any other foodies trying to become x-foodies?

I realized recently, that my food-focused ways have a lot to do with my weight issues. I cook healthy meals, and get enough vegetables, but I spend way too much time reading threads on a food-related community site (which interestingly, is how I found out about myfitnesspal), planning out my recipes, planning what to order and which restaurants to visit, planning the restaurants I've visit on trips to other cities, meeting friends for meals, etc. I realized that my 20 lb weight gain over the last 6 years matches up with the years I've spent more time online on food-related forums.

I'm cutting back on reading threads about restaurants, and trying to mostly read/post about healthy recipes, but I'm thinking cutting out all the online food forum time might be the best way to get to a healthier BMI.

Replies

• c4chaos610
    c4chaos610 Posts: 42 Member
    Totally been there... >.<
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Myself, I used to be a huge "eater." I celebrate that now I'm more of a foodie than an eater.

For me, being a "foodie" means I get to spend time thinking about food and enjoying the thought of food. I make lots of tasty, fresh food. But then a lot of it gets put into disposable containers and taken to work and left in the lunch room with signs on them that say "Free homemade hummus" on them.

Is "eating out" your bigger problem than being a "foodie"? If so, my suggestion is to set up a dinner party exchange system. Where you invite all your foodie friends over. You make the main course, depending on how many people come, one person makes an appetizer, one person makes/brings dessert, etc. You host the party this week, someone else hosts it next week, etc. THIS way, you get to try all the fabulous, foodie foods, but you only have to make ONE dish. Just let everyone know the only requirement (besides bringing delicious food) is that they supply either the ingredients list or a calorie estimate of what they bring. It's like tapas in your own house.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am the same way. I instead re-focused my efforts. I am still an avid home cook and still read my food blogs, magazines, etc. I now only dabble in the high calorie recipes (featuring tons of butter, cream, etc.) and focus on more healthy things, recipes that are more veg focused to bulk up the meal for less calories. Eating Well (the magazine/online) has been a huge help.
  • phoenikia
    phoenikia Posts: 31 Member
    Glad I'm not the only one!
  • phoenikia
    Myself, I used to be a huge "eater." I celebrate that now I'm more of a foodie than an eater.

For me, being a "foodie" means I get to spend time thinking about food and enjoying the thought of food. I make lots of tasty, fresh food. But then a lot of it gets put into disposable containers and taken to work and left in the lunch room with signs on them that say "Free homemade hummus" on them.

Is "eating out" your bigger problem than being a "foodie"? If so, my suggestion is to set up a dinner party exchange system. Where you invite all your foodie friends over. You make the main course, depending on how many people come, one person makes an appetizer, one person makes/brings dessert, etc. You host the party this week, someone else hosts it next week, etc. THIS way, you get to try all the fabulous, foodie foods, but you only have to make ONE dish. Just let everyone know the only requirement (besides bringing delicious food) is that they supply either the ingredients list or a calorie estimate of what they bring. It's like tapas in your own house.

Eating out isn't the bigger problem for me. I cook from scratch 5 nights a week, and have dinner party exchanges with a group of foodie friends. I think the bigger problem is that much of my social has been connected to my foodie friends, who are lucky not to have the same weight issues i do. Even though I spend a lot of time looking and planning restaurant meals, I don't actually end up eating that many restaurant meals. But the time spent planning my meals would be better spent on the treadmill! ;-)

This year, I've become even more selective. I'm limiting foodie feasts (including dinner parties and restaurant feasts) to once a month (and making up for extra calories on the treadmill), and sticking to mostly less-than-800 calorie meals focused on grilled meat/poultry/seafood and salad/vegetables, when dining out.
  • phoenikia
    I am the same way. I instead re-focused my efforts. I am still an avid home cook and still read my food blogs, magazines, etc. I now only dabble in the high calorie recipes (featuring tons of butter, cream, etc.) and focus on more healthy things, recipes that are more veg focused to bulk up the meal for less calories. Eating Well (the magazine/online) has been a huge help.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. I do enjoy Eating Well, as well as Food52 . I've also found quite a few of Bittman's recipes quite healthy and interesting.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    I consider myself a "foodie" and this hasn't stopped because I started watching what I eat. I love finding new recipes to try; finding ways to make old recipes healthier; using new ingredients; etc. I love food, I love talking about food, I love eating food, and I love making food. Now, I just make sure that food is actually good for me.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    I consider myself a "foodie" and this hasn't stopped because I started watching what I eat. I love finding new recipes to try; finding ways to make old recipes healthier; using new ingredients; etc. I love food, I love talking about food, I love eating food, and I love making food. Now, I just make sure that food is actually good for me.

^^ i agree 110%
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member

Yup, I'm becomming a smarter foodie now.