice. Beware that many GF alternative products are higher in calories than their traditional counterparts, so don't go crazy with the GF snack foods. Check your spice cabinet too, unfortunately many blends have fillers and are one of the sources of hidden gluten.