Chinese restaurant: best choices?

Options
Eating out in Chinatown for my daughter's birthday on Sat.

Low-calorie recommendations please!

Replies

• SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    Steamed food is your best friend :)

I normally get steamed chicken and broccoli (or mixed veggies) with the sauce on the side. If you really want to cut calories and carbs, hold off on the rice.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dim sum
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Def go for the veggies! You'll get a ton of sodium, so drink water and then water the next day like crazy! Chinese is one of my favorites!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

I normally get steamed chicken and broccoli (or mixed veggies) with the sauce on the side. If you really want to cut calories and carbs, hold off on the rice.
    I was literally going to say this exactly. It's what I order every time (and did before I even began trying to lose weight, but still). They drench the food in sauce way too heavily if you leave it up to them. I do eat the rice though :tongue:
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options

I was literally going to say this exactly. It's what I order every time (and did before I even began trying to lose weight, but still). They drench the food in sauce way too heavily if you leave it up to them. I do eat the rice though :tongue:

Well...you know what they say about great minds :)

I do love General Tsao...more then the chicken and broccoli but that's definitely not healthy...at all lol.
  • Arcane2013
    Options
    Some places do plain steamed salmon which is tasty :)

Myself I wouldn't be able to resist my favorites which sadly aren't very healthy but I'd go for a little bit of what I like, just keep portion control in mind and get in some exercise in the morning. Enjoy your daughters birthday :)
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy, Hunan Chicken isn't over the top when it comes to calories and fat. A two cup serving is 368 calories and 12 grams of fat. Where we order from it is chicken, green peppers, broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts in a dark spicy sauce.
  • franch71
    franch71 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I was dreading it a bit but it's good to know there are some relatively sensible choices I can make!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    We don't ever eat Chinese takeout anymore, but when I did, this was my fav. Here's a recipe for it. I like the white sauce version,
    but there are recipes for the brown sauce version too.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moo-goo-gai-pan-ii/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eating out in Chinatown for my daughter's birthday on Sat.

Low-calorie recommendations please!

Since it seems you don't want to enjoy yourself for a special occasion, just drink green tea, no to low cals and metabolism boost
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I alway have special chow main (not sure how you spell it). We have Chinese takeaway once a week and this seems to work for me.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I always go for Nut Ting Gree Sea.....

or failing that, stewed veg:wink:
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    add another fan of steamed chicken and veggies with the sauce on the side. when i get chinese food, i get wonton soup (only two wontons - give the rest to my husband), chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side, brown rice, and my fortune cookie :) a good way to really really keep the sauce consumption low is to dip your chopsticks into the sauce, then pick up the chicken/veg. i either do that or mix it all together on a plate - brown rice, chicken, broccoli, and about a tablespoon of sauce.