How accurate is my fitbit?

Options
Anyone know how accurate a fitbit is as counting burned calories? It's my first day wearing one and it says I burned over 3,800 today. I know you burn calories constantly throughout the entire day, not just during hard activities, but that still seems a little over the top. I do work on my feet and move around all day, it clocked me at over 21,000 steps which I know is twice the daily goal - but just wondering if they have a habit of calculating high (kinda like mfp)

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I do the Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk and my fitbit is pretty accurate with that.

I am retired so not on my feet all day but for eg. I did my 5 mile walk, then took my dogs a walk, went out in the car and went to a few shops (not a lot of exercise in the afternoon) and I had burnt 2200 calories and 18000 steps. My normal day is exercise, an hour walkwith my dogs (around 2 - 3 miles then just housework and I walk about 15000 steps so if you are on your feet all day I can see your stats being correct. Mine is more accurate than MFP by a lot.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think it is relatively accurate. It is 9pm here and it says I have done 15270 steps, 10.99 km and burnt 2545 calories. I have done a 5k walk and another 2ish k walk so I reckon it kind of adds up.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    bump for more opinions
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    None of those things are very accurate, but the good thing is that they are all consistent. So as long as you keep using the same measuring devices, you'll be fine
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been using my fitbit for a couple of weeks, and I think it's pretty accurate. It gives me fewer calories than MFP. I've never met the calorie-burn goal it set for me--2,184 calories-- even though I often come close to or exceed 10,000 steps. For example, today I've walked 12,656 steps, and it says I've burned 1,518 calories. MFP has 1630 allotted for me based on the fitbit data. (I have both set to maintenance.)
    As an aside, I have looked at the fitbit when I'm walking, and the steps seem to tally correctly. I've, also, checked it before driving, and I've never noticed it tally steps when I'm not walking.
    I love the fitbit because I keeps me conscious of when I'm being more sedentary than usual.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've been eating based on fitbit combined with MFP and my HRM for six months and it seems to be working for me.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Question. Is there a monthly charge for the Fitbit?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think the fitbit is very accurate at all. It is a glorified pedometer. It counts steps when you aren't even walking. It doesn't take into consideration heart rate- for example walking up stairs versus taking normal steps, etc.

I was really turned off once i realized how innacurate they were and how much money i wasted.

I found that using the Katch Mc Ardle formula (using BF%) for BMR and multiplying it by my activity level to be within 50 calories of my maintenance. :)
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is pretty accurate. If you have a job where you spend a great deal of the day walking then yeah I would say it's about right.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I find it very accurate! If you are moving around most of the day then it is pretty easy to hit those numbers :tongue:
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No on the monthly charge for it, I've never seen it add steps when I wasn't moving, I've even tried shaking it to see if it would add steps & it doesn't. I also did the pre-driving check & haven't had it add any steps during driving. It's far more accurate than the old style pedometer that used a weight to track steps. I use the Nike+ when I jog, have calibrated that to an actual mile so I know it's accurate & they track pretty close to each other. I love mine! Maybe where you wear it makes a difference? I keep mine in my bra, that way I know I won't lose it. Tried it in my pocket & didn't count all the steps I took. (check the #, walk 50 steps & check it again to see if it counts the same)
  • valleygirl1230
    Options
    I recently got a fitbit myself and was wondering the same thing! The calories burned seems so high but it's my understanding that it measures EVERYTHING, not just excercise. My question is am I suspose to also be logging in my work-outs on MFP - it kinda seems like 'double-dipping'?! Thoughts?...
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    When I do a set workout like walking 3 miles at a fast pace using my Fitbit and my free Runkeeper app that uses GPS that tracks elevation change and pace, the Fitbit seems to calculate calories 20% to high for me for my stride.
  • Bebr816
    Bebr816 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not had steps added on my Fitbit if I am not moving - wondering if in that particular case if the FITBIT is set on the highest sensitivity level ??? MFP registers my burned calories on the treadmill less than the Precor tm count - I don't get too hung up though - i have a general idea of the activity/length & make adjustments if needed. Even though the Fitbit is a jazzy pedometer - it gives me some accountability!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I recently got a fitbit myself and was wondering the same thing! The calories burned seems so high but it's my understanding that it measures EVERYTHING, not just excercise. My question is am I suspose to also be logging in my work-outs on MFP - it kinda seems like 'double-dipping'?! Thoughts?...

I would only log my set workouts and not my walking around calories. Fitbit automatically logs the walking around calories on MFP I just ignore them.
  • emmah72
    emmah72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find my FitBit relatively accurate. I wore it whilst doing 39 mins of Just Dance 3 and it was within 5 cals of my heart rate monitor.

And don't worry about it double counting your exercise if you enter it in MFP it'll over write the movement in the FitBit dashboard.
  • T33NUH
    T33NUH Posts: 8
    Options
    I got one a few weeks ago and it helps me be mindful of all kinds of things. I have a job where Isit all day, so it helps me remember to walk around when I have a free second. My sister has had her fitbit for a few months now and it is her second most prized posession behind her iphone. I love mine. It hasn't counted steps when I didn't take them. It also helps you keep track of how much water you've had AND it keeps track of stairs/floors climbed. I think it was worth what I paid for it, hands down. Good Luck!
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i have had my FitBit Ultra for over a year and have lost 15 lbs with it. I find that I move more with this on me than if it is not. Next to my IPhone this is on me all the time. It is also great for when I sleep so I can see if I am getting more rest or not. For a time, due surgeries I was not getting a lot of sleep and moving around a lot. Now, I can see that I am resting since the new bed. I am debating on purchasing the new bracelet one so that I can keep it on even when I am swimming......
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

You can wear the fitbit on the treadmill and the elliptical. But it won't count calories if you are on the stationary bike or anything other machine. However, if you have the fitbit one or ultra you can go the the stair climber and it will count that. Hope I helped :smile: