Running shoe advice (high arches/underpronates)

Options
Hi there! I'm a beginning runner using the Couch to 5K program. I did it back in college and it works great. I've been encountering some problems with my feet this time around.

I have high arches and underpronate a lot. The wear on my shoes is on the outside of the forefoot. I went to a store where they watched me run and analyzed my foot (this was a couple months ago when I first started (June-ish), but I didn't get serious until December) and my shoes are Asics Gel-Cumulus 13. My feet are sore on the outside of the forefoot, but not enough to stop running (I run every other day to give my body time to recover since I am new at this again). Back in the summer when I attempted to run the first time, I had the wrong shoes and really hurt the outside of my foot so much I had to take 2 weeks off...which turned into 6 months. Also, I'm a heavy runner (right now at least) at 192 lbs.

So my question is for the high arches/underpronaters of MFP/ people who really know running:
What shoes do you like to wear and give you that cushion that the forefoot needs? Is there a certain brand that you like better than the others?

I'm planning to find a good running store in February (I'm moving to a new state this week, yay) to try some shoes out to find some better support for my foot.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Go with mizuno. Their website has a great shoe finder too.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looking at it now. Thanks! I haven't heard of mizuno.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting I'd go with one of the minimalist shoes. Brooks pure, altra, merrell barefoot, vibram five fingers. Wish I had done it years ago.
  • aprilcjohnson75
    Options
    When I started running 3 years ago, I went to a store that specialized in running shoes, they evaluated my gait and directed me int the right direction. I recently was having issues with my shoes so I went to a new store, one that was geared toward overall foot health and they not only evaulated my gait but also my arches and were able to put me in a new pair of shoes (I think my other ones were okay, I just need inserts) and they also showed me some orthotics that would offer my foot the support I need. The ones I purchased were over the counter as the custom orthotics were SUPER expensive! I have been running with these now for about 3 weeks and I'm not having the issues I was before. If you google a running shoe store in your area you should be able to find one :D Good Luck!
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like Brooks Adreinaline. It is a good idea to find a shoe store that specializes in running sneakers and that the salepeople are runners, they tend to be full of information. Also, remember that you want to track the miles you put on your sneakers - just because they look good on the outside doesn't mean that they are still supportive on the inside. Good Luck.
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Shoes are expensive and they are important. I would check with a store that is well established with the local running scene, but look around to see if they are catering/favoring a manufacturer. If you go in a spot and they only have the big 4...go to another spot.

Personally, I really enjoy Asics, but I think Brooks beats them comfortwise, they just never seem to be as stylish as the Asics plus I can always find Asics in my price range.

I'm only planning to spend between 35 and 70 bucks on shoes. I buy a few pair per year and may or may not change the insert to buy some extra time with them. I also like Avia. I avoid Nikes. Most folks say they've gotten shin splints from them. I like the way Adidas feel...especially the arch on some of their models, but on long runs they seem to get hot...I can't wait to get them off at about 5 miles and my feet are normally glowing pink on the bottom. I've never had upper price range New Balance, but there seems to be a heat issue with them also. Oh, and I like Pearl Izumis.
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    I have - or rather had- high arches. til they 'fell' and left me with achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. So an ounce of prevention on your part would be a good thing, I think

I use orthotics now and it is helping. I have also discovered SAS shoes. San Antonio Style. One thing I think has made a difference is that there is a new SAS store in my area that gets in half sizes. In the past I accepted shoe sellers' advice and bought full sizes. But now I am in SAS shoes I can feel the significant support that half size makes for me feet. I think they just said that because they didn't like to spend money on getting in half sizes. (cynical thought but there you are) Good luck on your search
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice and recommendations! This gives me an arsenal of information to go into looking at shoes/inserts/how to deal with my weird feet. :happy:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As a newer runner, and also an underpronator, I have had great luck with Saucony Kinvaras. They are minimalist shoes. No problems at all in the past year.