Getting Skinny-Fat!

Options
I've lost over 30 lbs since having my son a little over a year ago (all of the baby weight, plus another 15-17 lbs) I'm only about 3-5 lbs away from my ultimate goal weight, and I've noticed some telltale "skinny-fat" signs, i.e.: thighs are skinnier but still very jiggly, butt is smaller, but lower/saggier.

I know I need to lift to get the toned beach body I want, and I am starting a gym in February. But that's as far as I can get on my own. I just ordered NROFLW so I can educate myself a little more on the subject of lifting.

Does anybody have any extra tips on what to do once I walk through the gym doors? I feel a little overwhelmed at the though of just jumping into it all, given that I've never really lifted before.

Some specific advice would be appreciated, such as, should I keep a lifting diary/notebook where I log my progress? Does anybody do lifting progress graphs, and if so what should they look like? Do I HAVE to do a recovery/protein shake afterwards? If so, what is the best but still affordable way to go on that? Is is worth it to get personal training on the side? How do I know if I'm using correct form? How often should I lift? How MUCH should I start off lifting? How many reps? I am very used to a low cal-diet right now (very sedentary) so should I start eating more on the first day I start lifting, or is it better to slowly up my calories leading up to when I start working out so I don't feel like I'm stuffing myself?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, and I'm sure a lot of them will be explained to me in the book, but any extra help would be awesome as far as what's worked for you, esp if you're a woman. (Though guys' advice is welcome too) Throw as much info at me as you can! I want it all!

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i second all of these questions

and congratulations on the progress so far!
  • gust1247
    Options
    NROLFW will answer all of those questions. It is a great program, just do your best to follow what it said. I just started the program after reading through the book twice. I was nervous at first, but I really love how lifting makes me feel. Just don't be afraid to lift like you mean it! Also, get ample protein
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you about lifting (or anyhthing really) is just to listen to your body. You do not NEED to do anything, but your body will tell you what it needs as you go along.

NROLFW will give you all the advice you need. Do not be afraid to ask for help when you are lifting with form, just make sure to not interupt someone else when they are in the middlfe of lifting. NROLFW will answer almost all of your questions. For example, it will tell you how much to work out and exactly what you should do at each program. Follow the program exactly and make sure that you are really PUSHING yourself in each working and PROGRESSING in the amount of weight you lift.

I think it is a good idea to jounral your work out. It can be hard to remember how many reps/sets/weight you did from workout to workout, and writing it down is good for that reason.

As for a recovery shake- it is really up to you. I like them and a lot of people swear by them. They do help with recovery in my opinion. That said, if you don't like them, if they don't fit in your calories, if you don't feel better drinking them there is no NEED to do it. My best advice is try it out and see if you like it.

Day #1 there is no reason to eat any differenetly. Eat noramlly, lift, see how you feel. It is a work in progress so just keep listening to your body and adjust as time goes on. You will likely find you need to eat MORE, especiallymore protein.

Also- some of this depends on your goals. If you want to gain serious muscle, you are going to need over maintenence. If your primary goal is still weight loss, then continue eating at a deficit, just make sure you are eating healthy to fuel your body through your workouts.

Good luck!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym years and years ago, I got an induction session with a personal trainer who showed me what to do. I think it would be a really good investment to do that because they can advise you on your form. Then you can have a session every so often to check that you're on track.

That's what I'd do if I were joining a gym, unfortunately my travelling life style doesn't really allow for it so I just have to go to hotel gyms when I can and hope I'm doing it right!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    weight lifting baby!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Keep a log - either write it down your way or print it off of their site (newrulesoflifting.com)

Maybe on day 1, schedule with a trainer, have him/her show you the moves if you're still not sure. I suggest looking at multiple videos on the different forms - bodybuilding.com or youtube.com

If your gym doesn't have a trainer, use week 1 as a trial week for the program. That's what I did. Practicing the moves and figuring out the weights. And then week 2 of your gym membership, start the program for real.

The book says 2-3 times a week, so there's your schedule.

I don't know if the shake is required/neccessary. But the Advanced Fortress from Walmart is 15$ for a tub and it's pretty delicious (chocolate, mixed with almond milk - so smooth)

The book will lay out the number of sets & reps for each exercise. So don't worry there. There is a group on MFP for NROLFW, I suggest you check it out since parts of the book are confusing.

And you might want to slowly start upping your intake so you don't try to squat and faint...
  • Miss_Tina_Marie
    Options
    Hello! Congrats on your progress and I can relate with losing weight but needing to tone. What helped me the the most when I very first joined a gym was signing up for a few personal training sessions; I got about 10. The trainer helped to show me correct body positioning (SUPER important to avoid injuries!), appropriate weight levels, great moves and how to avoid plateaus. I'm not saying that you need to get a trainer long term, but if the gym offers a complimentary session I'd say take advantage of it.

