How do you get enough protein?

Options
Just got back from my holidays quite a few pounds heavier. Time to get serious! I started weight training just before I went on holiday and want to really get into it now as I think it could really change my shape etc.

One thing though, I REALLY struggle to eat enough protein. MFP says I should have 150g a day. I pretty much never hit this. I hate shakes so no point trying that. Any ideas? How do you get your protein.

Oh, and i HATE eggs. yuk.

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Fish and seafood are high in protein.
  • kristiontheinside
    kristiontheinside Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Okay so you don't like protein shakes, but have you ever tried the powder mixed with something else? Like in a recipe? Some people use it in pancake recipes and such. I am sure it could be googled. Greek yogurt is a good way I get protein. Jerky is a good way. Special K protein bars (sold in diet supplement aisle) have ten grams.

150 grams of protein sounds like an awful lot. Have you looked elsewhere for other suggestions?
  • You can sneak protein powder into your oatmeal for virtually no taste unless you get the flavored kind.

Or you could try Greek Yogurt. Greek Gods is my favorite.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I get almost all of mine from milk/dairy and chicken at dinner time. If I have a day I can tell I won't hit my goal, I scramble a couple of eggs. Yum!
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i have a very innapropriate answer to this...

:laugh:

which i should probably not post.....
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't like shakes either, I would rather eat my protein as it is more satisfying. Chicken ,turkey, and beef are all winners in my book. That said 150g a day sounds high, I don't think you need to shoot for that unless you are on a lo carb plan.
  • JellyRabbit
    JellyRabbit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    im pretty much in agreement with what others have said, one thing i do, is protein shakes are horrible on their own, i usually pop a couple of scoops into a smoothie then put it in the blender.. cant taste it then and you dont get them horrible lumpy bits :)

peanut butter/nut butters are pretty high in protein too but mega high in fat which does suck :( and such like tofu/soya if you like that kind of thing

I hope that helps x
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    why so much protein?
  • CombatGirl93
    CombatGirl93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

There's always one :laugh:
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissyJessy
    Options

There's always one :laugh:

It would make for a happy husband or boyfriend lol!!!
  • M08distel
    M08distel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am curious as to why your protein needs to be so high. Have you had a gastric bypass? Anyway, if you can handle non fat dry milk, 1/3 cup has 8 grams of protein and it can be added to anything that you would put milk in. Just follow the recipe but then add an extra 1/3 cup dry milk to gain the extra protein.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    what makes you think 150g protein is high? I currently aim for 250g. Its unfortunate you dislike shakes and egg whites. Its the easiest and probably cheapest protein there is, while still being some of the best. Next I'd say tuna, its about 25g per 100g, pretty cheap. Next would be chicken breasts, its about 27g per 100g. I list it behind tuna because its more expensive.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    just check my diary any day works
  • beautmel
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I might try and mix some protein powder in with whatever but I still can't imagine liking it. Even just the smell turns my stomach. I LOVE the caramel protein bars but they are very calorific and quite high in fat.

I've started on a strength and weights programme, hence the high protein. I've never had a bypass!

@Missy- there's only so much of that Protein you can take in a week ;) lol!
  • MissyJessy
    Options
    HA HA isnt that the truth! i wonder how you would log that....