Does anyone eat 800- 1k calories a day?

Options
I have always had trouble with losing weight. I have to eat below 1k in calories a day to lose at all. Even when I was walking 3 miles a day. The weight would not come off. I blame it on the hypothyroidism I have. But it is under control and in normal levels now. Just curious if anyone else has this problem and, any tips?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your BMR?

There's few people who post here who would recommend eating less than 1200 calories per day on average. At least for longer than 3-5 days and/or under direct supervision of a trained medical professional. It's simply very difficult to get all of the necessary micronutrients at that level of calories. What good is it to lose weight, but cause osteoperosis and anemia at the same time and raise your overall body fat%? <--- happened to me. Two broken collarbones later I'm here to tell you that VLC diets aren't worth it.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    what does hypothyroidism have do to with ones ability to lose weight?

i have lost over 130lbs and also have this disease...i find this to be a cop-out and just another excuse...

i est 1800 calories a day and i exercise, i have a job and am a single parent for 10 out of 12 months...

so no, there is no way that i would ever recomomend that you eat fewer than 1200 calories a day...

get real, be honest and get serious about losing weight and stop making excuses...
  • hendrixleslie
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and cutting calories has helped me. Because of my thyroid being hard to control at times I did lose and gain weight. Now I am struggling to lose my baby weight, eating around 1200 calories has helped me, but I am severely overweight, I also cut out processed food, sugars and bread. I am 5 feet tall and weight about 175 pounds. I gained 60 pounds with the pregnancy. I would discuss things with your doctor and join a thyroid group. They experience the same things we do, having thyroid is hard on your body and even harder to deal with when trying to lose weight, trust me I know! Took me a very long time to realize that my happiness, relied on taking that little pill everyday in order to control my thyroid, now after having things under control with eating I am finally see some progress. OH and fruits and vegetables go a long way when starting weight loss, I felt like crap for the first few days but after being on this new diet for 2 weeks I finally don't have cravings and my stomach problems have stopped.
  • hendrixleslie
    Options
    having thyroid problems does influence how you lose weight. I mean come on a very important hormone that controls your metabolism is not being secreted or created at normal levels, yea you're gonna see some weight gain. I got this condition when I was in junior high and after gaining 30 pounds my mom realized something was wrong. No I was not eating crap! Now I do agree thyroid should not be used as a crutch, if controlled the right way by a doctor then this disorder should not influence weight loss. I think a lot of people look at the calories but don't look at how healthy they are actually eating. Yea you could eat less calories but if you are eating fries and cheeseburgers then no you will not lose weight.
  • Faithann66
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your BMR?

There's few people who post here who would recommend eating less than 1200 calories per day on average. At least for longer than 3-5 days and/or under direct supervision of a trained medical professional. It's simply very difficult to get all of the necessary micronutrients at that level of calories. What good is it to lose weight, but cause osteoperosis and anemia at the same time and raise your overall body fat%? <--- happened to me. Two broken collarbones later I'm here to tell you that VLC diets aren't worth it.

I am 5'7 and not sure what my BMR is. I am sure it is on this site how to calculate it but I haven't seen that on here yet. I am still new. I only joined last night. Can you tell me where to find it? I know less than 1200 is not good on the body. I was just saying that I haven't ever been able to lose without going below that. Believe me I would rather eat more. Ty for the advice and, you did give me something to think on. Health is the most important.
  • Faithann66
    Options

i have lost over 130lbs and also have this disease...i find this to be a cop-out and just another excuse...

i est 1800 calories a day and i exercise, i have a job and am a single parent for 10 out of 12 months...

so no, there is no way that i would ever recomomend that you eat fewer than 1200 calories a day...

get real, be honest and get serious about losing weight and stop making excuses...

Not only are you rude but, I am sure your not a health professional either. If you think slower metabolism doen'st affect weight loss then your crazy. I was not using it as a cop out. If you would read my post you will see that I said I had not been able to lose weight unless I go below 1k. My only reasoning for this was the hypothyroidism. The weight I need to lose now...was only put on because my levels went out of whack for over 3 mos. Once my levels were stabalized my weigh gain stopped. I thought this site was to help and encourage? not start arguments?
  • Faithann66
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and cutting calories has helped me. Because of my thyroid being hard to control at times I did lose and gain weight. Now I am struggling to lose my baby weight, eating around 1200 calories has helped me, but I am severely overweight, I also cut out processed food, sugars and bread. I am 5 feet tall and weight about 175 pounds. I gained 60 pounds with the pregnancy. I would discuss things with your doctor and join a thyroid group. They experience the same things we do, having thyroid is hard on your body and even harder to deal with when trying to lose weight, trust me I know! Took me a very long time to realize that my happiness, relied on taking that little pill everyday in order to control my thyroid, now after having things under control with eating I am finally see some progress. OH and fruits and vegetables go a long way when starting weight loss, I felt like crap for the first few days but after being on this new diet for 2 weeks I finally don't have cravings and my stomach problems have stopped.