It's hard work, but once you start to learn what to do and get to know exercises that work well for you, you'll become more comfortable around the machines and free weights. I found that I actually looked forward to going and seeing improvements. :happy:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hi! I follow NROL4W. Here's what I do:

Bring a notebook with my plan and space to fill in completed weights and reps. There are pre-made spreadsheets floating around you can just find by Google.

Make sure you know every single exercise (watch them on youtube if possible!). This keeps me from getting nervous/embarrassed about not knowing what to do.

Don't be afraid to ask a trainer to show you something. For example, ask them which machine will be best to do seated rows or whatnot. They are there to help.

A lot of ladies say they bring the NR book with them. Probably a good plan. I purchased the e-book so I have it downloaded and accessible on my phone in case I need to re-examine a move.

And, don't let the boys scare you! Chances are if they are staring it's because they are impressed, not because they are trying to intimidate :wink:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Reading the book will answer a lot. As well as other reading sources and just pay attention on the boards here. And just going in and getting started.

My best advice is: don't over complicate it. Just do it. But, do be sure you have proper form (that's the one thing that matters most).

My other advice is that when you sign up at the gym, if they offer a short term or reduced cost personal training then take advantage of that. I wish I had known that when I signed up I could have payed 300 dollars for short term training to get help with form and even where everything is and proper gym etiquette (as in where can I go to do the lifting, because it gets crowded). But, now that I missed that they only offer training that costs thousands of dollars. No thank you. It costs as much as if I were to buy a car and have car payments. Also, make sure you get a trainer that understands heavy lifting, so you are not wasting your time with someone that wants you to do bicep girls with 5 pound weights while standing on a bosu ball.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I know I need to lift to get the toned beach body I want, and I am starting a gym in February. But that's as far as I can get on my own. I just ordered NROFLW so I can educate myself a little more on the subject of lifting.

Good, even if you don't follow the exercise routine, the book has excellent info in it.

I personally didn't do NROL past level 2 because I had a knee injury and wanted to keep to the larger compound lifts.

Does anybody have any extra tips on what to do once I walk through the gym doors? I feel a little overwhelmed at the though of just jumping into it all, given that I've never really lifted before.

Don't let the buff boys in the weights section freak you out, walk in with a plan.
    Some specific advice would be appreciated, such as, should I keep a lifting diary/notebook where I log my progress? Does anybody do lifting progress graphs, and if so what should they look like? Do I HAVE to do a recovery/protein shake afterwards? If so, what is the best but still affordable way to go on that? Is is worth it to get personal training on the side? How do I know if I'm using correct form? How often should I lift? How MUCH should I start off lifting? How many reps? I am very used to a low cal-diet right now (very sedentary) so should I start eating more on the first day I start lifting, or is it better to slowly up my calories leading up to when I start working out so I don't feel like I'm stuffing myself?

I DO keep a lifting diary/notebook.

I have a protein shake if I haven't hit my protein macro, or if I'm really hungry when I get home from the gym and there isn't anything quick.

I don't do progress charts, but I keep an eye on the numbers in my notebook, and if they aren't progressing, I focus on that lift for a few weeks.

I DO suggest getting at least a couple of sessions with a trainer. However you have to be specific and tell them you want to lift and that you want them to help you get your form right. I had a few trainers who'd do basic very light lifting and them focus on cardio because I had a lot of weight to lose. I still see my trainer once a week, but I probably don't really need to.

I lift 3 x a week.

Start off with lighter weights until you have got your form. Then start increasing the weight and decreasing the reps.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm very skinny-fat.....it sucks..
  • brendddda
    Options
    NROLFW will answer most of your questions, including how much to eat on rest and workout days. However, since you will likely be increasing your calories, I would suggest doing it gradually. When I started NROLFW I increased my calories to maintenance, a little lower than what the book recommended for me. I would like to emphasize that if you do not increase your calories, you will not see muscle gain.

Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. The book recommends that your macros should be 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. If you can get enough protein without a post-workout shake, then go for it. However, sometimes it's hard for me to reach 130+ grams of protein and that's why I use the shakes. I would recommend buying protein powder from a place like GNC, not your local Walmart. You really get what you pay for, so find something affordable but not dirt cheap.

The book also includes a log sheet. There is a printable version on the author's website as well. It lays everything out for you-- what exercises to do for each workout, how many sets, and how many reps. There are also descriptions of each exercise in the book and how to use good form. However, if it is not clear enough, you could talk to a trainer at your gym.

Start with whatever weights you are comfortable with and go from there. If you have absolutely no idea, just start small and work your way up until you find a weight that feels challenging while still completing all the reps with good form.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also want to say that I am small like you. I'm a dancer, and have always been very fit and never had weight to lose. I also have 2 kids. I am mid thirties and I did drop off in my fitness not that long ago. So, I started heavy lifting. My weight stayed the same, but over the course of the past 6 months I went from a size 4 to a 00 (that is 3 sizes smaller) and I was eating at or above maintenance plus one gram of protein per pound of body weight (approximately). So, just an example of the kinds of results that can happen. I am also a lot stronger now.