Do I have to have a rest day?

Options
Saturday is my rest day. All I think about on that day is food. It seems that if I exercise I dont focus on food as much. Do I have to have a rest day? I am almost finished with TF and will be starting TF/CLX hybrid February.

Replies

• _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    When I don't feel like resting but know that I need it (even if I don't feel like it my body needs it to repair, etc.) I go for a walk as my "work out". Even a long walk. Maybe that could work for you? :) I'm a bit of a workoutaholic myself and find this helps me to not feel like I haven't done anyhthing, without over-working myself.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    Depends on the type of exercise. Cardio can be done every day but heavy weight training requires a rest day or two per week..

I couple my rest day with my cheat day where I eat whatever I want.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Rest days don't have to mean you sit around and do nothing all day. You can get out and do some exercise but keep the intensity low your body does need time to recover. Get out and about to the park or walking around should be enough to keep your mind of things and keep your body healthy too .
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As long as your body is getting enough rest and time to rehabilitate. Only way to know is to try it and find out. Pay special attention to how you feel and your performance
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others .. resting is beneficial to give your body and muscles a chance to heal and recover. You risk injury otherwise which could put you out of commission longer than just a single rest day.

Just like someone said .. rest days doesn't mean you have to sit still and do nothing all day .. go for a nice long walk .. or have fun playing a little basketball or play in the snow if you are in a wintery area .. LOL

I wouldn't do the heavy weight lifting thing .. light cardio .. a couple of laps in the pool doesn't have to be excessive :flowerforyou:
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    Rest does not mean you can't move...lol

However, rest is an important part of any training program. This is when your body repairs itself and builds new muscle. I have a hard time on rest days as well. Remember it is part of your training program.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i think a rest day could still involve exercise but maybe less intense than your regular routine. on my rest days i will do the elliptical at a moderate pace for 45 min or i will walk at a moderate pace on an incline for 45 min to an hour. i workout pretty hard so for me, those were rest days. everyone is different. learn from your body. it will let you know if it needs a rest.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Depends on the type of exercise. Cardio can be done every day but heavy weight training requires a rest day or two per week..

^This. Even if you are training with heavy weights you can do some active recovery work on your days off to increase your GPP. I will usually do stuff like jogging, 100 meter springs, push ups, sit ups, dragging a weighted sled up and down the street, carrying around an atlas stone, pushing a car, throwing an atlas stone, throwing heavy chains or flipping a tire on my days off.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    I will usually do stuff like jogging, 100 meter springs, push ups, sit ups, dragging a weighted sled up and down the street, carrying around an atlas stone, pushing a car, throwing an atlas stone, throwing heavy chains or flipping a tire on my days off.

LOL beast!

brb pushing car on rest day for active recovery
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    i think a rest day could still involve exercise but maybe less intense than your regular routine. on my rest days i will do the elliptical at a moderate pace for 45 min or i will walk at a moderate pace on an incline for 45 min to an hour. i workout pretty hard so for me, those were rest days. everyone is different. learn from your body. it will let you know if it needs a rest.

^^^ This. If you need help staying away from the food get back in the gym and go at a moderate pace. You'll recover fine if you aren't pushing too hard and it will help keep you focused on fit and not food.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The main reason a rest day is suggested is to prevent injury, along with recovery. Although, if you are doing different things on different days that would prevent any over use injuries. If you are also able to go at a higher intensity work out & switch in lower intensity workouts then your body wouldn't be as torn & focused on repair constantly...also switching up different body types and workout routines will prevent that as well...so that would let your body settle and recover. I'd say on your rest days if you felt like you wanted to do moderate activity like a walk that would be best. But it's also just a good idea to have a rest day for your mind!! Don't want to get too burnt out & you always need a day to relax.

:) Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

^This. Even if you are training with heavy weights you can do some active recovery work on your days off to increase your GPP. I will usually do stuff like jogging, 100 meter springs, push ups, sit ups, dragging a weighted sled up and down the street, carrying around an atlas stone, pushing a car, throwing an atlas stone, throwing heavy chains or flipping a tire on my days off.

I was thinking of inventing a workout called "work your *kitten* off on my farm" - you'll do. The pay is 0, but theres lots of carrying stuff about...:bigsmile:
  • Loftearmen
    Options

I was thinking of inventing a workout called "work your *kitten* off on my farm" - you'll do. The pay is 0, but theres lots of carrying stuff about...:bigsmile:

Lol. I know pitching 125lb bails of hay for an afternoon is one hell of a workout

Here's a video of me doing a circuit on my day off a year or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K347HeQfBYc
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

While reading this post, "The Eye of the Tiger" started playing in my head.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have asked the same question before.

I also have done the lighter workouts on my rest day. I walk instead of my walk/run intervals. Or I ride the exercise bike which is less intense.

Pay attention to your body a couple months ago I over trained and I felt awful I took 2 days off and ran my fastest 5k ever the next day. I was not resting enough.

Since then I do the low intensity or walk. Much better!

Just like you I have trouble with eating on rest days. So I don't plan on sitting around all day. :smile:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If you have significant soreness, a rest day can help.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I often go for a long walk on my rest day. That couple hundred extra calories burned makes me feel like I did something, without actually draining too much energy.
  • codycisco
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am doing TurboFire right now but will be starting the hybrid in Feb. I think going for a leisurely ride on my horse through the woods should suffice quite well!
  • NVREST
    NVREST Posts: 94
    Options
    I think that very few people really need a "rest" day given that I think unless you are training for some competition and are been pushed to make a tough workout everytime, the rest it is somewhat overrated.

I try to gauge how I feel if I really feel I need that rest day or not, otherwise, I go to the gym..