...an what about contraceptive pills?

Options
yesterday someone sent a topic on alcohol and weight loss, which i totally agree to, but what about contraceptive pills, is there anybody else who takes or has taken the pill an put on weight an is finding it hard to get rid of it?

i've been taking them for almost five years, before this i was slimmer (didn't have these hips and boobs at least!) on occasions i would diet but more or less controlled the weight, since i started dieting, giving up alcohol and logging in i have lost weight and my clothes seem to fit better, but i would like to know if someone else is in the same situation.

:ohwell:

Replies

• amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    I am on the pill as well and have been for 10 years. I do notice its harder to get the weight off, and that it was easier to put it on. I just know that as long as I keep plodding along, losing 1-2 lbs at a time that I will be alright. Just be patient, the weight will come off, it just might be slower than you would like.

Keep up the good work!!
  • anthea1989
    Options
    I was on microgynon pill for 3 years and recently have come off it to see if it will help me lose weight. At the time i started the pill i gained a few pounds, maybe half a stone, and then i went away to university and gained about another stone and half. Im not sure if the latter batch of weight was due to the pill but since being on the pill i have tried and tried to lose weight, i slowly succeed, but then i stop being as careful with what i eat and the weight goes back on again SO quickly. It goes on so quickly that im sure its not normal. Maybe im just using the pill as an excuse for my actual greed but i have come off the pill now. Stopped taking it about a week and half ago. So far the weight is coming off relatively easier then before, but this time i have uped my game with exercising so maybe thats the cause.
    I think if its possible, you should come off the pill for a while and see what happens.
  • ngholland
    ngholland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i find being on the pill doesn't make me put weight on 'as such' it just makes me hungrier than i normally would be.
  • SnuggleBunny
    Options
    Been on it for so long I don't know the difference (14 years). That being said, it took me a year and a half to put on 14 pounds and 3 months to lose it. So I don't think the pill causes that much effect. Diet and exercise play a much bigger role.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the woman and even the brand of pill. I have been on a specific brand for several years (to actually stop by periods due to another health issue) and when my doctor switched the brand a couple months ago I didn't have physical side effects like weight gain but I had severe anxiety attacks and mood swings that got better once I switched back to what I was on before. I had been on a medicine before that had a side effect of "weight gain" or "increased appetite" that was not the pill and it was very noticeable...I was always hungry, I have not felt that while being on the pill but like I said it depends on the woman. I think if you just need to monitor your physical and emotional well-being for a couple months and decide if there are any changes and if the cost outweighs the benefit in your life.