question for other members with a stubborn metabolism...

Options
How long was it before you saw changes, with respect to inches and body mass?

Part of the reason I've sometimes fallen off the fitness wagon, is that I can exercise an hour a day for a month, and not see the scale or tape measure budge, despite tracking calories diligently, and practicing portion control. Even if I keep my calories and portions in the range suggested by MFP, to lose a lb a week, I'm lucky if I lose 1/4 lb/week. Over the past 3 months, I've been within 2 lbs of the same weight, and my waist and hip measurements have stayed the same. I've been exercising a lot more over the last 3 weeks, and I haven't seen any changes in the scale or measurements yet. I'm hoping this may be a sign that I'm gaining muscle, but I was really hoping my waistline would start to shrink, even by a half inch.

I realize plateaus happen, and I realize exercising more can build muscle, which weighs more.

I'll keep up with my hour of daily exercise, and eating right, even if it takes me 3 or 4 times longer to lose a lb than my friends and neighbours, but it is frustrating not to see any changes (yet).

What cardio exercises have helped others with a stubborn metabolism break through a plateau?

Replies

• carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't stick to any certain routine. One day I'll do 45 minutes of Just Dance, the next day, I'll just take a 30 minute walk in the evening. Also, I eat between 1,300-1,500 calories a day so my body doesn't "get used" to my new eating routine. If that makes sense. For example, if I eat 1,300 calories today, I eat between 1,400-1,500 the next day. That has helped me in the past. I gained the weight back because I didn't stick to my routine from previously. Boo! But I am back to it and hope to get the same results as before. :)
  • jovo2013
    jovo2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You might want to try decreasing your calorie intake by 100 or 200 cal/day. Use this method until you are losing a pound per week, and adjust as necessary.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Cleaning. Cleaning is a good way to burn extra calories. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I do it more now since I know that I'm doing something burning calories.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The best way to break a plateau it to increase your calories and reduce your exercise.

I hit a lengthy plateau after eating only 1,200 calories for a few months. When I increased to 1,600 and cut back my cardio I started losing again. I'm now doing a mix of lifting and cardio (P90X) and eating an average of 2,000 calories per day. I'm 5 pounds below my goal weight and still losing body fat.

Check out this link for more info on how to set a reasonable goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • RabAmor
    RabAmor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would suggest building some muscle mass. Try some body weight exercises (look up Convict Conditioning) if you don't like weights, but I would recommend looking into a program like Starting Strength. Often building muscle mass can help you burn more fat.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I would suggest building some muscle mass. Try some body weight exercises (look up Convict Conditioning) if you don't like weights, but I would recommend looking into a program like Starting Strength. Often building muscle mass can help you burn more fat.

Starting Strength IS weights.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    What's your current weight?
    What's your goal weight?
    What is your calorie goal set to on MFP?
    How close to this do you get?

Lot's of things go into play here.
    I've been stuck for over a year and finally have added some weight training and upped my calories based on the Road Map link someone else has posted here. Lost 3 lbs. last week after doing this. Looking forward to what this week shows!
  • 3VKING3
    3VKING3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i was having the same issues.. and becuase i was playing in an adult softball league as well. it took me 2x as lonf to lose wt than my friends. it was very discouraging. i can say if home workouts are an option INSANITY works great! also P90X . Although it looks a little scarey to me i can say that the first regular P90 vidoes. worked great as well. i did manage to lose close to about 20 lbs in 2 months on that one i didnt change my diet to much just the portions. just suggestions in case they were options :) good luck to you!! you can do it just dont give up
  • mlf70
    mlf70 Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't know if this will help or not, but my metabolism was extremely sluggish. I realize that many people don't need to eat breakfast, but for me it helped tremendously. I eat within 1 hour of getting up. Then, I made sure to eat every 2-3 hours. My between meal snacks averaged between 100-200 calories each. Next, I was drinking 10-12 8oz glasses of water throughout the day. I made sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night and at least 20 minutes of cardio with alternating days of strength training. So far this seems to be working for me. However, reading some of the posts out there, you may not need to make these tweeks to get your metabolism going, but it's what finally worked for me. Feel free to friend me.
  • phoenikia
    phoenikia Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The best way to break a plateau it to increase your calories and reduce your exercise.

I hit a lengthy plateau after eating only 1,200 calories for a few months. When I increased to 1,600 and cut back my cardio I started losing again. I'm now doing a mix of lifting and cardio (P90X) and eating an average of 2,000 calories per day. I'm 5 pounds below my goal weight and still losing body fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks. I'll give it a try. When you mention you're eating 2000 calories a day, is that your total calories/day, regardless of how many calories you're burning through P90X?

