haven't pooped for 3 days

Options

Replies

• Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it - I was the same when I started my diet and exercise, in the beginning. It will all sort itself out soon :)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    OP didn't say anything about being uncomfortable - needing to go but not being able to. So long as this is true - no discomfort - you are probably just adjusting to a new eating pattern. Have a cup of coffee and relax about it.

If you DO start to have discomfort, call your doc for suggestions. There are too many products out there - talk to a professional.
  • audreygonzy
    Options
    I Understand! I have this problem alllll the time but I understand just 'waiting it out' can be the most painful thing. I suggest a tea called 'Smooth Move' it's in almost every super market I've been to AND it's organic! Best stuff ever. If that somehow doesn't work I would suggest Milk of Magnesia. The taste disgusts me so I started buying it in pill form but it works wonders also! If it continues though I think a doctor visit would be best. After all we are not experts. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    12-16 glasses of water, chia seeds in Greek yogurt, and strength training. Have you given up coffee? Sometimes that can affect your regularity.

HOLY CRAP (or lack of). I have had issues the past week and was SO uncomfortable yesterday (and am paying for it today, I thought I was dying last night).
    I so didn't think about the coffee. I'm one week caffiene free today (Woot woot for me)! That totally explains the lack of movement despite increasing my water intake. Fiber I'm ok on (even eating fiber one bars).
    Speaking of fiber one bars- don't eat more than one a day. When I first got them I was like "OMG THIS IS AWESOME". Tasted great. Ate THREE in one day. I farted more that day than I ever have!

Why did you give up coffee? Coffee (two cups in the morning) is actually good for you and your workout (Source: FitnessRx Volume 12 Number 1 pg. I don't remember)! Unless you drink coffee with sugar and cream.. then you have to just wean yourself off that garbage. FiberOne bars are delicious and they get "the job" done, but they are loaded with sugar, too. Chia seeds, toasted wheat germ, milled flax seed, etc. in yogurt or smoothies does WONDERS without adding additional sugars and a manageable amount of carbs.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    12-16 glasses of water, chia seeds in Greek yogurt, and strength training. Have you given up coffee? Sometimes that can affect your regularity.

HOLY CRAP (or lack of). I have had issues the past week and was SO uncomfortable yesterday (and am paying for it today, I thought I was dying last night).
    I so didn't think about the coffee. I'm one week caffiene free today (Woot woot for me)! That totally explains the lack of movement despite increasing my water intake. Fiber I'm ok on (even eating fiber one bars).
    Speaking of fiber one bars- don't eat more than one a day. When I first got them I was like "OMG THIS IS AWESOME". Tasted great. Ate THREE in one day. I farted more that day than I ever have!

Why did you give up coffee? Coffee (two cups in the morning) is actually good for you and your workout (Source: FitnessRx Volume 12 Number 1 pg. I don't remember)! Unless you drink coffee with sugar and cream.. then you have to just wean yourself off that garbage. FiberOne bars are delicious and they get "the job" done, but they are loaded with sugar, too. Chia seeds, toasted wheat germ, milled flax seed, etc. in yogurt or smoothies does WONDERS without adding additional sugars and a manageable amount of carbs.

The same reason someone gives up other things- I'm getting rid of an addiction. In this case it's caffiene. It started with me giving up soda. I don't drink straight black coffee. If I drink coffee I have to add tons of stuff to it (sugar and sweetener), so having coffee instead of soda wouldn't help much.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a week or two ago. I thought I was going to die, I was so uncomfortable. Here's what I did for about 2 days:

HOT chamomile tea with a generous bit of honey
    Drinking HOT water instead of cold.
    Lots of twisting, stretching exercises
    Preparation H suppository

A smoothie made with:
    1 tbs ground flax
    1 tbs ground uncooked oatmeal
    8 oz greek yogurt 2% fat
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/4 cup blackberries
    Cinnamon
    1 tbs honey (totally give up on a sugar limit today, lol)
    Apple Juice, enough to allow it to blend. Any other liquid that you like would work flavor-wise, but apple juice tends to get things moving for me.

GOOD LUCK!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

The same reason someone gives up other things- I'm getting rid of an addiction. In this case it's caffiene. It started with me giving up soda. I don't drink straight black coffee. If I drink coffee I have to add tons of stuff to it (sugar and sweetener), so having coffee instead of soda wouldn't help much.

