Lean muscle/bodybuilding calorie confusion!

Options
2»

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Track everything - measure your body too. While working out, you may lose 5 lbs of fat but gain 6 lbs of muscle - getting depressed thinking it's not working, when in fact you should be giving high fives ;)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to build lean muscles and burn fat, too.... = /
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What have you been losing at/maintaining at over the last say 8 weeks? The online estimators are good, but the best gauge as to your TDEE is your actual results as the estimators use a bunch of assumptions that may or may not be correct for you.

I haven't been tracking for the last 8 weeks. When I was tracking last I was very slowly losing at 1400, but I was also doing less resistance training then.

Your best bet is the online estimators then. You should make sure your track going forward. Make sure you have a good progressive loading strength training routine.

ETA: also make sure you get enough protein.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat but I didn't have time to read through all the posts but this calculator is GREAT for figuring out how many cals you should be eating....

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat but I didn't have time to read through all the posts but this calculator is GREAT for figuring out how many cals you should be eating....

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

That's one of the ones I used :smile:
    Your best bet is the online estimators then. You should make sure your track going forward. Make sure you have a good progressive loading strength training routine.

ETA: also make sure you get enough protein.

I'm a big fan of meat, nuts and protein shakes so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem! I moved house in August and haven't had any scales until this weekend and I've just bought some calipers (I was using the handheld electric body fat estimators before, but I've heard they can be inaccurate), so I will definitely be tracking from now on.
  • epicshapeshift
    Options
    Oh sorry!! I just now realized that I kept saying BMR in my post!! I meant to say "Daily Calorie Maintenance." And yours is around 1560 or something like that. I'm so sorry for giving you misinformation initially! My bad.