Eating all my calories

Options
I've got over 900 calories left to my goal today including exercise calories after all my meals. Should I be eating them all?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Eat at least some of them. At your weight, you can afford a bigger deficit, so you can eat a little less. Extra body fat will be used for energy.
  • lazyv310
    lazyv310 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    From everything I have read you should be eating them. I am having the same issue I am consistently under my calories, so far I am still losing but I have been reading that my metabolism will slow down ( I am not sure it can get any slower) and I will stop losing.
  • vbradylady
    vbradylady Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem....I have a hard time consuming all my calories, especially on days when I exercise. If I'm not hungry...do I really have to eat them just because they are there? Seems counterproductive to losing weight....I wish I could get over that in my head.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the calories!!!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I like to have about 250 left at the end of the day to allow for inaccurate calorie counts etc. So you don"t have to eat all 900 but try and get it closer with some good food :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the calories!!!

29128667.jpg
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's ALL About balancing everything to average out correctly each week.
    If i eat less for a few days than I should, I probably will cheat that weekend and enjoy myself. I try to keep my average up to par. That usually makes life easier too when you want to eat something yummy!
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The fatter you are the less of an issue it is, and metabolic slowdown is not the big deal some people make it out to be even for thinner people.
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories but this is a huge deficit - maybe eat some but down to prefrence and how your body reacts whne on such low cal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've got over 900 calories left to my goal today including exercise calories after all my meals. Should I be eating them all?

it depends - do you base your calories on your BMR and TDEE or do you use MFP's suggested calories?
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the calories!!!

29128667.jpg

Oh yeah, I was waiting for that one :happy:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I ate all my calories and it worked.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating calories burned?

Machines & MFP can exaggerate the number of calories burned ..... many people chose to eat a % of calories back when using calorie burns from these sources.

If you are using a heart rate monitor ..... calories burned should be more accurate.

When you eat too few calories, you may actually burn muscle (as well as fat).
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I'm no expert but I've had 3 professionals (a sports medicine dr, a nutritionist, and a fitness coach) all tell me the same thing: NEVER eat your exercise calories. So for example if you were on a 2,000 calorie diet, burned 500 calories exercising, only eat the 2,000 (not 2,500). Hope this helps! =)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

I'm no expert but I've had 3 professionals (a sports medicine dr, a nutritionist, and a fitness coach) all tell me the same thing: NEVER eat your exercise calories. So for example if you were on a 2,000 calorie diet, burned 500 calories exercising, only eat the 2,000 (not 2,500). Hope this helps! =)

Would you use the same approach if you were on a 1200 calorie a day diet? Burn off say 600 through exercise, therefore netting 600. Would you think this would be a healthy approach to long term weight loss and retaining lean muscle?
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options

That's odd. I've spoken to a nutritionist, too. She said to try and eat them all back and if I couldn't, then at least eat half or most.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

This is completely contrary to my understanding of how this site works,