Thank you for your reply. It is extremely hard to lose weight when your levels get out of control. I gained all this weight when mine did. Took almost 4 months to get it stablalized then the weight gain stopped. Now I need to lose it. I wish you the very best on your loss, and congratulation on your new baby:) I will look into a thyroid group. TY for the tip!
  • Faithann66
    Options
    having thyroid problems does influence how you lose weight. I mean come on a very important hormone that controls your metabolism is not being secreted or created at normal levels, yea you're gonna see some weight gain. I got this condition when I was in junior high and after gaining 30 pounds my mom realized something was wrong. No I was not eating crap! Now I do agree thyroid should not be used as a crutch, if controlled the right way by a doctor then this disorder should not influence weight loss. I think a lot of people look at the calories but don't look at how healthy they are actually eating. Yea you could eat less calories but if you are eating fries and cheeseburgers then no you will not lose weight.

yes,it does! and, I am guilty of eating the wrong foods too. Just recently have I tried to do better. It is a struggle and, I am doing better every day with it. That is all you can do is strive to make changes. The weight didn't appear overnight and, it will take some time to lose it. I wish you the very best with your weight loss too!
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

This thread makes me sad. And hungry.
  • Faithann66
    Options
    Sad? why?
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Look at her like a friend telling another friend. She's right though. You may lose weight at first eating that low of cals, but eventually when you eat normal again you will gain the weight back. Don't worry about the scale, just eat clean and exercise the rest will come. You wont have any energy eating less than 1k cals.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Sad? why?

She is sad because its like punishing yourself eating that low.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from hypo and put on weight, the easy part I found was to stop the weight gain trend when the medication was just right, but losing the weight is so much harder!

I still would not recommend eating less then 1200 or even 1300, eat 1300-1600 and then exercise and eat back the calories you have burnt.

The other problem I had though is I had previously suffered anorexia and used to eat a pathetic amount of calories for a long time. Because of this I lost A LOT of muscle mass. So when I got through the anorexia and literally suddenly and for no apparent reason started gaining LOTS of weight because of hypo, my body was on its knees... no muscle, just collecting lot's of flab from my totally messed up metabolism. YOU MUST WORK OUT AND WORK ON YOUR MUSCLE VS. FAT RATIO. You can't do this on a 800-1000 calorie a day diet, you'll just yo yo forever.

Basically, you need to eat clean and work out every day for at least 10 minutes. I work out for 30 minutes everyday and I am seeing results, but not results so much on the scales but I am losing that stubborn flab! I do 30 minutes circuit training, inter-changing between cardio and weights/sit ups/push ups etc. I feel great!

Unfortunately I do think hypo-folk do need to work harder, but its still doable!! Good luck =)
  • losangels
    losangels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i only lose weight when i eat around 800 cals AND work out. I dont have any thyroid problems that I know about, and am overall pretty healthy. I just can barely eat if I plan on losing weight. it sucks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used to think I had to eat below 1000 a day to lose. I thought my metabolism sucked and I just couldn't lose. Turns out I was very wrong and lose on 1800-2000 a day, and maintain around 2300 a day.

When I ate too little, it was the equivalent of getting stuck in snow and spinning my wheels. Gunning the engine - trying harder to lose - only made me run out of fuel.

I had to try "less hard" to lose weight properly. 300-500 below my TDEE was what worked for me.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, were you measuring and weighing everything you ate during your previous attempts? Lots of people here say "Oh I'm eating X amount of calories and can't lose, even though I should be." Then they buy a food scale and find they were eating WAY more calories than they thought they were.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If your hypothyroid is actually making your BMR that low, you need your medications adjusted.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sad? why?

She is sad because its like punishing yourself eating that low.

UTTER RUBBISH, I EAT LOW AND IM NOT A BIT SAD IN FACT IM QUITE A HAPPY CHAPPY
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, were you measuring and weighing everything you ate during your previous attempts? Lots of people here say "Oh I'm eating X amount of calories and can't lose, even though I should be." Then they buy a food scale and find they were eating WAY more calories than they thought they were.

This would be my guess too. People are notoriously bad at estimating portions. I'm an experienced calorie counter and I realized recently that I was eating twice as much margarine on my toast as I thought.

I also second using the road map.
This discussion has been closed.