Arghhh what am i doing wrong?!?!?!

Options
Hi, need help, my willpower is rapidly going out the window as i write this lol...

Started at 28st, - now 23st 6lb taken a while to get here, but now ive joined a gym about 4 months ago, was losing but this last week or two i seem to be stuck!! :( i go gym 6 times a week, for around 90-100mins, I do the usual cardio machines, and a few weights ... i eat healthy, i know i don't drink nowhere near as much as i should do.. but surely that cant be the thing stopping me from losing more weight?

Any help would be appreciated, slowly losing the will to live ha!

I also weigh myself twice a day, i know i know i shouldnt , but i cant help it:(

Many thanks Vikki x

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi, need help, my willpower is rapidly going out the window as i write this lol...

Started at 28st, - now 23st 6lb taken a while to get here, but now ive joined a gym about 4 months ago, was losing but this last week or two i seem to be stuck!! :( i go gym 6 times a week, for around 90-100mins, I do the usual cardio machines, and a few weights ... i eat healthy, i know i don't drink nowhere near as much as i should do.. but surely that cant be the thing stopping me from losing more weight?

Any help would be appreciated, slowly losing the will to live ha!

I also weigh myself twice a day, i know i know i shouldnt , but i cant help it:(

Many thanks Vikki x

If all you are doing is weighing yourself, you are only getting a snapshot of the whole picture.

Start tracking measurements of your body parts, and doing fat readings. If you are working out, lost 5 lbs of fat but gained 6 lb of muscle - you will think you gained 1 lb & be depressed instead of being happy & giving high fives!

You may be doing great and not even knowing it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing for a stall/ plateau, especially after losing quite a bit!

Give it another week it two, but some suggestions you might look into:

- adjust your workout by switching up your cardio to resistance ratio. If you always do the same thing, even just trying something new can help
    -adjust tour calories. Set MFP to maintenance for a week or two, then resume what you were doing, being sure toest back your exercise calories
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am sure that you are doing nothing wrong but that your body is just maybe readjusting with regard to the fantastic amount of exercise that you are now doing. Just keep going as you have done AMAZINGLY well. In addition keep looking back to remind yourself just how far you have already come (and take those body measurements too!). Good luck! x
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Measure instead. And remember, you are getting healthy!
  • aj_20_04
    Options
    That seems like a hell of a long time at the gym!! Try and up the intensity and stay for 60 mins max. Also not had a look at your diary, but make sure your getting enough fibre and drink more water. Well done on the progress so far dont let this stop you! Walls are ment for knocking down

Give us access to your diary + tell us some more info on your workouts :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much are you eating? With someone as active as you are, you will probably need a good amount of calories. Are you fueling your body for your workouts?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a week or two? Don't worry about it yet. Weight loss isn't just a linear progression. A bump or two in the road is to be expected. If you took measurements from before, now's a good time to retake measurements to see how much has changed. If not, then take measurements now, for comparison later.

In addition, what are your goals? How close are you to them? The closer we get to our goal weights, the slower it goes. So, if my math is correct, you've lost 4 stone 10 lb - which is 66 lbs. That's quite a bit. You may very well have to adjust your Caloric intake. Make sure to recalculate your current BMR and TDEE and compare those numbers to what you're eating.
  • batkinson1977
    batkinson1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take pictures...put them away, throw out the scale. I just started on this forum, but to date I have lost 28 pounds. I can tell you that the scale is discouraging every time...unless you are on the biggest loser and living and breathing this 8 hours a day.
  • vikkibanks31
    Options
    thanks guys! :)

To be fair im not doing a food diary, Breakfast is 2 weetabix with skimmed milk, and a banana then i go gym, come back have maybe a chicken wrap made at home (not shop bought), with salad. i have WW crisp mid afternoon, then for tea i have a WW meal and a WW ice cream pudding. i KNOW i dont drink enough water, that is my biggest downfall. I also take Semtex (Jodie Marsh) fate burners too!!!
    As for exercise i prob am doing too much, but i figure you cant do too much exercise at the gym in a day can you?? More i do the more weight i lose and faster is my way of thinking :S ....
    Today i killed 600 Cals on crosstrainer, 200 on bike and 100 on treadmill (ran out of time), and weights thrown in (quick reps).

I think my biggest problem is i am not educated about the diet side of things, i havent got a clue what i need what i dont need , how much is burnt off and how much isnt. And when to eat and when not to eat, and what at certains times etc... eg b4 gym after gym ...ARGHHHHHH!!! Confused.com

I have took pics of me before i started this journey, and i can tell the difference in pics and in health, just not bloomin quick enough, thats my problem i think, i have finally decided to lose this fat once and for all, and it seems to be taking forever. Hense the weighing issues, i know i need to throw them out, but its a vicous circle as i NEED to see the results to keep me getting up in the morning and hittting the gym, anyone thats been in my situation before will hopefully understand what i mean.

Thanks guys x
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I have no expertise, but based on my experience, you are probably getting too few calories and too little protein, especially based on how much you work out.

You should log your food and then look at the reports on your nutrition for the week. Are you getting enough iron? Enough calcium? Your body is working hard. Treat it well.

eta - CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are amazing for losing 50+ lbs!
  • aj_20_04
    Options
    Your diet looks ok. My advice would be to replace the WW dinner with some veg/meat/carb (small amounts of low GI carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes) etc. Should really Increase your water intake and fibre (veg). Im not going to say skip the desert as every1 needs their treats now and then but mabey not every night? If you go to the gym that often for that length of time you are over doing it IMO. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, but I ENSURE my sessions are never more than an hour. If they are more than an hour ive been resting for too long between sets or not working hard enough when it comes to cardio. Make sure you get 8 hours sleep.

When it comes to specific times for eating meals there are alot of theories out there. Alot of it is rubbish and bro-science. The only thing I would say helps is to ONLY eat low GI carbs apart from 1st thing in the morning and post workout.
    Never EVER skip breakfast.
    After workout have some protein and some simple sugar, apples/fruit salad, sliced peach.
    Try and avoid carbs after 6pm - alot of people say this is just some myth Im not 100% sure. If you must have something, avoid sugars/high GI carbs.

edit - random spellin mistakes :P
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your diet looks ok. My advice would be to replace the WW dinner with some veg/meat/carb (small amounts of low GI carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes) etc. Should really Increase your water intake and fibre (veg). Im not going to say skip the desert as every1 needs their treats now and then but mabey not every night? If you go to the gym that often for that length of time you are over doing it IMO. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, but I ENSURE my sessions are never more than an hour. If they are more than an hour ive been resting for too long between sets or not working hard enough when it comes to cardio. Make sure you get 8 hours sleep.

When it comes to specific times for eating meals there are alot of theories out there. Alot of it is rubbish and bro-science. The only thing I would say helps is to ONLY eat low GI carbs apart from 1st thing in the morning and post workout.
    Never EVER skip breakfast.
    After workout have some protein and some simple sugar, apples/fruit salad, sliced peach.
    Try and avoid carbs after 6pm - alot of people say this is just some myth Im not 100% sure. If you must have something, avoid sugars/high GI carbs.

edit - random spellin mistakes :P
    You do realize that you are advising stuff that is complete bro-science. Meal frequency doesn't promote greater weight loss. So you can get all your calories in one meal or ten meals, it's all the same. Skipping meals will not affect weight loss at all. Second, you do not need to do low GI foods. In fact, it doesn't matter what you eat, it's all about calories in vs calories out. I will note that some foods will provide greater satiety (to keep you full longer) and some will provide greater protection to preserve your lean body mass (high protein foods). But in the end, it's all about calories.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/