Chia seeds?

Options
I'm sure this has been talked about here already, but I just bought a bag of chia seeds because my coworker said they're full of good things and help her feel full longer than normal. I put a tablespoon in my greek yogurt this morning, and although the texture took a bit to get used to, it was definitely bearable! It seems like it's been keeping me full for the past three hours, but I just wondered what you guys thought of them. Are there any drawbacks?

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try them. Where did you find them? I have seen them online but I don't want to buy a large amount until I know if I'll like them or not.
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I bought mine in the healthy section of Hy-Vee. I know Trader Joe's sells them, too! I was hoping to get a small bag to just try it out, but they only had one size to choose from, and it's kind of expensive. I'm just hoping it was worth it! It's probably cheaper from Amazon, though!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Kroger sells them too.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can buy them at most grocery stores now in the health section. Bulk areas often have them now
  • Ferbabe
    Ferbabe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So far, seems like texture and added calories are the only notable drawbacks. I have been putting them in my shakes, baked some into pancakes (that was actually pretty good), and sprinkled them on yogurt.
    My trainer also says they are super fab!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    chia pet - try their web site
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    chia pet - try their web site

I had never heard of chia seeds until MFP. I kept hearing "Ch-ch-ch-chia!" in my head! :laugh:
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've heard (and read a little) that they provide excellent nutrional value. Like someone else said - they do have the calories, but I feel it's worth it. I add them to my smoothies a couple times a week. Texture is definitely something to get used to (that's why I add them to smoothies, so I can just chug them down! :laugh: ), but it's not too bad!
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Theyre an excellent source of Omega 3, and will help keep you feeling full. My only drawback is they
    did give me gas and constipation for a while, until I got used to them.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i use them everyday i think there great. I started using them to get my IBS under control.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have chia seeds every morning in my breakfast. I have sprinkled them into my scrambled eggs, in yogurt and in my oatmeal. If you have enough liquid and wait a little, they absorb it and become more of a gelatin and less of a seed type crunch. I prefer them that way. I have read if you want the filling benefits from them to drink a lot of water. THey soak it up and expand and make you feel full for a long time.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've been using chia seeds for several years; I put them in my oatmeal every morning. A lot of fiber and Omega 3's for very little calories
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear other people like using them! I
  • casandrasdsd
    casandrasdsd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I love chia seeds. You can also use them as a thickener to recipies. Also you can add then to water to help you stay hydrated. I also read that like other gelatinous foods (aloe and seaweeds) chia seed will pass through your digestive system and pick up any toxins.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What's next?

Cat grass seeds???
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    I like to soak them with my oats, in water. Once they are softer they are a bit easier to digest I find!
  • hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So the book Born to Run(great read) talks about the ultra-marathoning (50+ Miles) indians of Mexico, the Terahumara making Chia Fresca out of them as some type of superfood/hydrator/nutrient. This book has been credited with the recent explosion of interest in Chia Seeds.

Basic recipe is 10 OZ water, 1 TBSP Chia Seeds, Lime Juice, and sweetener of your choice (Agave, Honey, etc...)

whisk the seeds in the water, let sit 5 mins, then whisk again, add the other ingrediants, let sit for 10 more, voilah!, Chia Fresca.

if you do not like boba or slimy things, not for you. I think it is fine. I drink it before my runs and work outs, doesn't seem to hurt.