Congrats on reaching your goal weight (and beyond!)
  • phoenikia
    Options
    Don't know if this will help or not, but my metabolism was extremely sluggish. I realize that many people don't need to eat breakfast, but for me it helped tremendously. I eat within 1 hour of getting up. Then, I made sure to eat every 2-3 hours. My between meal snacks averaged between 100-200 calories each. Next, I was drinking 10-12 8oz glasses of water throughout the day. I made sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night and at least 20 minutes of cardio with alternating days of strength training. So far this seems to be working for me. However, reading some of the posts out there, you may not need to make these tweeks to get your metabolism going, but it's what finally worked for me. Feel free to friend me.

Thank you! I appreciate your tips. And I'll try to work on my breakfast habits. Lately, I've been pretty good about a breakfast of yogurt and some Naturepath cereal. :wink:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll give it a try. When you mention you're eating 2000 calories a day, is that your total calories/day, regardless of how many calories you're burning through P90X?

Yes, my allowance already takes my activity into account. I can burn anywhere from 300-500 calories depending on the workout I am doing on any given day so my deficit may range from 0-600 calories on any given day. I will often average it too. I'll eat 2200 on lift days and 1800 on light or rest days.

Dan's Roadmap method has helped a lot of people lose a lot of weight. I'm a much happier, healthier, and stronger person since I gave up under eating and started fueling properly
  • phoenikia
    Options
    How tall are you?
    What's your current weight?
    What's your goal weight?
    What is your calorie goal set to on MFP?
    How close to this do you get?

Lot's of things go into play here.
    I've been stuck for over a year and finally have added some weight training and upped my calories based on the Road Map link someone else has posted here. Lost 3 lbs. last week after doing this. Looking forward to what this week shows!

I'm 5 foot 6, 170 lbs. My goal for now is 154 lbs (which gives me a BMI of 24.9). My current calorie goal is set to 1340 calories. I've been pretty close to 1340 calories, but that's including extra calories for any calories I've burned while exercising. According to the elliptical and treadmills at my gym, at my weight of 170 and age of 39, I usually am burning around 500 calories in a one hour session. In addition to the elliptical and treadmill, I'm also doing Body Pump and Zumba classes, skiing and walking my dog.

My total calories tends to be somewhere between 1700 and 2000 calories. I find if I get under 1500 calories (total) a day, I have trouble sleeping through the night.
  • phoenikia
    Options

Yes, my allowance already takes my activity into account. I can burn anywhere from 300-500 calories depending on the workout I am doing on any given day so my deficit may range from 0-600 calories on any given day. I will often average it too. I'll eat 2200 on lift days and 1800 on light or rest days.

Dan's Roadmap method has helped a lot of people lose a lot of weight. I'm a much happier, healthier, and stronger person since I gave up under eating and started fueling properly
    Thanks! Seeing that you've lost 40 lbs is very inspirational. I hope to get my BMI in the healthy zone first, but my ideal weight is 40 lbs away. Will try using Dan's Roadmap.
  • phoenikia
    Options
    i was having the same issues.. and becuase i was playing in an adult softball league as well. it took me 2x as lonf to lose wt than my friends. it was very discouraging. i can say if home workouts are an option INSANITY works great! also P90X . Although it looks a little scarey to me i can say that the first regular P90 vidoes. worked great as well. i did manage to lose close to about 20 lbs in 2 months on that one i didnt change my diet to much just the portions. just suggestions in case they were options :) good luck to you!! you can do it just dont give up

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one with a sluggish metabolism. Even in my 20s, with a very strict diet and a lot of daily exercise, I was never was able to lose much more than 5 lbs/month.
  • phoenikia
    Options
    Thanks. Yep, I'm working on building more muscle mass.
  • phoenikia
    Options
    You might want to try decreasing your calorie intake by 100 or 200 cal/day. Use this method until you are losing a pound per week, and adjust as necessary.

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, my metabolism is sluggish enough that in my 30s, I haven't been able to lose a pound a week. If I decrease my calorie intake by 200 calories, I won't be able to sleep through the night. I will try to increase my exercise by an additional 200 calories burned each day. I guess that's almost the same thing, but I don't seem to be able to sleep if I'm getting less than 1700 (total, not net) calories a day (regardless of the amount of calories I'm burning through exercise).
  • phoenikia
    Options
    Cleaning. Cleaning is a good way to burn extra calories. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I do it more now since I know that I'm doing something burning calories.

Ha! Will keep that in mind :smile:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor as well. You may have insulin resistance or a thyroid issue. It takes FOREVER for my weight to budge despite following TDEE, clean eating, low-carb, and everything else my doctor recommended on top of the medicine I take for insulin resistance. IR leads to much slower weight loss. I can go eight weeks without a single pound dropping. It's very frustrating.
  • phoenikia
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor as well. You may have insulin resistance or a thyroid issue. It takes FOREVER for my weight to budge despite following TDEE, clean eating, low-carb, and everything else my doctor recommended on top of the medicine I take for insulin resistance. IR leads to much slower weight loss. I can go eight weeks without a single pound dropping. It's very frustrating.

Thanks, cubbies77.