Gotcha! Yeah soda and coffee (with tons of sweeteners and cream) would be sorta counter-intuitive to dieting, huh? lol
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husk. I used to go 4-5 days without going until I started taking psyllium husk fiber. Now I'm regular pretty much every day.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Have two or three cups of blueberries. Three cups is only 180 calories anyway and it's a yummy option to get things moving. ;)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I take 1600 mg of Magnesium with Chelated Zinc everyday. It is also is good for your bones. This was recommended by Dr Oz and it really works.
  • Pettygirl
    Pettygirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep the coffee but give up the cream and sugar. Buy the best brand you can afford and it won't take long that you will learn to love it. It does seem to help with regularity.

I also notice that regular walking helps a lot... 20 - 30 mins or so a day.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think women in general have more trouble with that (most of my gf's do) and restricting calories seem to exacerbate the problem. Then I discovered a few things that fit within my calorie budget that helped me.

- No sugar added applesauce (1/2 cup a day makes a difference)...... Raw apple also works well.
    - Hummus (love this stuff with wheat pita bread) ... can actually send you to the other extreme if consume too much.
    - Yogurt ... Greek yogurt is better.
    - Omega 3 supplements ... I prefer plant based ones over fish oil.
    - Coconut oil ... either cooking with it, or supplements.

As long as I have of couple of those in my daily diet, problem solved. ;-)
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt starts taking any supplements. Let your body take its time. it will happen
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I hate this side effect, and it never "returned to normal" for me. :/
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Drinks lots of water!!

If you're not used to eating fiber-rich foods, your body needs time to adjust. Fiber also needs lots of water to help it move along.

Feel better soon!
  • raederr
    raederr Posts: 14
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your suggestions. i do drink 8-14 glasses of water a day, i don't drink coffee, i am eating greek yogurt everyday and at least 3 fruits a day and some veggies, i need more of those. i had radiation in 89 and since then i have been constifpated. i already take a feminine laxative every night before bed. the prunes don't work, the black licorice works, but i'm not suppose to take that since i take aspirin and it will thin my blood too much. i know grma utz potato chips with lard usually worked for me, but i am only eating them on thurs cheat night now. i don't eat cheese since i know that makes me really constipated. i was taking raspberry ketones and that was helping but my mom got me a different brand with caffeine and green tea and they aren't working. i used to take a supplement turkey rhubarb, but when i had my colonoscopy the dr said my colon was black and he told me not to take that anymore. the psyllium husks bulks up too much and that backs me up too. i fell and hurt my knee so i can't do alot of exercise right now till i see hte dr next thurs. will have to wait it out or try my daughters metamucil again. i used to do the milk of magnesia, maybe i'll have to get that too.

thanks rae
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Have you cut your fat intake suddenly? Fat is an often-forgotten contributor to staying regular. About 30% of your calories should be coming from fat.

But, yeah, your body is adjusting. Whatever you do, do not drink anything containing senna leaves. I mention it since I see people recommending laxative teas, and some of them contain senna, which can damage your intestines.

Yes if you drank it everyday but on occasion it is ok. The Smooth Move Tea was recommended by my Dr.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    honestly, this will sound wierd. Go to the drug store and get PGX. its a fibre supplement that runs about 20$ for a big bottle and it works miracles!!!! You will never have this issue again.

Now I must say.... this supplement can be used for weightloss, dont bother. Continue doing your MFP and take 1 pill in the morning every day. Easy thing to do and quote me on this.... You will never have a crappy crap again!!

My dad of all people told me about this stuff and he swears by it now! In his words "15 seconds in the bathroom and you're good to go, too easy!" ahahah good 'ol dads :)

Edit** This is also highly recommended by Dr. Oz, his whole family takes them
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't poop for 3 days does not mean there is an issue. My Colon Dr told me that everyone's body is different
    and not everyone goes poop everyday, I sure don't, In fact I go maybe a few times (2) a week depending on what I have eaten, My Dr said there is no reason to be alarmed if you don't go alot.

I don't use any methods to help or make me go and as long as you go sometime within a month you are fine, it does
    NOT cause your body any issues. This is a myth I belived alot until i had a colonoscopy done and told my Dr about my patterns
    of not going poop very often like my hubby does. My hubby goes daily and more then once a day, not everyone's body is like this.

Before you start taking and using methods to go poop, 1st talk to your Colon Dr about it.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    try some almond milk.