Lifestyle overhaul, no results?

Options
About a month and a half ago, I completely changed my life. I cut out junk/processed foods/drinks, and have incorporated more strength training into my workouts. I've always been very active, exercising at least an hour a day, 6 days a week.

With the switch to healthy foods in tandem with exercise, I haven't managed to lose a single pound. In fact, I've gained two, which doesn't make any sense to me. I KNOW I'm not over eating (I've been in recovery for eating disorders for 5 years and overshot my recovery weight), and I've gone back to guesstimating calorie counts and tracking what I eat to make sure I'm eating enough, and it appears that I am.

On top of this, since making the change, I've been more tired and run down than I remember being, and it seems that my muscles (particularly in my legs) are a lot weaker and fatigued than usual. I don't strength train every day, and I don't train the same large muscle groups every session/more than once a week.

Can any of you wonderful people offer an explanation as to my weight gain/lack of weight loss/feeling awful? I don't want to give up, but not getting any results (including non-scale results) is really frustrating. Thanks!

-Trisha

Replies

• Glynis1
    Glynis1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Without a lot of details, my first inclination is that you are not eating enough calories, if your tired and run down while eating well it's usually due to under eating. Also keep in mind if your working out you will hold more water so that may account for the few extra pounds. Increase your protein in take to be sure your getting a minimum of 50 grams a day if working out and also stop looking at just the scale, measure yourself. I have on several occasions when training gained 5-7 lbs but lost a lot of inches. also, keep your carbs in the last half of the day and keep the starchy veggies to a minimum. Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much are you eating? With only 15 lbs to lose, you can only hope for 1/2 lb per week. Maybe 1 lb if you are lucky. What is your workout routine.. Also, weak muscles suggest to me you are under eating.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    About a month and a half ago, I completely changed my life. I cut out junk/processed foods/drinks, and have incorporated more strength training into my workouts. I've always been very active, exercising at least an hour a day, 6 days a week.

With the switch to healthy foods in tandem with exercise, I haven't managed to lose a single pound. In fact, I've gained two, which doesn't make any sense to me. I KNOW I'm not over eating (I've been in recovery for eating disorders for 5 years and overshot my recovery weight), and I've gone back to guesstimating calorie counts and tracking what I eat to make sure I'm eating enough, and it appears that I am.

On top of this, since making the change, I've been more tired and run down than I remember being, and it seems that my muscles (particularly in my legs) are a lot weaker and fatigued than usual. I don't strength train every day, and I don't train the same large muscle groups every session/more than once a week.

Can any of you wonderful people offer an explanation as to my weight gain/lack of weight loss/feeling awful? I don't want to give up, but not getting any results (including non-scale results) is really frustrating. Thanks!

-Trisha

You probably aren't eating enough, also try cutting down the work outs if you lack the energy. Change up your routine I love doing this I kind of lay in bed at night and think of what I want to do tomorrow and never really deiced till I get to the gym in the morning. You said your doing 6 days a week cut it down to 3 days a week maybe take 2 days off in a row ??? Just some ideas hope it helps.

Also make sure you are getting enough protein to help build the muscles back up / recover. and fats fats are good for you just the right kinds is all.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't know the whole situation, obviously, and I'm not an expert. But have you had bloodwork done? Maybe with the switch to unprocessed foods, you're low on iron or some other micronutrient they add to things like processed flour. In particular if you're building muscles, you might notice fatigue from anemia easier now that your body is craving more iron.
  • Trisha_Clifton
    Options
    I'm eating around 1500-1600 a day.

Workout wise, I run for about half an hour, then lift weights for another half hour, then stretch as a cool-down for another 10 minutes, three times a week. One day a week I run for about an hour, and on the other two days I cross train for half an hour to an hour and do some abdominal work.

I eat something both before and after working out, and get about 60+ grams of protein a day.
    I don't weigh myself that often, but I do measure myself biweekly- the only change I've had from day 1 is a half an inch gain on each of my biceps.

I am anemic (always have been) so I already take iron supplements. After the first two weeks of not feeling "great" I started taking them every day instead of every other day, still nada. My doctor did blood work in December for my physical and insisted that everything was "normal."
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how many calories you're eating, it's tough to say you're getting too few or enough. I'd visit my primary care doc and ask for routine bloodwork, including thyroid screening. If your periods are extremely heavy or if your nutrient intake isn't good, you may be anemic. On an easier-to-fix note, you should be getting a good night's rest, sleeping at least 8 hours a night. Lack of sleep will throw everything else off.
    Best of luck getting to the bottom of it. I know it can be frustrating to make all these positive changes and not see the results you want.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm eating around 1500-1600 a day.

Workout wise, I run for about half an hour, then lift weights for another half hour, then stretch as a cool-down for another 10 minutes, three times a week. One day a week I run for about an hour, and on the other two days I cross train for half an hour to an hour and do some abdominal work.

I eat something both before and after working out, and get about 60+ grams of protein a day.
    I don't weigh myself that often, but I do measure myself biweekly- the only change I've had from day 1 is a half an inch gain on each of my biceps.

I am anemic (always have been) so I already take iron supplements. After the first two weeks of not feeling "great" I started taking them every day instead of every other day, still nada. My doctor did blood work in December for my physical and insisted that everything was "normal."

I would suggest eat more and cut down on the exercise. Unless you are training for a marathon, I would cut running down to 3 days a week (better yet if you can take one or two of those days and turn them into HIIT), and 3 days of weight training (and lift heavy, like failing at 10 reps of less to optimize strength gains and hyperthrophy.

Also, I would up calories by another 200-300 calories. Most young women like yourself I know are eating 1700-2100 calories.. If you want, post your height and weight and I can run the numbers to confirm.
  • Trisha_Clifton
    Options
    On days that I days that I lift (and I actually lift, not use silly 10lb dumbbells), my "run" is HIIT.
    Currently, I'm 5'4'' and 137.8lbs
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What level of activity and health are you coming at this from? Sometimes making lots of changes at once (even if they are good changes) can wear us out and burn us out.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    On days that I days that I lift (and I actually lift, not use silly 10lb dumbbells), my "run" is HIIT.
    Currently, I'm 5'4'' and 137.8lbs

I would start eating 1800 calories daily. This is total calories.. Also, if you haven't adjusted macro's, I would put them around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Ideally, you want 1 g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. And the rest is carbs.
  • Trisha_Clifton
    Options
    Activity wise, I've always been really active. I was heavily involved in ballet for about 15 years and solidly running 3-5 miles 5 days a week for about the past 3, along with resistance training 2 or three days a week.

Health wise, I have scoliosis, a serotonin deficiency, anemia, and I used to have exercise induced asthma, but I haven't had a flare up of that for over two years. Other than that, I have no major health problems.
  • Trisha_Clifton
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that! That sounds about what my macros currently are, but maybe I'm just not eating enough. Hopefully that helps!